PDA

View Full Version : Comments?

Drontier
09-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Villain here is very loose preflop and has a brain. When he bets on the flop after you check behind, he has something (even though it can be bottom pair). if the turn gets checked through after the flop does, he will bet here 85% of the time. He peels the flop 80% of the time regardless of pot size and occassionaly decides to chase til river and let his Ace high go. Is this the correct line?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.40 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (1.20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

River: (5.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

Nietzsche
09-26-2005, 02:51 PM
With the limited information you give about this player I assume he is rather passive. If so I think this is a safe fold. You beat nothing a player like that will raise with.

Drontier
09-26-2005, 02:54 PM
well my question relays more to the flop and turn play as opposed to the river fold

Moozh
09-26-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He peels the flop 80% of the time regardless of pot size

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, I like betting the flop and going from there.

kidcolin
09-26-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He peels the flop 80% of the time regardless of pot size and occassionaly decides to chase til river and let his Ace high go. ...

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, Q.
1 fold, MP calls, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.40 SB) Q, 7, 5 (2 players)
Hero checks...

Is this the correct line?

[/ QUOTE ]

That should answer it. Why on earth aren't you betting the flop? Are you going for a check-raise? You have a pretty weak top pair holding. Just bet it and be happy to take it down on the turn, or happy he drew to a backdoor gutshot in a pot this small.

The only streets I like are preflop and the river.

Drontier
09-26-2005, 02:58 PM
My thinking was that this would protect my weak hands as well when I check and miss. This way I scare him with the 2 street checkraise to buy free cards in the future. PLUS if hes going to call the flop 80% of the time, but bet the turn 85% regardless, isnt this a good way to charge him more with a hand im most likely ahead with?

Moozh
09-26-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking was that this would protect my weak hands as well when I check and miss. This way I scare him with the 2 street checkraise to buy free cards in the future. PLUS if hes going to call the flop 80% of the time, but bet the turn 85% regardless, isnt this a good way to charge him more with a hand im most likely ahead with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would be a viable strategy against someone who is trying to get a strong read on your play. I don't think a guy who peels the flop over 80% of the time and bets the turn 85% of the time is really worried about getting a read on you.

By betting the flop, you allow him to make a mistake in calling you without proper odds. By checking the flop, you allow him to make the correct play by checking behind. If a king or an ace comes on the turn you may still be ahead but will be frozen up. If a blank card comes on the turn that gives him a rag two pair you may be behind but unaware of it.

Keep things simple against simple opponents and play in a way that allows them to make a mistake.

Nietzsche
09-26-2005, 03:07 PM
I hate not getting paid on the flop when it is almost a guarantee that you will if you bet. How about bet flop and go for a CR on the turn? Is he aggressive enough that this would work? You risk the free card of course but the pot is small and there is a bigger chance you will get paid on the river if it is checked through on the turn because he will call with a wider range of hands because of your weakness.

Drontier
09-26-2005, 03:08 PM
my read at the time was he would gladly take the free card without midpair or better

rory
09-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Poker is a game of rock paper scissors.

If your opponent peels the flop 80% of the time, then what should you do on the flop? What punishes that? Bluffing doesn't do the job, since he won't fold, cause he peels 80% of the time. Okay so bluffing this guy is right out. What about checking? Maybe if he bets the flop 80% of the time check-raising when we make a pair would be good. But this guy is calling 80% of the time, not betting. So check-raising doesn't fit. But he calls all the time-- so, since it is wrong for him to call, and he's gonna call, then bet! It is as if your rock-paper-scissors opponent has been throwing paper 80% of the time, and you decide to throw paper too. No good. A pro RPS player knows that a well timed scissors beats paper every time.

When you find a player with an obvious postflop weakness like this, you need to verbalize to yourself how you can punish them. If you had said to yourself, "Okay this guy calls anything on the flop." you might have hit on the betting your hands strategy against him.

One of the best sections in any poker book is the back of the theory of poker. It lists weaknesses your opponents could have and the counters to those weaknesses. Everyone should go find that section in the back and read it and think about it-- it's awesome.

kidcolin
09-26-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You would have to do this quite a few times to 'protect' your weak hands and get free cards OOP. However, protecting weak hands isn't all that important, since they're weak. Unless you mean weak hands such as middle pair. Then you're not protecting anything. You're giving free shots at the pot to even weaker hands.

2. You charge him 1 SB more at the cost of a free card with a hand that is pretty strong in this spot, but nothing to get really excited about.

For me, I just think it's too fancy. Fancy plays tend to lead to more fancy plays and distored thinking. Just keep it simple. Bet the goods in this spot.

If you had said he'll bet the flop almost always, then checking would have its merits.