mmmmmbrother
09-26-2005, 02:24 AM
last night i watched the japanese anime film 'akira'
tonight i watched the korean film 'old boy'

these two movies were amazing
next up is 'suicide club'

diebitter
09-26-2005, 05:11 AM
Try 'Violent Cop', 'Kung Fu Hustle', 'Chinese Ghost Story', 'Eastern Condors'... actually the list of great Asian films goes on and on, I've just tried to give a spread.

Popinjay
09-26-2005, 05:15 AM
taegukgi

korean war movie. pretty good

handsome
09-26-2005, 05:26 AM
I highly recommend "Attack of the Gas Station" and "My Sassy Girl" (both hilarious korean comedies).

TheCroShow
09-26-2005, 05:28 AM
i was surprised with Kung Fu Hustle. My bro rented it and since I did not pay to rent it, I watched...thinking "man this movie is going to SUCK." i did not like the trailers for it, thought it looked like garbage but man it was freakin hilarious! i highly recommend this movie, try to watch it with an open mind.

GuyOnTilt
09-26-2005, 05:31 AM
I watched Battle Royale for the first time yesterday.

GoT

Dave G.
09-26-2005, 06:04 AM
Battle Royale is a pretty awesome movie. I bought the DVD. Not for the feint of heart though, it's extremely violent and the whole theme is disturbing. A lot of sensitive people would not be able to handle it.

Spladle Master
09-26-2005, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Battle Royale is a pretty awesome movie. I bought the DVD. Not for the feint of heart though, it's extremely violent and the whole theme is disturbing. A lot of sensitive people would not be able to handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own the first thirteen volumes of the manga and they kick ass. But I have not seen the movie.

SCfuji
09-26-2005, 06:15 AM
battle royale is fricken awesome. suicide club was alright, but the ending confused me?

Dave G.
09-26-2005, 06:23 AM
Here's a couple of other asian movies that I think are pretty cool:

Shaolin Soccer - Crazy. But funny.
My Sassy Girl - This is a good romance story, it's funny in parts. It is kind of chick flicky, but it's not overdone. (I'm sure you can use this on a girl.)

SCfuji
09-26-2005, 06:26 AM
check out "chingu" or "friends" from korea. thats a great one as well.

GuyOnTilt
09-26-2005, 06:48 AM
This thread got me thinking about Asian film now. I'm watching Rashomon tomorrow. I decided.

GoT

heropretend
09-26-2005, 10:04 PM
9 souls is a great jail break film and the director is an obvious pothead. some characters include a midget doctor, a softheaded lump, and a silent shutin who murdered his dad. try it out.

also recommend wong kar wei stuff, start with chungking express, and after life has a great premise.

flatline
09-26-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread got me thinking about Asian film now. I'm watching Rashomon tomorrow. I decided.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Marge-"C'mon Homer, Japan will be fun! You liked 'Rashomon'..."
Homer-"That's not how I remember it..."

This old Simpsons quote will be funny after you see the movie.

InchoateHand
09-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Scent of the Green Papaya.

More subtle, but still kickass.

lucas9000
09-26-2005, 10:31 PM
dead or alive is a great movie. the ending rules.

Sooga
09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
If you like Samurai movies I definitely recommend 'Sword of Doom' (an old one), and a more recent film 'Twilight Samurai', which is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.

hoyaboy1
09-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Some I've seen recently that I liked:

Oldboy
Twilight Samurai
Ikiru (Kurosawa)
Infernal Affairs

I didn't like:

Ichi the Killer

lucas9000
09-26-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't like:

Ichi the Killer

[/ QUOTE ]

i liked it...though it is really really out there.

stabn
09-26-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I own the first thirteen volumes of the manga and they kick ass. But I have not seen the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not read the book which came first then /images/graemlins/smile.gif. It's great as well.

-Skeme-
09-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Suicide Club looks weak, I've watched like 20 mins so far. I really need to finish it off, I'm lagging behind in my Netflix cycle.

Spladle Master
10-03-2005, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not read the book which came first then /images/graemlins/smile.gif. It's great as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where could I find this?

-Skeme-
10-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Suicide Club sucks. I didn't like it much. Oldboy was awesome. I couldn't really get into Akira. Battle Royale was excellent. A Tale of Two Sisters, I did not like.

Big Business
10-03-2005, 02:22 PM
All of those you watched are good stuff. Others I can recommend if they haven't been mentioned previous (didn't feel like reading all the posts)

Audition
Battle Royale 1 and 2 (2 isn't as good)
Versus
The Eye
Ju-On: The Grudge
Ichi the Killer
...those are the basics until you get into some really weird or dramatic stuff.

10-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Big Trouble in Little Vagina is a good one.

SL__72
10-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Oldboy was indeed quite awesome.

Has anyone seen Spring Summer Fall Winter... and Spring? I really liked it.

Duke
10-03-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend "Attack of the Gas Station" and "My Sassy Girl" (both hilarious korean comedies).

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Attack the Gas Station in a theater in LA. It's funnier if you understand that "strip word game" the guy's playing with that chick.

EDIT: If not, just pretend that every time the girl gets stumped, it's because she has to think of yet another word that has a Q in it without a U. I think that's a decent mapping.

~D

Paluka
10-03-2005, 02:34 PM
My next netflix movie:

The Sword of Doom