PDA

View Full Version : Does this play have any merit?

Mikey
05-13-2003, 06:29 AM
I'm in the SB with QQ.

A middle position player opens with a raise.

the button ( a fairly decent player ) cold calls.

I call.

What are the advantages and disadvatages of
a) calling
b) reraising

Would the type of opponnents you are up against alter your decision. Would the type of opponnent in the BB alter you decision?

rayrns
05-13-2003, 06:47 AM
How do you intend to play the hand. If you just call, are you going to check to the opener? If you do, you have no idea where you stand in the hand. I think a raise here would be better. Then if the opener re-raises you can figure you may be behind a bigger pair. If he just calls then he may have opened with big suited connectors or a medium pair. By raising you can get a better idea of how to play your opponent after the flop.

KSFW&L
05-13-2003, 07:32 AM
If there is an advantage to calling - as opposed to raising - I don't know what it is/could be.

With AA or perhaps even KK calling MIGHT be a viable option but with QQ I want the BB to either fold or pay the maximum to see the flop.

The raisor is capable of having anything from trash to treasure, but he's not your main concern.

The button is unlikely to pose a serious threat; if he had a big hand it seems likely he would 3-bet. (You did describe him as "fairly decent").

Your hand is too good not to 3-bet, but NOT good enough to slowplay.

The players you are up against always matter, but here I'd have to say unless there is something extremely unusual about them it wouldn't seem to matter a great deal.

Recap:

1. The pot is open-raised form middle position; the "typical" player does not need a big hand to do this.

2. A "fairly decent" player cold-calls on the button; the typical player will often have a hand that is too good to fold, but too weak to try to isolate the opener. (JTs?)

3. You are next to act. If you call, the BB, in spite of his poor position, DOES have position over YOU. There are 7 bets in the pot; calling allows the BB to correctly (IMO) play ALOT of hands - he's getting 7-1 on his call, and his call closes the action.

If I missed anything, please let me know.

How did it turn out ?

- L -

Dynasty
05-13-2003, 09:11 AM
As long as you get a post-flop check-raise in on a non Ace,King-high board, your call with QQ if fine.

Mikey
05-14-2003, 08:23 AM
I called saying that if i would survive the flop I would be able to get in a checkraise.( a little Mike Caro thinking )

The BB called.

The flop was dealt. 6 6 5.

I CHECK
BB checks
OPEN RAISER BETS AS EXPECTED
BUTTON CALLS
I RAISE
BB 3bets
Open raiser caps it.
Button folds
I fold.