PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket question

steelcmg
09-26-2005, 02:18 PM
My car has been burning coolant/ water. I have flushed it out 2 times now and replaced the thermostat. But when ever i put water back into my car the radiator is turning the water bright orange. When I flush it out the water is clear so what is causing the engine to turn this orange right after the car is started.

Im also trying to figure out about how long i should be able to run my car before it kicks it. Replacing the head gasket it not an option. I am hoping to get thru the winter, but im kind of thinking that the cold may start to cause more problems.

dtbog
09-26-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im also trying to figure out about how long i should be able to run my car before it kicks it. Replacing the head gasket it not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about your car overheating and permanently damaging your A) engine and B) body?

Is that an option? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

steelcmg
09-26-2005, 02:23 PM
The car has been wrecked and is not in good shape. Im just trying to run it until it dies so i can get a new one. But Im trying to figure out how long i can hold out on getting a new one so i can save up for a down payment.

slamdunkpro
09-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Look at your oil on the dipstick. If it’s milky colored, or if you are seeing oil film in the radiator water you most likely have a blown head gasket. As to the orange color, I have no idea.

09-26-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look at your oil on the dipstick. If it’s milky colored, or if you are seeing oil film in the radiator water you most likely have a blown head gasket. As to the orange color, I have no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct suggestion/reason. The orange is rust.

You don't say how many miles on the engine, but I'm guessing more than 100k. Unless you've been regularly changing the oil, filters, etc., and keeping up with the other maintainance, she's in her death throes. (the next puff of blue smoke you see will be her ghost) Properly maintained, engines will go much, much longer than 100k.

Once rust sets in, frequently the water jackets are gone. Major, major $$$$

Have you checked all the hoses? Does your heater work?

steelcmg
09-26-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct suggestion/reason. The orange is rust.

You don't say how many miles on the engine, but I'm guessing more than 100k. Unless you've been regularly changing the oil, filters, etc., and keeping up with the other maintainance, she's in her death throes. (the next puff of blue smoke you see will be her ghost) Properly maintained, engines will go much, much longer than 100k.

Once rust sets in, frequently the water jackets are gone. Major, major $$$$

Have you checked all the hoses? Does your heater work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres 130K on the engine i usually change the oil every 5k miles but it has been burning oil for about 15k miles. I got the car with about 70k miles and the heater really has never worked that good. The air gets way way to cold to handLE.

i stopped putting coolant in my car due to the car just burning it off. It stopped having the white smoke come out the tail pipe since im only using water now. Can i hope to get thru winter or do u think the car will probably kick it sooner then that.

09-26-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...I got the car with about 70k miles ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Danger Will Robinson, Danger! Unless you had the thing relentlessly inspected before you bought it, you don't have a clue as to the treatment it got.

I asked about the heater, hoping you'd tell me you'd checked the hoses and inside for rust. Probably large gobs of it. That problem usually won't get cleared with simple chemical flushes. The fact that it doesn't work well indicates the possibility of clogging.

Not keeping antifreeze in the system only allows the rust to get worse. The reason you stopped seeing white smoke was antifreeze was no longer getting into the cylinders and burning off. Oh, and antifreeze ain't 'sposed ta be in tha cylinders. But, you probably knew that.

Sorry, I'm not putting any money on you getting through the Winter.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

steelcmg
09-26-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...I got the car with about 70k miles ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Danger Will Robinson, Danger! Unless you had the thing relentlessly inspected before you bought it, you don't have a clue as to the treatment it got.

I asked about the heater, hoping you'd tell me you'd checked the hoses and inside for rust. Probably large gobs of it. That problem usually won't get cleared with simple chemical flushes. The fact that it doesn't work well indicates the possibility of clogging.

Not keeping antifreeze in the system only allows the rust to get worse. The reason you stopped seeing white smoke was antifreeze was no longer getting into the cylinders and burning off. Oh, and antifreeze ain't 'sposed ta be in tha cylinders. But, you probably knew that.

Sorry, I'm not putting any money on you getting through the Winter.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea about 6 months after i got the car i started having problems with it. At first i thought it was wear and tear but the more that happend the more i started seeing there was no way the car was taken care of before me. I stopped putting antifreeze in because the [censored] cost to much money to have to put it in ever week not worth it in my OP. Well i think i ll have to find another way to get some more money good think i just got a 4$ raise. Thanks for the advice .

HtotheNootch
09-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Running the car without antifreeze is a bad idea. First off, antifreeze is coolant as well. It raises the boiling point of water preventing other nasty problems like overheating. So even while the weather is warm, you need some sort of additive.

If you live anywhere the temperature gets below freezing, you definitely need antifreeze. Otherwise, the water will freeze. Since water expands when it freezes you'll have all sorts of potential problems, including cracking the block.

Finally, what is the make/model of the car? How are your mechanical abilities? Depending on the age of the vehicle, replacing a head gasket is not exceedingly difficult.

09-26-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...replacing a head gasket is not exceedingly difficult...

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I've replaced a couple, I'll agree with you. From the little info I've gotten from steel, I'm guessing his mech skills are bare minimum. I'm sure he doesn't have a torque wrench. And, unless he's done more than minor work on an engine, I wouldn't recommend he try this. Besides, I'm sensing more problems than the HG. One thing's going to lead to a long, long list. $$$$$$$$

I gave him credit for knowing the disadvantages of no coolant.

The Goober
09-26-2005, 04:45 PM
eh, if you really don't care about this car, I think you can limp through the winter. Grab yourself a can of that gunk that's supposed to stop radiator leaks (I think its called Stop Leak) and throw it in - it probably won't work, but you've got nothing to lose. As other's have said, make sure to put anti-freeze in because it will raise the boiling point of the water. Pre-mix a big container or water and antifreeze and keep in the car at all times. Likewise with a couple quarts of oil. Keep an eye on your temperature gauge and try to drive the car as gently as possible. Get used to topping off the coolant and/or oil frequently. Join AAA. Relish the fact that your car has officially entered beaterdom and you no longer care what happens to it. Chances are you'll make it to spring, and then you can sell it for scrap and get a new one.