PDA

View Full Version : Random discount => tip situation?

captZEEbo1
09-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Sorry about ANOTHER tipping thread, but oh well.

My 2 friends and I go into steak n shake at 4:30am (no managers are working now), we're the only ones there. We order three shakes and the price would normally be around $9.50. The waitress "accidentally" rings it up as 3 junior shakes for a final price of $4.50. How much money do you leave? I gave her $10 total for a $5.50 tip.

pokerdirty
09-26-2005, 10:37 AM
sounds about right to me

swede123
09-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Isn't Steak n' Shake a fast food place, that you can usually find in malls? Personally I would have told her she rung it up wrong, paid the correct amount and not tipped a penny.

Swede

captZEEbo1
09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
It's standard to tip at steak n shake. I don't see them around malls in the midwest (USA). They have a drive-through and a dine-in, for dine-in it's pretty much like a normal restaurant.

Shajen
09-26-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Steak n' Shake a fast food place, that you can usually find in malls? Personally I would have told her she rung it up wrong, paid the correct amount and not tipped a penny.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no you wouldn't have.

Or would you have? I don't know.

RunDownHouse
09-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Its a fast food place, but they have table service.

swede123
09-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Do they refill your drink for you? I usually don't leave a normal tip at places where you order your food at the counter, then sit down and wait for it to be delivered. To me the wait staff at places like this aren't doing anything close to what a waitress at a real sit-down restaurant is doing, so I usually leave a buck per person when it's time to leave.

Swede

RunDownHouse
09-26-2005, 10:57 AM
By table service I meant full table service, yes.

SmileyEH
09-26-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't understand how employees stealing from their company should be commended. I used to give my friends extra food, but I wouldn't want to receive a big tip-id just feel guilty.

-SmileyEH

jba
09-26-2005, 11:07 AM
in this situation I would also have paid $10. basically when something like this happens I will usually pay at least what my check would have been, and look at it as I just saved the tip. unless it is outrageous, then I usually split the winnings with the server. for example if you'd order $20 worth of shakes and she rang you up for $5 I would have left 12-13.

GuyOnTilt
09-26-2005, 11:17 AM
If I noticed something wrong and thought it was a mistake I would say something about it. But I don't really see anything wrong with you doing what you did. At more restaurant'ish restaurants, I very rarely look at the check before just sliding my card halfway inside, but servers give free stuff often enough on purpose that I don't think the possibility of something left off being a mistake would cross my mind even if I did notice it. Maybe if it's something absurd and the server never mentioned anything or seemed like they especially liked our table I guess. But yeah, it's commonplace enough that I would just tip more if I noticed.

GoT

09-26-2005, 11:20 AM
The answer to this question, and in fact many other questions, is do whatever makes you feel best

PoBoy321
09-26-2005, 11:32 AM
I would probably mention it to the waitress and if she said "no, don't worry about it" and was just giving us a discount, I would give her the same tip as if I had paid full price.

nothumb
09-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Think you played it fine.

NT

Sponger15SB
09-26-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how employees stealing from their company should be commended. I used to give my friends extra food, but I wouldn't want to receive a big tip-id just feel guilty.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you're at a bar and the bartender gives you a free shot you're going to give him $0?