PDA

View Full Version : When your Axs hits the Ace.

Huh
05-13-2003, 12:15 PM
A pretty good 3-3-6-9 game.

I am in the Big Blind with Ac6c, 4 callers, a raise by a loose-aggressive player on the button, the SB calls, as well as myself. 6 people take the flop which comes down

A J 2 two-tone, no clubbies.

Check, I check, gets checked around to the LAG who bets, a caller and I think. LAG could have a wide variety of hands. I think about ten-seconds, trying to decide whether to raise or fold, and than I think, hmmm…probably waited to long to intimidate someone, theres two cards to broadway, a two flush , and I fold. Of course the turn and river came A 6, but my Ace would have been good on its own.

Comments appreciated. Also…This structure is wreaking havoc on my record keeping. What is a big bet in this game, $6 or $9. I’ve been using $7.50, but $9 would look better on in my books as it means I only dropped 15BB and not 18. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Huh /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Tyler Durden
05-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Huh, back from the dead!!

I think the odds are better of those draws NOT coming through than they are of them coming through, so a raise would be correct.

Good to see you've made your grand return. See ya Thursday.

Dynasty
05-13-2003, 01:34 PM
I think about ten-seconds, trying to decide whether to raise or fold

There's nothing wrong with calling there. It's often the best choice and should always be considered. You didn't list it as an option and that's a big mistake.

An A,J,2 flop isn't a bad flop for A6 since it was a LAG who raised pre-flop. If the board pairs the 2 or if a runner-runner pair comes, you've suddenly got a Jack kicker to bail you out those times you're up against AT-A7. When you don't get lucky, AT-A7 is usually so afraid that they are outkicked that they don't bet their hand. They give you free cards or a free showdown.

You shouldn't be folding top pair of Aces simply because a LAG bet. You can't give a true LAG's bets that kind of respect.

Zag
05-13-2003, 02:20 PM
I agree that a call is a reasonable option only if the AJ2 flop is a rainbow. With that big river bet available, the flush draws have much better implied odds. Therefore, you really want them gone on the flop, or at least paying double for the draw.

Of course, you only want to make the raise if you think you might be ahead of the LAG bettor. It's worth taking 10 seconds to try to get a read on him, and then you shouldn't feel bad about raising after the delay. People are as likely to think that you were considering flat-calling with your set as they are to think that you were considering folding your top pair, no kicker.

Anyway, once you've made your read on him, trust it and move on. If it turns out it was wrong, try to improve your reading skills (preferably in hands in which you aren't involved), but don't second-guess your fold because of results.

NutFlop
05-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Just wanted to ask where this was played (Assuming this was a live game). There is a 3-6-9 game near where I live and was wondering if you were there.

NutFlop

Huh
05-13-2003, 05:13 PM
It was a home game in the DC area.

I thought this was a raise or fold situation given the texture of the board. I guess I should have also considered calling, since I wasn't concerned about over-cards.

My true fear was that someone was going for a check-raise with a big-ace, or some other hand. I also though, hmmmm with two hearts out there, if I call and someone calls behind me, any heart draw is going to pump it, and I'll be caught in the middle. Just didn't want to invest any more on this hand. Probably a bad mindset.

-Huh /forums/images/icons/confused.gif