PDA

View Full Version : Tenant moving out, how to split bills?

Josh W
09-26-2005, 01:31 AM
A friend of mine, E, owns a house that she doesn't live in. She has two roomates, V and P.

P has lived with E for a long time. While living with E, they had a couple of mice, cockroaches, and a bunch of yellowjackets outside. P begged E to pay for pest control. E could not afford it, so P agreed to be "financially responsible for it" (P's words...nothing written).

The contract for the pest control is a year contract. E has now moved out and is just renting out her house. The contract goes on for 10 more months. P just moved out.

E and P are friends, so going to court or anything like that is silly. Nothing is written, just verbally agreed upon. P thinks "now that I'm not living there, I don't need to be 'financially responsible for it".

Who should pay?

50/50?
P should pay?
E should pay?

Sponger15SB
09-26-2005, 01:34 AM
All I want to know is how you could own a house and not be able to afford maintenance for it.

STLantny
09-26-2005, 01:36 AM
If it helps any, you can get out of those contracts, if its with terminex. I signed a year contract, for 4 sprayings, only used 2, and then called and just played dumb, telling them thats not what they told me, yada, yada.

Michael Davis
09-26-2005, 01:38 AM
"If it helps any, you can get out of those contracts, if its with terminex. I signed a year contract, for 4 sprayings, only used 2, and then called and just played dumb, telling them thats not what they told me, yada, yada."

Weak.

-Michael

STLantny
09-26-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"If it helps any, you can get out of those contracts, if its with terminex. I signed a year contract, for 4 sprayings, only used 2, and then called and just played dumb, telling them thats not what they told me, yada, yada."

Weak.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak-how?

Josh W
09-26-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Weak.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but not surprising. I mean, look at the poll results. People keeping their word isn't high priority on this board!

Josh

Sponger15SB
09-26-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Weak.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak-how?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause you're a [censored] hypocrite. This is a quote from you in the "stealing from employers thread...

"I think anyone who steals is an ignorant [censored]."

STLantny
09-26-2005, 01:45 AM
well number 1- if you dont have the means to keep a house up dont buy it.

number 2- get someting in writing, otherwise too bad

number 3- even if you have it in writing, and you want to get out of it try to.

They wanted 225$ for a years contract, becasuse they told me they would have to come 4 times a year, or 150$ for a one time spray, they spent 5 minutes tops in my apartment, and gave me some glue boards, then left. Second time, they showed up when I wasnt home and "sprayed the perimeter". So I told them to [censored] off, I want outta the contract.

STLantny
09-26-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Weak.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak-how?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause you're a [censored] hypocrite. This is a quote from you in the "stealing from employers thread...

"I think anyone who steals is an ignorant [censored]."

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking to get out of a contract is not the same as stealing, retard. They didnt have to let me out of it did they? I would have had no recourse but to pay, yet they did.

Michael Davis
09-26-2005, 01:56 AM
"Asking to get out of a contract is not the same as stealing, retard. They didnt have to let me out of it did they? I would have had no recourse but to pay, yet they did."

Okay I'm done hijacking AFTER this, but you admitted to intentionally misrepresenting the facts to deceive the company in order to make it more likely that they would let you out of the contract. That's stealing.

-Michael

Josh W
09-26-2005, 01:58 AM
What should and shouldn't happen is irrelevant (to my response, not my initial post). My response is just pointing out that people on this board don't think others need to keep their word.

I'm sure you had a spectacular reason for breaking yours.

Josh

STLantny
09-26-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What should and shouldn't happen is irrelevant (to my response, not my initial post). My response is just pointing out that people on this board don't think others need to keep their word.

I'm sure you had a spectacular reason for breaking yours.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I had no reason, other than the pest problem was taken care of, and I didnt want to pay for something I didnt need. I see your friend is in the same position so it wouldnt hurt to call them up an at least ask. I REALLY dont see teh big deal, calling me a hypocrite and stuff. I didnt demand anything, I asked to be let out, and it seemed to be routine with them.

Josh W
09-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Well, its obvious you are lying here, but I'm curious.

Did you get out by playing dumb or by asking out of it?

(It couldn't be both, that's how everybody knows you are lying).

Josh

Sponger15SB
09-26-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt demand anything, I asked to be let out, and it seemed to be routine with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, its probably in terminex's best interest to not call their customers theives and liars.

