PDA

View Full Version : You don't have to wrestle with the b'ar.(long)

Bob T.
09-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Daniel Boone became famous because according to legend he wrestled a B'ar bare handed. Life is a lot easier if you don't go that route.

The first half of this year, I ran bad after running at about 2/100 for a couple of years, I was suddenly down below 1/100 for February through June. That sucked. If you do that one month, its just variance. If you do it two, its big variance. When it gets to five, its time to look at your game. Maybe when it gets to two you should look at your game, but hey, it worked for about three years, so it should keep working now, shouldn't it?

During this time, my bankroll kept shrinking, because poker is my parttime job, and I spend part of my bankroll every month. So, I found myself with a bankroll that I wasn't comfortable playing 5/10 with, and moved back down to 3/6. At the same time I was wondering why I was running so bad.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that the games had changed over time. So my approach had to change, or I wasn't going ot continue to be successful. This post is about one of the changes, and how I've adapted.

A long long time ago, (at least in internet time) you could log onto Paradise Poker, which was the only game for a while, and look for 30%/7+BB games, when you found one, you knew that the game was probably one where you could make a profit. Probably 50% of the games fit that description. The games where also all pretty generic. About half the players would be seeing somewhere around 20-25% of the flops, maybe you would have one tight guy at around 15%, and the rest would be somewhere higher. As long as you didn't have the seat in front of all the loose guys, you were in good shape.

Now maybe 15% of the games have 7BB averages, and not many have 30% seeing the flop. If you want that kind of game, you probably have to play live poker, but then you would be giving up the ability to play 200-300 hands per hour, so you probably make less money. (unless you are making under 1/100 /images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Anyway, overall players are a lot tighter than they used to be, most of the tighter players are between 15-20% seeing the flop, and the loose ones are in the 30s.

There is one player, that didn't exist back then, and that is the supertight player. You guys all have them in your database, and they look something like 7.5/1.5/2.00. The reason this player exists, is that they are probably recieving rakeback, and if they can play enough tables, they only need to be barely profitable to make some money. $.03/hand times 600 hands per hour = $18.00 per hour for breaking even. Add in .25BB/100 and they are making about $27/ hour for playing 3/6 holdem with very low volatility.

So these guys are in your game. ( Actually they seem to be in the 3/6 game a lot more than in the 5/10. I don't think they have enough talent to break even in the 5/10 and the fact that the game is more aggressive with better players probably makes it too tough for them to succeed at a higher level.) How do you deal with them?

First thing to notice, is that they are playing less hands than you are usually raising. So if they limp, they probably have a better hand than you would usually raise. This means that with your raise, you are building a pot that most likely will go to someone else. If they limp, you need to tighten up your raising requirements, to the hands that you would usually threebet a normal raiser with. If they limp, and you would be the second player in the pot, you probably want to be very cautious about entering the pot. I had been using the assumption that openlimpers were always weak, so I had been raising the supertight openlimper, and then finding myself in a tough spot, when I was headsup against a player with a better hand than mine. So when he limps, I am less likely to raise, less likely to play, and if I do play, I really want to have the extra value of being suited to help my hand out.

Secondly, when this guy raises, what hands do you play? He is raising 1.5% of the time. Multiply .015 times 1326, and you get 19-20 hands. AA is six hands, KK is six hands AK suited is four hands, QQ is six hands. Maybe he loosens up, and tries to steal on the button occasionally with AKo, or AQ. But when he raises those are the hands that you can expect him to hold. How does QQ fair against those? If he openraises in EP, you can expect him to hold the AA, KK, and AKs or AA, KK, and QQ. You probably won't win more than one out of 4 times with QQ. So you can't be threebetting him here, and you should probably be folding. If you really can't let go of this hand, at least consider coldcalling, because you might be saving yourself a sb by doing that.

The third thing you notice about this player, is that they usually have high postflop aggression numbers. You start to think that they always are betting postflop, regardless of what they flopped, but it isn't true. They started with very good cards, and once the flop happens, it is just very likely that they are ahead, their postflop bets are value bets, and you need to take them seriously. This guy isn't making money by bluffing. He is value betting his good hands, and you need at least a good hand to stick around. This is one weakness that this player has. He is used to playing from ahead, so if he limped in EP, there were a couple more limpers, and you got to play some implied odds hand on the button, and you made your hand, you might get him to go off for several bets with his top pair or overpair. He's playing eight tables, and doesn't necessarily have time to figure out that 97 suited might make a straight here. But for the most part, you don't want to get into a raising war with this guy.

