PDA

View Full Version : A fancy play I make against certian players. How stupid?

brick
09-26-2005, 02:44 AM
feurinho78 just sat down and posted the BB.
He is a 59/37/2.45 and he likes to push me around.

I was planning to take this line when I raised preflop. I knew he would 3-bet preflop and bet every street.

How stupid?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Brickster is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Brickster raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Brickster calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Brickster checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Brickster calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Brickster checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Brickster calls.

River: (6 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Brickster checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Brickster raises</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

ArturiusX
09-26-2005, 02:54 AM
If you think he can laydown, it might be a good play.

The only thing is, is the 7 a good card to do this on? I'd prefer an ace.

brick
09-26-2005, 03:01 AM
I think he think I'm slow playing two pair. I don't think he thinks the 7 helped me.

pyroponic
09-26-2005, 03:04 AM
Seems very expensive if it fails, is it really worth it? I would think that if you wanted to do this a check/raise on the turn accomplishes your objective for 1 BB less. Also you might have more folding equity because their effective odds are now less.

sthief09
09-26-2005, 03:06 AM
even though he sucks, he's probably the last type of player I'd want to raise J high against out of position headsup. he's coming along, and he's going to try to take the pot away at some point.

brick
09-26-2005, 03:09 AM
That's true. This is an easy fold PF without my super sneaky plan to check-raise the river no matter what.

slik
09-26-2005, 03:12 AM
bluff raising the river with a higher frequency than normal is profitable against this type of opponent, but i would only smooth call preflop or perhaps even fold, especially if you know you're gonna be 3 bet.

ArturiusX
09-26-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's true. This is an easy fold PF without my super sneaky plan to check-raise the river no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a terrible fold preflop.

brick
09-26-2005, 03:28 AM
This player is a good hand reader, very agressive, and will put you to the test every hand.

donger
09-26-2005, 04:22 AM
So just to clarify, are you saying fold pf or jiust smooth call? Situations like this have been puzzling me lately

Vaftrudner
09-26-2005, 04:28 AM
I just love this! (But then I'm a degenerate gambler...) /v

ArturiusX
09-26-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So just to clarify, are you saying fold pf or jiust smooth call? Situations like this have been puzzling me lately

[/ QUOTE ]

In blind wars against an aggressive opponent, you really should be calling with any playable hand.

sthief09
09-26-2005, 04:39 AM
I'm bad HU, so I don't know. raising just seems wrong. if you call he's going to raise, so I don't know fi that's better. personally, I'd fold because I know I won't play it well

baronzeus
09-26-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm bad HU, so I don't know. raising just seems wrong. if you call he's going to raise, so I don't know fi that's better. personally, I'd fold because I know I won't play it well

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, this is something you told me at a 2p2 table and ive definitely tightened up against aggressive players in hte SB. definitely +EV

ArturiusX
09-26-2005, 05:47 AM
Disregard my post, I thought hero was the BB, where its an easy call.

J9o is mathematically better than 50% of our villians possible holdings, doesnt this make it a blind steal hand?

09-26-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
feurinho78 just sat down and posted the BB.
He is a 59/37/2.45 and he likes to push me around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. He likes to push me around too and I'm 23/16/2.5. Maybe it's not just us. Maybe he plays like that against everyone.

09-26-2005, 08:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that you planned to c/r the river BEFORE entering preflop?? That seems like a HUUUGE parlay IMO especially against this type of opponent.

[ QUOTE ]

This player is a good hand reader, very agressive, and will put you to the test every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's such a good hand reader, aren't you afraid he will spot your bluff?

deepsquat
09-26-2005, 08:12 AM
slightly O/T here but when an aggro opponent like this has position against us in the BB are we better off completing our marginal hands that we may raise with vs tighter opponents?

Basically is the startegy to be completing here with hands like J9o that we dont want to be 3bet with but are too strong to fold?

ty

brick
09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that you planned to c/r the river BEFORE entering preflop?? That seems like a HUUUGE parlay IMO especially against this type of opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's right. One the river the pot will be 7BB so he only has to fold 22% of the time and I show a profit.

I guess (like all other problems) it's just a question of how often he will fold the river.