STLantny
09-26-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, its obvious you are lying here, but I'm curious.

Did you get out by playing dumb or by asking out of it?

(It couldn't be both, that's how everybody knows you are lying).

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it was both, somewhat
convo:
Hi this is stlantny, account number, blah blah, I see I have a payment due in a couple weeks, I dont think i really need the last 2 sprayings done, am I able to cancel my contract, or am I tied to it? (Which I was pretty sure I couldnt, but I really didnt read the contract or anything).

Lady: Ya sure, no problem, were you disatisifed with anything?

Me: well they didnt do much for 75$, except givee some glue boards, adn spray some cracks which took all fo 2 minutes.

Her: Well, ok, no prob, Im marking this contract as canceled, just send yuor payment in for the last spraying.

The end.

So Im not lying, at least I dont think so. but whatever, [censored] you guys I wont try to help anymore.

STLantny
09-26-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt demand anything, I asked to be let out, and it seemed to be routine with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, its probably in terminex's best interest to not call their customers theives and liars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger you are the coolest.

Josh W
09-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Fine. I might believe you if I think about it. I just don't understand why you'd go read the contract AFTER you got out of it (I mean, you didn't read it before, but yet you knew you got out of the contract, so you knew there was binding literature in it. Maybe knowledge of the contract came to you in a dream). But whatever. I'm sure you can make up something to explain that, too.

Thanks for your help....not sure what you've done, but thanks.

Josh

STLantny
09-26-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fine. I might believe you if I think about it. I just don't understand why you'd go read the contract AFTER you got out of it (I mean, you didn't read it before, but yet you knew you got out of the contract, so you knew there was binding literature in it. Maybe knowledge of the contract came to you in a dream). But whatever. I'm sure you can make up something to explain that, too.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I never said I read teh contract. I dont know if I ever even got one, if i did I threw it away. I just took what they told me for face value, stupid? sure. Did you actually read any or my posts, or are you just going to blindly be a moron like sponger?

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 02:25 AM
There is not enough info here to decide. What the terms of their lease were and all sorts of other stuff come into play.

Josh W
09-26-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I never said I read teh contract. I dont know if I ever even got one, if i did I threw it away. I just took what they told me for face value, stupid? sure. Did you actually read any or my posts, or are you just going to blindly be a moron like sponger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first post says you signed a contract.

Your first reply to me says you got a contract.

Both say it was for a year, so you MUST have read it.

Do you read your own posts? You certainly don't keep them consistent.

Josh

STLantny
09-26-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first post says you signed a contract.

Your first reply to me says you got a contract.

Both say it was for a year, so you MUST have read it.

Do you read your own posts? You certainly don't keep them consistent.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, I wasnt clear, my fault, they told me what was in the contract, over the phone, and again before signing. But I dont know what I actually signed.

Josh W
09-26-2005, 02:35 AM
The lease did not make any mention of controling pests, least of all outside (where they were). What other stuff is essential to determine? Nobody broke any terms of the lease, so I don't see why it would come into play, but I'm far from a landlord.

Josh

Josh W
09-26-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

sorry, I wasnt clear, my fault, they told me what was in the contract, over the phone, and again before signing. But I dont know what I actually signed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So did you know what was in the contract when you called to cancel or not?

STLantny
09-26-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So did you know what was in the contract when you called to cancel or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew what the said in person, and over the phone, but didnt not read teh actual contract. And appearently it HAD to be different (what I signed) than what the told me, if they let me out.

09-26-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
convo:
Hi this is stlantny, account number, blah blah, I see I have a payment due in a couple weeks, I dont think i really need the last 2 sprayings done, am I able to cancel my contract, or am I tied to it? (Which I was pretty sure I couldnt, but I really didnt read the contract or anything).

Lady: Ya sure, no problem, were you disatisifed with anything?

Me: well they didnt do much for 75$, except givee some glue boards, adn spray some cracks which took all fo 2 minutes.

Her: Well, ok, no prob, Im marking this contract as canceled, just send yuor payment in for the last spraying.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, when did this occur?
[ QUOTE ]
signed a year contract, for 4 sprayings, only used 2, and then called and just played dumb, telling them thats not what they told me, yada, yada

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 02:50 AM
First off, it looks like the landlord was legally responsible in the first place. Lots of legal pages if you google, but here's a simple plain english one: pest control (http://www.retodayradio.com/RR-96-10-13.htm).

However, P did E a favor and paid for the pest control. Now, the question is, was P doing E the favor for the time they lived their together, or for as long as the contract went on? Based on your description, it is hard to know what other implied arrangements existed. Maybe P was willing to do this when they both lived together because E did the dishes. Without understanding the context in which the agreement was made, it is hard to make a jugdgement on who should be responsible, now that both have moved out of the house.

STLantny
09-26-2005, 02:53 AM
That occured, when I said, "am I able to cancel my contract?" I was fairly sure that I wouldnt be able to. But 30 seconds was worth saving some cash to try. The part that they didnt tell me was how little I would get for 75$, which is what I expressed to teh lady.

I realyl dont understand why this is hard to comprehend.
Or why people like michael davis who frequent prostitutes are getting all high and mighty.

Michael Davis
09-26-2005, 03:01 AM
"Or why people like michael davis who frequent prostitutes are getting all high and mighty."

This shows a serious lack of logic skills, one that pretty much prohibits you from engaging in a fundamental argument, or at least doing so in a competent manner.

-Michael

Josh W
09-26-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Or why people like michael davis who frequent prostitutes are getting all high and mighty.

[/ QUOTE ]

You badmouthed stealing, then stole.

If MDavis badmouthed going to prostitutes, then went, you'd have a case. I've never seen him badmouthing them though.

J

Josh W
09-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Your pest control link assumes them in the house (at least the bit I scanned). This, like I said in the original post, was all outside.

To me...they called, found out the cost, E said she couldn't afford it, and P said she'd be financially responsible for it, knowing exactly what "it" constituted. P basically was just asking for E's permission since E is the homeowner.

Josh

Josh W
Damn you for beating me to the obvious.

STLantny
[ QUOTE ]
"Or why people like michael davis who frequent prostitutes are getting all high and mighty."

This shows a serious lack of logic skills, one that pretty much prohibits you from engaging in a fundamental argument, or at least doing so in a competent manner.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not arguing anything. I am confused. You have hte lack of morals enough so that you frequent prostitutes, yet you call me a thief for doing something that Im not sure is wrong. The confusion part comes in, because you should probably be trying to clean up your life instead of arguing over the merits of "stealing" from terminex, with an anonymous person over the internet.

STLantny
09-26-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You badmouthed stealing, then stole.

If MDavis badmouthed going to prostitutes, then went, you'd have a case. I've never seen him badmouthing them though.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming i did steal. I badmouthed people from stealing FROM THEIR EMPLOYERS. Not from people who do a negligible job, that appearently are very loose with their business practices, enough so to let me out of a contract. Thanks for playing.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your pest control link assumes them in the house (at least the bit I scanned). This, like I said in the original post, was all outside.

To me...they called, found out the cost, E said she couldn't afford it, and P said she'd be financially responsible for it, knowing exactly what "it" constituted. P basically was just asking for E's permission since E is the homeowner.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno about mice/roaches, but the landlord is most definitely responsible for taking care of yellowjacket nests outside the house.

GuyOnTilt
09-26-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have hte lack of morals enough so that you frequent prostitutes

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a pretty big and unestablished leap here.

GoT

STLantny
09-26-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a fairly large thread about this before, unless i am totally mistaken, if I am, sorry. FOR NOW! Im off to bed.

Sponger15SB
09-26-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming i did steal. I badmouthed people from stealing FROM THEIR EMPLOYERS. Not from people who do a negligible job, that appearently are very loose with their business practices, enough so to let me out of a contract. Thanks for playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it is ok to steal from companies you don't work for?

Also, I will again quote what you said, "I think anyone who steals is an ignorant [censored]"

Seems pretty cut and dry there. Maybe we could call up the CEO of terminex or something and see what he thinks?

GuyOnTilt
09-26-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a fairly large thread about this before, unless i am totally mistaken, if I am, sorry. FOR NOW! Im off to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OTHER leap in logic you made.

GoT

09-26-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That occured, when I said, "am I able to cancel my contract?" I was fairly sure that I wouldnt be able to. But 30 seconds was worth saving some cash to try. The part that they didnt tell me was how little I would get for 75$, which is what I expressed to teh lady.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, your first post didn't say, "You can call and ask to be released from the contract." That's totally different- you said, "played dumb, telling them thats not what they told me." which suggests some form of misleading on your part.

What part of that is so hard for you to comprehend?

razor
09-26-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to state the obvious...