PDA

View Full Version : Good move or borderline nuts??

balt999
05-13-2003, 04:39 AM
Occasionally, I like to make a move against an overly aggressive player, sometimes without a hand...just to see how the player will react..here's a an example of what I'm talking about

The game is $2-$4 Paradise....I opened raise from MP with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif..Next player 3 bets...this was the 3rd consecutive time this player has come over the top of me...Everyone else folds....

The flop comes: 10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I check...Player Bets...I check-raise just too see where I was...even if he calls, I feel I have outs with if an Ace or King falls...if he re-raises, I'm sure I'm behind....My opponent just calls...

Turn comes a J /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I bet...my opponent mucks...

I guess made this move based on my opponents overly aggressive playing style...not sure if I would make this move against a solid player or a passive calling station...

Comments??

JTG51
05-13-2003, 01:05 PM
As you hinted at, the key is your opponents 3-betting standards. Since you said he's over aggressive, I'm assuming he'd 3-bet AK, AQ, 99, 88, etc. If that's true, then I like your move as an occasional play to keep him from trying to run you over.

AceHigh
05-13-2003, 06:35 PM
I like this play if you opponent frequently tries to isolate raisers with medium pairs. OTOH, there are quite a few players at PP2/4 who only seem to 3-bet with AA/KK.

FishyWhale
05-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Nah, good move, because these LAPs all think like this: "If this tight predictable player bets, I just fold, and if he checks, I run him over - harhar, I´m so clever." Good counter strategy!

Bob T.
05-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Good play. He was pushing you around, and even you are going to wake up with a hand sometime /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . You have to make a stand somewhere, and if he was three betting you alot, you were probably even ahead of his hand with your holding.

balt999
05-14-2003, 02:09 AM
Another reason I made this play was because in one of previous 3 bets he put on me..he had K10...so now that I think about it..maybe it wasn't bordering on insanity.

balt999
05-14-2003, 02:14 AM
Funny, you should mentioned that because I've noticed a lot of people 3 betting me during the last three days with substandard hands like K10....pocket 3's...I even had some player take me on with 54suited...I get this feeling that I don't get much respect..which is great when I have a good hand, and they're calling me down with nothing.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif