PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC Segway tour trip report

bdk3clash
09-26-2005, 04:59 PM
I went to DC this past weekend to visit my family and my dad and I decided to take a Segway tour. I pretty much just wanted to rent a Segway for a few hours and putz around but we decided that some structure was probably a good thing so we made reservations through City Segway Tours (http://www.citysegwaytours.com/). I asked them on the phone if we could just go off on our own but they said no.

It costs $65 per person and lasts for about 4 hours (including about 45 minutes of paperwork, orientation, and practice riding.)

I've never ridden (rode?) a Segway before but have been wanting to since they came out. It's very easy to get used to the controls, although the steering is a lot less intuitive than the forward/backward control. There were a few times where I accidentally turned one way or the other when I meant to stop or slow down, although I never really came close to falling or anything.

The tour hit the usual DC monuments, including the Mall, the Capitol building, the White House, and the World War II memorial (which we had to park our Segways and walk to, using our legs like suckers.)

Our tour guide Greg was very cool and made it clear that he didn't care if we rode off on our own and didn't listen to his schpiel about the landmarks, as long as we kept within the general vicinity of the group. I actually putzed around so much that my Segway nearly died before the tour was up--goddamn are those things fun to ride.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend taking this tour in DC. I can't speak to the other cities this company offers tours of, but if they're anything like the DC ones I'd say go for it, if only for the fun of riding a Segway for a few hours.

Oh yeah, the best part of the tour:
Scruffy hippie-looking old lady: "Hey, man!"
Me: "..."
Her: "What's wrong, don't talk to longhairs?"
Me: "I try not to."
Her: "Real fucking friendly."

chuddo
09-26-2005, 05:07 PM
did you take it off any sweet ramps?

i have wanted to ride one of these myself, and a tour like that seems like the ideal situation to do so.

and the scruffy hippy quote is great.

Evan
09-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know of a good excuse for renting one of these in the NYC area?

Paluka
09-27-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is jousting a good excuse?

Evan
09-27-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is jousting a good excuse?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's an excellent one. I guess I didn't write my question very well though, so I'll restate it; if you and I were to schedule a Segway jousting match where might I acquire a Segway? (Just for a day, I don't want to actually buy one)

cdxx
09-27-2005, 11:58 AM
you should take the segway to southeast dc. more eventful than the tour, and the trip report would be more interesting.

schwza
09-27-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i test-drove one free in a brookstone in boston. kinda lame though - i could just putter around a little chunk of the back of the store. the segway itself was sweet.

BottlesOf
09-27-2005, 12:35 PM
That conversation is hysterical. Gives the perfect snapshot. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Edit: Do we think the New Orleans Segways are amphibious?

midas
09-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Nice report - I'm waiting for the Monster Garage episode when J.J. morphs a Segway into a top-fuel dragster or a car crunching big-foot-like 4X4(or 2X2?)!!!