PDA

View Full Version : am i a pus??

mdplayah
09-26-2005, 02:35 PM
bankroll psychology question guys:

I have about 1700 in bankroll. This is spread out on about 4 sites. A lot of people make the argument that it's all one bankroll. therefore i should be playing at least 2/4 (limit). Unfortunately. i only play 2/4 on pacific (it's usually a guaranteed good game.) Everything else is 1/2.

I don't know if it's an ego thing or what, but the thought of a 150BB swing wiping me out on an individual site turns me into a pus. A 150BB swing is quite normal, even for an expert, so I should just man up and accept that occasionally I might have to reload on a site if that swing occurs. But for some reason i'm not playing 2/4; the majority of the time i'm playing 1/2. Am I being a raging pus?? Please help me; my only goal is to make as much money as possible.

steamboatin
09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Okay, it is a math question. Can you beat 2-4 for the same BB/100 as 1-2? If you beat 1-2 for 1.5 BB/100 but can only beat 2-4 for .75 BB/100 then it is a push and play what you want. If your win rate is equal then you win twice as much playing 2-4. I suggest you do the math and take a look at your standard deviation and calulate your risk of ruin.

09-26-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I being a raging pus

[/ QUOTE ]
The best advice I can give is to play what you feel comfortable with. Scared money is easy to take.

And stay away from those macrophages.

chesspain
09-26-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The best advice I can give is to play what you feel comfortable with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jacob_Gilliam
09-26-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The best advice I can give is to play what you feel comfortable with.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and try not to be so much of a pus... it's 1700 for christ's sake.

mosquito
09-27-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and try not to be so much of a pus... it's 1700 for christ's sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

1700 means different things to different people.

And christ could care less, don't bring that into it.

mdplayah
09-29-2005, 02:03 AM
thank you for the replies.

hey steamboatin, i really don't know if I can calculate my risk of ruin. I got poker tracker somewhat recently and only have about 30K hands logged. I've heard that BB/100 is completely unreliable until at least 100K hands. I think SD might converge earlier though. I'm at 14.8/100hands, 11.9/hr. does this help me figure it out at all??

tdarko
09-29-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, it is a math question. Can you beat 2-4 for the same BB/100 as 1-2? If you beat 1-2 for 1.5 BB/100 but can only beat 2-4 for .75 BB/100 then it is a push and play what you want. If your win rate is equal then you win twice as much playing 2-4. I suggest you do the math and take a look at your standard deviation and calulate your risk of ruin.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is sound.

to go with the general consensus its all about being comfortable, if you are not comfortable you will not play your A-game and in result dent your roll.

judgesmails
09-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Like all things life and poker... it depends.

I used to have a straight job that paid the bills and my poker bankroll was a just a bonus fund. So I played fast and loose with it. I played games I where I was only rolled 100 BB and I bet sports, played some blackjack, and gambled on golf with this roll. If I took a hit, it would only take a few weeks to replenish.

Well I quit my job and my poker bankroll became my lifeblood. I looked at things very differently at this point. I dropped in stakes to have a 300 BB bankroll. Played that level until I achieved a 1000 BB roll, moved up and built to 1500 at that level, moved up again and again and again.

I now play most of my poker at a level with 3000 BB. But I play online with significant rakeback and prop deals and very little risk. As my roll grows, I take shots at bigger live cash games and tourneys. Sometimes I win and keep increasing the stakes of these cash games and tourneys. Most times I lose and keep rebuilding for another shot. In the meantime, I make enough $$ to pay bills, save a little, and try to enjoy myself.

Are you a pus? No.

Could you be more wreckless and move up faster? Sure, if you are exceptionally good (top 1-2% of all players) or exceptionally lucky (.005% of all players). But at what cost and are really good enough to do it?

Like water, poker players eventualy find their level through playing. Don't accelerate gravity. You may not be ready for or like the results. If you are really good and smart, it won't take you long to figure it out and move up when you are rolled and ready.