PDA

View Full Version : Rock Venting (no content)

beekeeper
09-26-2005, 02:23 PM
This is just a vent, but replies are welcome.

At our home game there is a guy so tight everyone calls him the rock. I'm pretty sure he takes this as a compliment--he even uses a rock for a card protector. Away from the table he is a nice, friendly guy. At the table, he's beginning to wear a little thin.

My vent? He whines about paying the blinds and complains when anyone raises a pot on his bb. Even when we've just started and the blinds are low, if the blinds are coming around to him and they are close to going up, he tries to hurry people to act on their hands so he can make his blind before it goes up. If you raise the pot on his blind he complains about it until someone else raises his blind.

Personally, I like being in the blind. To me it's like playing a hand for free if it's unraised, as I don't consider my blind my chips anymore. Plus, I feel like you have a great chance of winning a big pot from the blind since you can have a disguised hand.

Anyone else have this guy at your table? Have you said anything to him about it?

BarronVangorToth
09-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Since it's a home game, I would immediately get myself to the left of him and follow JSD's advice (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=838502&an=&page=&vc=1) of yore.

LIVE SIX (TEN / TWENTY / WHATEVER) every ... single ... orbit.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

JonPKibble
09-26-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My vent? He whines about paying the blinds and complains when anyone raises a pot on his bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of poker is adjusting your game to the environment. If he's up against aggressive competition, he needs to start playing aggressive, or get blinded out. That'll be his decision.

EStreet20
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
I'd probably say "I raise" quite a bit.

masse75
09-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Sounds like he needs to get out of the kiddie pool and start making some moves.

/tiltquote

09-27-2005, 02:22 AM
I would raise this guy to death. If he calls you know he's got a monster and you should just get out of the way. But it sounds like 9/10 he'll fold and you can just steal his blinds.

elwoodblues
09-27-2005, 07:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I like being in the blind

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't.

[ QUOTE ]
To me it's like playing a hand for free if it's unraised

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not free and you play out of position for the remaining rounds of betting.

varoadstter
09-27-2005, 10:50 AM
One of the women who comes to my games does this all the time. She also carries a sheet of paper with the hand rankings on it. She's a good friend so we just laugh about it.

Truth is she actually knows what the hand ranks are and everyone knows it. It's just part of "her act". She also rarely raises even when she's got the nuts on the river. See why we just laugh it off?

midwestkc
09-27-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I like being in the blind. To me it's like playing a hand for free if it's unraised,

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't the hands when you're not in a blind the free ones?

09-27-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I like being on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Richie Rich
09-27-2005, 07:57 PM
What kind of stakes are we talking about?

Zetack
09-28-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I like being on the monster stack and not giving a Flying Fu*ck about the size of the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

--Zetack

Lottery Larry
09-28-2005, 11:36 AM
"He whines about paying the blinds and complains when anyone raises a pot on his bb"

Tell him to stop whining or to stop playing. Other than that, take advantage- anyone that tight and predictible is easy to play against.