OK, so far its all been about caution. But there is one time you can challenge the b'ar, and come out ahead. If he is in the BB, and has a VPIP of 7.5, how often do you think he will defend the blind? The answer is of course, not very often. I think that this is a great time to get out of line. If I have nothing but tight players between me and the supertight player in the big blind, I openraise regardless of the cards that I hold. I would guess that he might play one out of six hands when his blind is raised. Of course, that hand is probably pretty good, so if he calls your preflop raise, you need to be pretty careful after that. I usually put in one continuation bet, and if he doesn't fold then, I am done, unless I have some kind of hand at that point. But lets assume that you raise, and 5 times win the blinds. At 3/6 that's $20. The sixth time, you lose 3 SBs or $9. That's about $2 profit every time you try and steal the blinds from him. Just remember, if he calls, or plays back at you, you might very well be in trouble, so you should be playing cautiously after the flop.

Anyway, Daniel Boone might have succeeded in wrestling the B'ar barehanded, but you will probably be better off, if you only do it on your terms.

BigEndian
09-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Nice post Bob.

- Jim

bakku
09-26-2005, 02:31 PM
great stuff, bob. i don't know if you still are, but stop playing on UB!

B Dids
09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Great post.

cold_cash
09-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi Bob.

Post more.

private joker
09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Very good post. I know the player you speak of, and he's always at my table. But I try to sit to his right if I can, so I have the button twice per round (he's always folding PF when I'm in the CO, and especially so if I raise).

Make sure there's only one of him, or move to a different table. He's not too big a problem because he's so rarely involved in pots. Just put him on your left and take the catbird seat, so all the loose players act in front of you and slide the chips your way.

Fnord
09-26-2005, 09:33 PM
More and more Party 2/4 games look like this:

A horrible player or two
A couple guys playing a little too loose/passive, but know the game
Two or three guys that read a poker book (SSH, WLLHE, etc.)
Maybe a TAgg or two multi-tabling
A couple rocks (of which you speak.)

The strategies for beating this table for the max are different than beating a table half full of really terrible players.

BoxTree
09-26-2005, 10:20 PM
This has got to be the best "How to Deal with a Rock" post I've ever read.

I recommend this be added to the next issue of SS Digest.

Bob T.
09-27-2005, 11:56 AM
I just deposited money on UB again. I plan on single tabling there during the afternoon while I am posting and doing other things on the internet.

Bob T.
09-27-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Post more.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, its getting to wintertime, I will probably have more time to be on the computer during the day, so I plan on posting a little more often.

smokylosecannon
09-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks for great post. I understand your point, but I have a few questions. Anyone can help me so I can understand this post better? The question below might be elementry to some of you guys, but these are the question I had for long time, but never put effort to find out answer. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
look for 30%/7+BB games,

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by "7+BB". Do you mean the size of average pot? So if you are looking for 2/4 game, you mean the game with 30%VP and average pot size $28 or larger?

[ QUOTE ]
He is raising 1.5% of the time. Multiply .015 times 1326, and you get 19-20 hands. AA is six hands, KK is six hands AK suited is four hands, QQ is six hands. Maybe he loosens up, and tries to steal on the button occasionally with AKo, or AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are trying to say, but here is my question. You are trying to estimate range of hands he is raising with based on PFR%. I have problem doing this on table- its mostly educated guess. I don't know how to do this mathmatically like you just presented. What is this magic number "1326"? Also, "AA is six hand"??? I know you are talking about possible combination to give any player AA, but this whole thing is new to me? Anyone can recommend me with good thread on this topic?- how to estimate range of hands based on PFR and maybe VP. Right now, I just assume anyone with VP45 or PFR13+ as the player "who plays anything"

09-27-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This has got to be the best "How to Deal with a Rock" post I've ever read.

I recommend this be added to the next issue of SS Digest.

[/ QUOTE ]

QTip
09-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Nice to see you around more Bob. Good post.

There are a handful of these players at 2/4 as well. I like getting to their right almost as much as I like getting to a maniacs left.

The whole key with the blind game is to make sure you don't get out of line postflop. You can literally rob them blind, but if you get out of line on the big streets with them, there goes a large # of your steals.

Bob T.
09-28-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean by "7+BB". Do you mean the size of average pot? So if you are looking for 2/4 game, you mean the game with 30%VP and average pot size $28 or larger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you got it right.

