PDA

View Full Version : What level to start at?

09-26-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm quite new to poker, and have just made my first deposit. I intend to play SnGs for a while to see how I go.

Anyways, my question is; what buyin should I start at? It would seem logical to start at the lowest level, but $1+$0.20 seems to take just far too large a cut to be worthwhile. I'm thinking of starting at the $5+$0.50. Is this a better idea?

Sorry for the rambling post, or if this is in the wrong section. Thanks in advance if you can help me.

09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
How much was your first deposit?
Would losing that deposit crush you and your hopes and dreams?
How experienced do you think you are? Do you know what Pot Odds are? Implied Odds? Fold Equity? ICM?

Depending on your answers to these questions, I would tell you to play a couple $1.20's to familiarize yourself with online poker and the general software features. The $5 SNGs are really, really, even to a relative amateur.

Try it out, post hands, post your progress.

(Queue "READ THE FAQ PLEASE" post)

kevkev60614
09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Welcome to poker and the forums. I'd read the FAQ for each section before posting in it. Here's a link to the SnG FAQ.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2821605&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

09-26-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much was your first deposit?

[/ QUOTE ]
$200

[ QUOTE ]

Would losing that deposit crush you and your hopes and dreams?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. The money is not hugely significant to me and poker is just a hobby I am looking to get into.
[ QUOTE ]
How experienced do you think you are? Do you know what Pot Odds are? Implied Odds? Fold Equity? ICM?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I am fairly experienced, considering I have never played a real money SnG. I know what all these terms mean.
[ QUOTE ]

Depending on your answers to these questions, I would tell you to play a couple $1.20's to familiarize yourself with online poker and the general software features. The $5 SNGs are really, really, even to a relative amateur.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing you left out the word "easy" (or something similar).
[ QUOTE ]

Try it out, post hands, post your progress.

(Queue "READ THE FAQ PLEASE" post)

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the help. And I did read the FAQ, it did not really cover my question.