PDA

View Full Version : How To Drive TipTronic

09-26-2005, 03:55 PM
It's a shame that I have a car that has this and I have no idea how to use it. Any help/directions/tips/experiences are appreciated thanks.

pokerdirty
09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Read your owner's manual.

jaydub
09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Bounce it off the rev limiter. It's fun when the fuel cuts out....

dtbog
09-26-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a shame that I have a car that has this and I have no idea how to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm... are you talking about the mechanics of actually selecting a gear, or 'strategies'?

As far as the mechanics of its usage, you slide the shift handle to the right to engage the Tiptronic... tap forward to shift to a higher gear, and tap backwards to downshift to a lower gear. I think this is pretty obvious, though.

As for when to use it -- I don't know, downshift for power (hills, passing cars, showing off how big your penis is), shift up to save gas, downshift and take your foot off the pedals to use the transmission/engine to brake, downshift to try to redline your car, etc.

MaxPower
09-26-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a shame that I have a car that has this and I have no idea how to use it. Any help/directions/tips/experiences are appreciated thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't bother. Your automatic transmission does a better job of shifting gears. If you wanted to shift you should have bought a manual.

I have it on my car. I tried it a few times and it is really a waste of time. My old car was a manual which was fun to drive. The TipTronic is not fun.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-26-2005, 04:03 PM
I like to use it to keep the car in first or second gear when going around a turn. Also, it's good when you're stuck in two or more slow lanes of traffic, but anticipate the guy ahead of you moving over so you can be in the right gear to quickly accelerate up to normal speed.

09-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Yeah just to clarify I know how to physically engage it just not specifically when to shift and what the shifts do.

edtost
09-26-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have it on my car. I tried it a few times and it is really a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]