[ QUOTE ]
I have problem doing this on table- its mostly educated guess. I don't know how to do this mathmatically like you just presented. What is this magic number "1326"? Also, "AA is six hand"??? I know you are talking about possible combination to give any player AA, but this whole thing is new to me? Anyone can recommend me with good thread on this topic?- how to estimate range of hands based on PFR and maybe VP. Right now, I just assume anyone with VP45 or PFR13+ as the player "who plays anything"

[/ QUOTE ]

1326 is the number of possible starting hands. 52 X 51 / 2.

6 is the number of combinations that are AA, A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif, and A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif. Its worthwhile practice to spend several hours figuring out percentages like this. What percent of hands are represented by Sklansky's group 1, Group 2, etc. or if a person raises, 3%, 6%, or 10 % of all hands, what kinds of hands would that probably include. After you do the hard work, then you suddenly become a better hand reader, because you have a better idea of what each of the ranges represent, and when you look at a players statistics, you have an educated guess at what those statistics mean in a practical sense.

[ QUOTE ]
Right now, I just assume anyone with VP45 or PFR13+ as the player "who plays anything"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not anything, but a lot of stuff.

MyTurn2Raise
09-28-2005, 03:47 AM
Great post...reminded me of the most important thing I learned from John Vorhaus' books

"Don't challenge good players. Prey on the weak players; that is what they are there for."

I wrote it on a post-it note and keep it stickied to my monitor.

smokylosecannon
09-28-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1326 is the number of possible starting hands. 52 X 51 / 2.

6 is the number of combinations that are AA, A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif, and A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

So any pair has 6 different combination to make that pair. Any suited cards has 4 combination and any off-suit has 12??? 3 differnt combination to make AKo w/ A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif are combination with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif/K/images/graemlins/club.gif/K/images/graemlins/spade.gif- can't use K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif since that make the hand to AKs. 3 combination for A of each suite times 4 suites, so 12. Am I correct? I think I am, but I haven't done this since 4th or 5th grade in Japan (I am from Japan).

[ QUOTE ]
Its worthwhile practice to spend several hours figuring out percentages like this. What percent of hands are represented by Sklansky's group 1, Group 2, etc. or if a person raises, 3%, 6%, or 10 % of all hands, what kinds of hands would that probably include.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice! I'll do that tomorrow. I can use same method and get sense of what limpers has based on their VP. Same thing, I just have to figure out up to... maybe 40%? Anyway, I think your right that doing this is worth effort. Also, can you suggest any thread or web site on this topic? Thanks again for your advice.

MyTurn2Raise
09-28-2005, 03:54 AM
I personally made my own excel spreadsheet for all 169 starting hand combinations and calculated their expected frequencies. I then added up the different starting hand recommendations--SSHE tight, SSHE loose, WLLH, and HPFAP groups. IT was a very worthwile expreience. I suggest you do it yourself and play around with it.

mack848
09-28-2005, 04:24 AM
I'd be interested to know the pfr figure that you came up with when following SSHE tight table recommendations. Can you remember?

MyTurn2Raise
09-28-2005, 05:31 AM
PFR% according to SSHE tight table recommendations
4.98% from early
8.14% from middle
10.26% from late

LPalena
10-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Great post Bob. Another stat that tells your story is the following. The conventional wisdom states that only 20% win while 80% lose. My PTracker stats nullify this cliche - at 2/4,3/6,5/10, and 10/20. The breakdown is more like 45%/55% over a year and a half's collection of hands.

The players are better than they're purported to be.

My adaptations: (1) Choose games with much higher than expected average pot sizes. That's where the Live Ones live; (2) play B&M more frequently because the games are much looser.

Thanks again for your excellent post.

12AX7
10-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Hi Bob T,
I have an interesting question after reading this post...

If my goal is to earn an income...

How do I get a rakeback and play in a manner that is as profitable as these rocks you've detected?

Can I get a rakeback instituted onto my current Party and Poker Stars accounts somehow?

MyTurn2Raise
10-03-2005, 05:01 AM
for rakeback, check the affiliates/rakeback forum found on the left tabs

MyTurn2Raise
10-03-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great post Bob. Another stat that tells your story is the following. The conventional wisdom states that only 20% win while 80% lose. My PTracker stats nullify this cliche - at 2/4,3/6,5/10, and 10/20. The breakdown is more like 45%/55% over a year and a half's collection of hands.

The players are better than they're purported to be.

My adaptations: (1) Choose games with much higher than expected average pot sizes. That's where the Live Ones live; (2) play B&M more frequently because the games are much looser.

