PDA

View Full Version : Don Adams dead at 82

2planka
09-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Sorry about that, Chief.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050926/ap_en_tv/obit_adams_10)

jakethebake
09-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Missed 83 by "that much".

Sponger15SB
09-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Who is Don Adams?

RacersEdge
09-26-2005, 03:30 PM
AND....loving it.

pokerdirty
09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is Don Adams?

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is Don Adams?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to say this, but I felt like I would be walking into some sort of gangrape if I didn't know who this guy was. So... who was he?

miajag81
09-26-2005, 03:33 PM
I love how it was BREAKING NEWS at the top of CNN.com.

2planka
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So... who was he?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm shocked that Patrick doesn't know Maxwell Smart, or at the very least the voice of Inspector Gadget.

Among other things, Adams was an avid p*ker player.

Los Feliz Slim
09-26-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Operator: "What number are you calling?"

Max: "I'm calling Control, Operator…"

Operator: "You have dialed incorrectly. Give me your name and address and your dime will be refunded."

Max: "Operator, I'm calling from my shoe!"

Operator: "What is the number of your shoe?"

Max: "It's an unlisted shoe, Operator!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-26-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Operator: "You have dialed incorrectly. Give me your name and address and your dime will be refunded."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not in the least bit upset that I have no idea what the [censored] this is.

jakethebake
09-26-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold!!! /images/graemlins/heart.gif

jakethebake
09-26-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-26-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, I'll pretend. Woe is me.

RacersEdge
09-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Chief: Max, this will undoubtedly be the most dangerous mission you've ever gone on. You probably won't get back alive.
Maxwell Smart: If you're trying to scare me, Chief, you're wasting your time. I don't know the meaning of the word fear.
Chief: You'll parachute from six thousand feet.
Maxwell Smart: I think I just learned it.

Plus, I was reading that Agent 99 was originally going to be Agent 69....good stuff.

Sponger15SB
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, I'll pretend. Woe is me.

[/ QUOTE ]

slamdunkpro
09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
This is the bit that I find interesting.

In 1941, he dropped out of school to join the Marines, lying about his age. In Guadalcanal he survived the deadly blackwater fever and was returned to the States to become a drill instructor, acquiring the clipped delivery that served him well as a comedian.

Imagine Don Adams as the DI in Full Metal Jacket. ”Sorry about that Pvt. Joker”

RIP

4_2_it
09-26-2005, 04:00 PM
I'll tell you as soon as you lower the cone of silence.

shant
09-26-2005, 04:01 PM
I played a lot of p***r with this guy at Hollywood Park. He was a fish.

RIP

2planka
09-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Been a tough year for TV types:

Johnny Carson
Frank Gorshin
Sandra Dee
James Doohan
Anne Bancroft
Bob Denver
Don Adams

youtalkfunny
09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
I imagine this was how the "Don Knotts was a Marine DI" urban myth was born.

How can anyone write a Don Adams obit, and leave out:

http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Underdog/Tennessee_Tuxedo_300.gif

Eurotrash
09-26-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol Jake, I think this is going over a lot of people's heads. very funny, although I feel bad for chuckling at it

BettyBoopAA
09-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Gosh Tennesee

M2d
09-26-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, I was reading that Agent 99 was originally going to be Agent 69....good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you TBS for my first childhood crush. through the magic of reruns, I discovered that agent 99 was HOT!!

EliteNinja
09-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Man, Get Smart and Inspector Gadget were the best shows ever.

RIP

Dominic
09-26-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

RIP

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, too...and he was a fish...but very entertaining. I never saw him turn away autograph seekers once...and they would come up to the table about 3 or 4 times a day...

I was just thrilled I got totalk to him some...very nice guy, alwaysloved to answer my "Get Smart" questions. He'd alwayssmile and zip up when we'd ask if he ever nailed Barbara Feldon.

My favorite part of "Get Smart" was always the opening credits, with the never-ending "security doors" that would open and slam shut.

ilya
09-26-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe, nice.

RIP 86.

shant
09-26-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

RIP

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, too...and he was a fish...but very entertaining. I never saw him turn away autograph seekers once...and they would come up to the table about 3 or 4 times a day...

I was just thrilled I got totalk to him some...very nice guy, alwaysloved to answer my "Get Smart" questions. He'd alwayssmile and zip up when we'd ask if he ever nailed Barbara Feldon.

My favorite part of "Get Smart" was always the opening credits, with the never-ending "security doors" that would open and slam shut.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, all the old regulars liked talking about how much ass this guy got back in the day. He didn't seem to mind them talking about it either. I say he was a fish in the most endearing way possible because he seemed like a nice old guy. I never watched Get Smart, but Inspector Gadget was one of my favorite cartoons growing up.

RIP

ilya
09-26-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you TBS for my first childhood crush. through the magic of reruns, I discovered that agent 99 was HOT!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And what a voice. I /images/graemlins/heart.gif you Barbara Feldon.

Blarg
09-27-2005, 12:27 AM
I loved Get Smart. Mel Brooks made it. Top quality stuff, often very very funny.

Don Adams' clipped voice made almost everything he said funny.

I loved the idiotic Cone of Silence where they couldn't even hear each other, and his great way of infuriating his oh-so-patient Chief. The Chief was a truly great straight man. Their interactions were priceless, and what I waited the whole show to see. This guy should be appreciated as one of the greats. I loved to watch his face as he tried to deal with Max, who was usually oblivious he was even being a problem.

I loved Max's puffed-up heroism in the face of danger, which would usually instantly crumble into shameless grovelling instantaneously.

This was a show that didn't even need much in the way of situations to be a situation comedy; the characters were so good you just waited for THEM to happen more than things to happen to them.

I thought Agent 99 was pretty hot too. She often had a sort of purring sexual undercurrent in almost everything she did. Hot stuff!

It's too bad Adams never did anything of note after Get Smart. He did that one terrible movie, The Nude Bomb, on the Get Smart! theme. He may have done another, I forget. But basically he was over when the show ended. I think he was kind of like Gilligan or something that way -- so completely perfect that he was probably too typecast to play anything else. Movies and t.v. were far less forgiving in those days, and people didn't cross over very often at all.

R.I.P, Max. Thanks for being so cool and giving us so much fun while you lasted!

youtalkfunny
09-27-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And what a voice. I /images/graemlins/heart.gif you Barbara Feldon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it, I can't think of a sexier voice.

MrTrik
09-27-2005, 10:55 AM
A local radio show was talking about Don's demise. They played a clip of an interview with James Caan who was one of Don's best friends. He was talking about one time the two of them went golfing.

Caan says: I look over and see Don nudging a ball out of a tough spot with his foot. So naturally I ran up to him, tackled him, and stuffed a golf ball in his mouth. Don pops up, spits the ball out and says: "remind me to never go bowling with you!"

Blarg
09-27-2005, 11:05 AM
LOL. Impossible not to love the guy.