PDA

View Full Version : Let's redo the 1995 best film oscar winner...

diebitter
09-26-2005, 06:05 AM
Okay, the result here, for me, was the point I gave up on the oscars. Just wondered what OOTers thought. Vote your favourite please.

MelK
09-26-2005, 06:11 AM
It took you that long to figure out the Oscar voters are morons?

diebitter
09-26-2005, 06:18 AM
No, I never rated the oscars that highly (funnily enough, the 1968 or 69 one sealed that when I was a budding film buff, and it was Oliver beating 2001, but since then I've actually come to the conclusion that Oliver is better! (sacrilege!))

lem45216
09-26-2005, 06:47 AM
Thats a ridiculous shortlist, at least 3 of those films are in my top 10 i reckon, it's just which one is higher. Argh. Decisions decisions.

Vavavoom
09-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Forrest Gump...

Shawshank is second

Pulp Fiction 3rd....IMO

diebitter
09-26-2005, 06:50 AM
er, I didn't come up with it, it's the shortlist of the best film of 1995 Oscars. I have a theory that FG won cos of a split vote myself, and wanted to see what happened in OOT.

What are your 3? I'm intrigued.

lem45216
09-26-2005, 06:51 AM
It was pretty much a coinflip between Shawshank and Pulp Fiction for me, with Forest Gump coming in a close third. In the end Shawshank took it because i remember being slightly bored in one part of pulp fiction, that was all. It was close though. 51/49 i say.

[ QUOTE ]
er, I didn't come up with it, it's the shortlist of the best film of 1995 Oscars. I have a theory that FG won cos of a split vote myself, and wanted to see what happened in OOT.

What are your 3? I'm intrigued.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah i know, i'm just thinking that the oscar voter people had a tough choice that year. 1995, a good year for films.

wjmooner
09-26-2005, 10:42 AM
The correct answer for this year is a movie that couldn't even get nominated for best documentary: Hoop Dreams.

WJ

samjjones
09-26-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats a ridiculous shortlist, at least 3 of those films are in my top 10 i reckon, it's just which one is higher. Argh. Decisions decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hear you. "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Quiz Show" are in my top 10, too.

Not.

kitaristi0
09-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Pulp Fiction. At least it won Best Screenplay (i think).

ClaytonN
09-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Forrest Gump is an amazing movie, but I have it below Shawshank when it comes to a drama.

Pul Fiction is definitely better than both, but doesn't really fit into the kind of movie oscar best picture voters are looking for.

PoBoy321
09-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Pulp Fiction is highly overrated among posters on this board.

razor
09-26-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be, but not nearly as overrated as Forrest Gump.

diebitter
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a masterpiece, bud.

That is, it's a piece of work that demonstrates the maker of it is a master of his profession, and I think it amply fulfils that description.

imported_The Vibesman
09-26-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the same of Forrest Gump. To see it getting any votes at all is a total shock to me. It's a piece of schlock. Maybe it would have been better if the script had been a story and not an excuse to use new digital technology to spice the hero into as much historical footage as possible, while putting together a best-selling soundtrack album. I'm surprised he never did a duet with Nat King Cole in that silly pile of trash. It's humorous and entertaining at times, sure, like Scary Movie 3.

Shawshank is great, but is outshined by its source material, Stephen King's fantastic novella, "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption." Darabont does a great job bringing King's story alive on the screen, but there's nothing groundbreaking there in terms of filmaking.

I think Pulp Fiction may be the best movie of the entire 1990s. Clear winner.

ChipWrecked
09-26-2005, 12:08 PM
I liked 'Gump Fiction'.

"I'ma get medievel on your buttocks...."

istewart
09-26-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

miajag81
09-26-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the same of Forrest Gump. To see it getting any votes at all is a total shock to me. It's a piece of schlock. Maybe it would have been better if the script had been a story and not an excuse to use new digital technology to spice the hero into as much historical footage as possible, while putting together a best-selling soundtrack album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no.

You are right about Pulp Fiction being clearly the best film of the 90s though.

Voltron87
09-26-2005, 01:37 PM
what an insanely awesome year of films. wow.

Hamish McBagpipe
09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
These are some of the best American movies of the last 20 years. Although some are overrated.

I have to say that Quiz Show, although impossible to award the best picture oscar over some of the other selections, is perhaps one of the most perfectly made films ever. Acting, script, direction, everything. It's too bad the whole story isn't as gripping as the others. The only selection that is UNDERrated.

bravos1
09-26-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The correct answer for this year is a movie that couldn't even get nominated for best documentary: Hoop Dreams.

WJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movie, no doubt! Should of won (and been nominated) for best documentary. IIRC, this was somewhat of a scandal and actually changed the way the nomination votes were done.

BUT, I still don't think it is is close to Shawshank, Gump, or Pulp Fiction, and has a somewhat select viewing audience.

My vote here was Shawshank Redeption followed closely by Forrest Gump, then Pulp Fiction.

As stated earlier... WHAT A YEAR for films!

miajag81
09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
1) Pulp Fiction
2) Forrest Gump
3) Shawshank

Four Weddings and a Funeral wasn't that great, and I haven't see Quiz Show.

CCass
09-26-2005, 02:00 PM
1983 was the year that did it for me. Ghandi won over E.T. One of the several times Spielberg got screwed.

Jeff W
09-26-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BUT, I still don't think [Hoop Dreams] is close to Shawshank, Gump, or Pulp Fiction, and has a somewhat select viewing audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoop Dreams is a great film and it outclasses Gump, Pulp Fiction and Shawshank.

Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption are overrated.

Cancuk
09-26-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't there's really much question that Pulp Fiction is the 'best' movie..but Forest Gump is, without question, going to win the Oscar everytime...it's just one of those movies. see: English Pacient, Titanic, Braveheart, etc.

sirio11
09-26-2005, 03:34 PM
I think the title is a little misleading, since it should be the best 1994 film. The films were released in 1994. Definetely, one of the best years in oscar history, 4 wed and a fun is a good movie, but the other 4 are masterpieces.

Army Eye
09-26-2005, 03:41 PM
When Forrest Gump inexplicably won this over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption, I put the Oscars on probation.

When Julia Roberts beat Ellen Burstyn for best actress, that's when I officially dropped the Oscars from my consciousness.

SomethingClever
09-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Even though Pulp Fiction is my favorite of these films and perhaps the most groundbreaking, I would have been OK if Shawshank had won, because it's pretty damn great as well.

Forrest Gump winning just made me want to puke.

34TheTruth34
09-27-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what an insanely awesome year of films. wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

ripdog
09-27-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1983 was the year that did it for me. Ghandi won over E.T. One of the several times Spielberg got screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ghandi was and is 1000 times better than E.T.

Klepton
09-27-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
split vote

[/ QUOTE ]

and what vibesmen said.

pulp all the way.

MCS
09-27-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR.