PDA

View Full Version : Something strange

Ivanapolis
09-26-2005, 03:31 PM
I know, the check-raise on the flop seems to be a little bit strange (?) - but if you would play it in this way, how do you continue on the the turn as the second king comes (against one opponent?)?

Paradise Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?

shant
09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
I'd just bet the flop. Now you have to bet the turn.

callmedonnie
09-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I think whether you lead the flop or c/r, and I lead, you need to bet the turn no matter what. After that I do the usual. Against a passive player I would fold to a turn raise, against a player who I know can make a move I call down. Against an unknown, I call down.

winky51
09-26-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think whether you lead the flop or c/r, and I lead, you need to bet the turn no matter what. After that I do the usual. Against a passive player I would fold to a turn raise, against a player who I know can make a move I call down. Against an unknown, I call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. But you really have to bet this flop.

Since you check raised the better might have a king and put you on a better king. So he might just call down here, thus be prepared to lose 2 more big bets. Your out of position and have to bet the turn.

09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah, the mistake was checking the flop, you could have easily trapped a K who would have likely raised you had you bet. Now you are stuck in a pot where it's very possible that you are drawing near dead. Unfortunately, I think the appropriate play is to call down, even though I don't particularly like doing that with pocket aces.

Rex Ruthless
09-26-2005, 04:04 PM
You have to bet the turn since your CR on the flop showed the K was not a scary card for you. For that matter, the bet by MP2 on the flop could be with anything since he was last to act and it was checked to him. Your AA still might be best.

09-26-2005, 04:08 PM
I agree here completely, except I like your flop check raise if past betting patterns suggest someone in later position will stab, as did happen. But, against good players, they will be suspicious enough to expect a check raise from any hand good enough to 3 bet PF then check a K flop. Good opponnents will have to put you on at least TPTK.

Bet the turn. The remainaing opponent cold called two bets, so see now if he has a K in his hand. If he raises he probably has it, and it's a judgment call if you want to pay to see it. If he calls the turn, I'd probably check call the river unless I catch an ace.

Ivanapolis
09-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Hmmm, what would I have changed if I would have bet the flop?! If someone raises - now I would know (?) that he has the king, and even if I would have reraised I would now have to check-fold?! Ok. But you see the flush draw on the board?! And it is also very often that a king only calls, even if he flopped top pair, good kicker on the flop.

09-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Obviously I'm not exactly sure what he would have done since I'm not sitting there, but I wouldn't worry about the flush draw too much since you hold the Ac. If the guy made the mistake of raising on the flop with Kings, he would have just been lucky making a bad play on the flop. After the flop you are a huge favorite with your Aces against the Kings. Push your edge!

I don't think it would be too unusual for the guy to raise with a pair of kings with a decent kicker.

09-26-2005, 04:40 PM
In fact, now that I think about the way you played it, if the guy is a decent player and holds a pair of kings on the flop, I would guess that he would take your check raise as a semi bluff which he would gladly reraise or call with a strong pair.