Thanks again for your excellent post.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pokertracker is lying to you. Many more losers are there. This on-going thread discusses it:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3421608&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post3561085

Bob T.
10-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Its a two part question.

First Rakeback. You can get it by signing up with an affilitate. But, you have to do it on a new account, and you can't do it, where you had an account previously. Remember, bonuses are nice, but rakeback is forever, or at least I hope it is.

Second, to earn an income.

In my example, the supertight player was playing 8 tables, and earning about .03$/hand at 600 hands/hour. Or .5BB/100 from rakeback. He was also earning .25BB/100 from his play. I don't know if those players actually make that much, but it was a guess. So that means that total, he was making .75BB/100 * 8 tables. If the tables were each going at 75/hands/hour, that works out to about 4.5 BB/hour for playing that way.

But there is another way to approach the game. Lets say you only played four tables at a time. You get the same .03/hand in rakeback, but you beat the games for 1.5BB/100 at the same time. That means that you would make about 2BB/100 times four tables, or About 6BB/hour.

I think that with a little study, beating online 3/6 for 1.5BB/100 is a fairly reachable goal for anyone with reasonable intelligence and reasonable discipline.

By playing that way, you make more money/hour, you probably learn more poker skills, that will enable you to play higher later on, and you probably have a lot more fun, because you get to play some suited connectors, small pairs, and other hands that you can't play if you are playing 8 tables at once, because they require attention and some skill to handle properly.

I think for most players, playing a small enough number of tables so that they can make at least 1.5BB/100 at whatever limit they are playing is probably the best approach to long term profitability. For a long time, I was a two table player, and now I've moved up to playing four. But, I still am comfortable playing four, and if I'm involved in a couple of other hands, I probably pass on some marginally profitable situations, but at the same time, I can still get involved and try and play my way into a profit with some marginal hands. (and those hands usually really are a lot more fun and more interesting to play than AA).

Anyway, I think the best way to earn money from playing poker is to learn how to beat the game, and then remember to apply that.

Part of my motivation for making this post, was that I wanted players that play that way to have a harder time. If everyone who reads this forum is constantly pounding on these guys blinds, they probably are going to be making a lot less money, and eventually will either have to come out and play the game, or get a real job.

12AX7
10-04-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi Bob T.,
Points well taken. However, despite reading plenty of 2+2 and Hilger... I find I am still a -EV to break even player at absolute best.

No idea why that is. I've read 2+2 stuff on and off since 1999. Along with doses of everything from Super System to Mike Caro.

Well, fact is, I've never recoved the cost of the books, even, as true profit, over and above my starting bankroll.

So can't say what I'm doing wrong. But it "ain't" workin'.

I keep reading "anyone can read the books and do it"... Ed Miller wants us to "crush the game"... all the fish on Party, "With a little study" etc.

Never seems to work.

No doubt it's me. Ed for example, dumped Microsoft to do it. Dynasty says he did it starting with just 19 hours under his belt.

Now, I don't know *how* they've done it.

And therein lies the rub.

I'd say lifetime (started playing for the first time in '99) I'm probably in the red a few thousand plust books and the time spent. (Went on a long hiatus from playing for a few years, didn't have the time, career and all that.)

But anyway, you read about this quick successes and have to wonder where you're going wrong.

So to me. To make back what I've lost already, would be great. Even if it was rakeback gaming or whatever. LOL!

Perhaps I just need to pay Ed, Dave, and Mason to just beat me about the head and shoulders with this stuff until it sinks in. LOL!

Jdanz
10-12-2005, 01:23 AM
the reason you see this at 3/6 is because you can play tighter and be profitable.

3/6 - 2/3 BB per orbit
5/10 - 7/10 BB per orbit
10/20 - 3/4 BB per orbit
15/30 - 5/6 BB per orbit

The less BB per orbit you pay in blinds, the tighter the optimal strategy is.

10-13-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally made my own excel spreadsheet for all 169 starting hand combinations and calculated their expected frequencies. I then added up the different starting hand recommendations--SSHE tight, SSHE loose, WLLH, and HPFAP groups. IT was a very worthwile expreience. I suggest you do it yourself and play around with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

how did you do this? can you post this on a website or a server for everyone to see....seems very educational
thanks

MyTurn2Raise
10-13-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how did you do this? can you post this on a website or a server for everyone to see....seems very educational
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh...I don't have such access. If someone wants to PM me their email address who is willing to post this, I can fire off a copy to them. It will even force me to clean it up a bit for presentation stylie points.