[ QUOTE ]

If he's such a good hand reader, aren't you afraid he will spot your bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hopefully he spots the slowplayed K or two pair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sthief09
09-26-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

J9o is mathematically better than 50% of our villians possible holdings, doesnt this make it a blind steal hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, nothing in this game is that simple. position is very important against this type of player

rory
09-26-2005, 01:19 PM
fold preflop

TheMetetron
09-26-2005, 01:39 PM
I love this guy. He's monster LAGgro and you really shouldn't be playing with him to your left. Change seats and/or tables.

He's like an ATM with position. He doesn't read hands well at all, he just hits the raise button a crapload. I'll cap top pair on the flop and turn against this guy all day long. Middle pair too on my good days.

TheMetetron
09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
It is a huge parlay and I hate villians plan to c/r the river when he raised PF.

If you can play this against this guy, call. Otherwise, just fold. There's no shame in that.

sweetjazz
09-26-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's right. One the river the pot will be 7BB so he only has to fold 22% of the time and I show a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No because you are investing way more than 2 BB to make this play. You're investing 5 BB given your line. So it had better work close to 50% of the time. You're in really bad shape if villain checks behind unimproved small PPs / ace highs on the river.

brick
09-26-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No because you are investing way more than 2 BB to make this play. You're investing 5 BB given your line. So it had better work close to 50% of the time. You're in really bad shape if villain checks behind unimproved small PPs / ace highs on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew he was going to fold to the check-raise 30% of the time wouldn't you take this line every time?

Subfallen
09-26-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew he was going to fold to the check-raise 30% of the time wouldn't you take this line every time?

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell? Absolutely not! You're investing 5BB (3SB + 1SB + 1BB + 2BB) to win 4BB!

If it only works 30% of the time, your EV is:

(.3)(+4BB) + (.7)(-5BB) = 1.2BB - 3.5BB = -2.3BB

In order for you to break even, he must fold 55% of the time!

brick
09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely not! You're investing 5BB (3SB + 1SB + 1BB + 2BB) to win 4BB!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh crap. Thanks for setting me straight. The other poster said so and it didn't register. Yeah, now I see why this is a bad play. He may fold 30% of the time but not 55%.

Thread over.

Derek in NYC
09-26-2005, 04:03 PM
If you can be counted on to get aggression from the BB, then wait until you have an edge (i.e., a hand that can showdown). I would check-fold J9 against this sort of opponent (i.e., who will raise a limp, or 3-bet a raise, and continuation bet every street).

As for your river checkraise, I think it never works against an opponent like this. He will call with any pair or ace high. Your river checkraise also filled no obvious draws, so it smells more like you're making a move than normal.

Derek in NYC
09-26-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant steal against somebody who will auto threebet

Derek in NYC
09-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Not that I'd try this, but if you're going to make a move on him with a marginal hand, what about completing from the SB, then three-betting his raise and leading the flop?

TomBrooks
09-26-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely not! You're investing 5BB (3SB + 1SB + 1BB + 2BB) to win 4BB!

[/ QUOTE ]Oh crap. Thanks for setting me straight. The other poster said so and it didn't register. Yeah, now I see why this is a bad play. He may fold 30% of the time but not 55%. Thread over.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does he have to fold 55% of the time to make this a good play? Wouldn't that only be true if your only chance of winning the hand was to make him fold? J9 seems like a pretty good hand against a random hand. How about playing it preflop but only continuing on a favorable flop?

If so, is a preflop raise or a complete better?

On this hand you did not get a favorable flop. So check/fold looks good to me here.

JohnnyHumongous
09-26-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so why does he suck? (according to sthief)

brick
09-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Isn't is possible to be too agressive?

TheMetetron
09-26-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so why does he suck? (according to sthief)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because brick's assessment of this guy is wrong.

He does suck and sthief is totally right.

His hand is permanently attached to the bet/raise buttons.

Entity
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think feurinho is a good handreader at all, but he will put you to a test. I often take very passive lines against him, and in this hand I'd probably check-call, check-call, check-fold. I don't think the river checkraise will show enough profit against him in the longrun, because he seems to pay me off frequently with pretty marginal hands.

Rob

brick
09-26-2005, 07:53 PM
whatever. I didn't say he was good. Maybe 'good hand reader' was too much credit, but I didn't say he was good.

chio
09-26-2005, 09:20 PM
i don't get it, you're trying to bluff a loose maniac. what's even worse, he's not folding any pair or ace on the river, so you're spending 2 bets hoping he has (and folds) exactly Q high?