PDA

View Full Version : Party 5/10

7n7
09-26-2005, 01:14 AM
Does anyone else see a big difference in the way 3/6 Party and 5/10 Party is played?

I've played about 7,000 hands of each and the 5/10 seems way more aggressive. No matter what I do (tighten up, increase aggression, play showdown poker only, etc.), I still can't get myself on the winning track at this limit.

Any tips from those of you that made the hop from 3/6 to 5/10 (Party)?

Thanks!

x2ski
09-26-2005, 03:01 AM
7,000 hands is nothing. Give $5/$10 a chance, unless your bankroll isn't ready for it.

7n7
09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
I debated on posting how many hands I played figuring I'd get that response. I do agree that I haven't played enough, so your point is definitely valid.

So, I'll just pose it as a question instead: For all you folks that have stepped up from 3/6 to 5/10 Party, what are your overall thoughts on the differences between the 2?

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Fat Nicky
09-26-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For all you folks that have stepped up from 3/6 to 5/10 Party, what are your overall thoughts on the differences between the 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

as you said, 5/10 is way more aggro than 3/6 is the following fashions:
-more isolation raises with weaker hands at 5/10, where the typical 3/6 player will just call.
-blind stealing and defending is a lot tougher as players are capable of playing back with nothing at 5/10.
-a lot more players will try to push you off hands at 5/10.

this is all I can think of at the moment...i'm sure there are many more.

09-26-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm breaking into 5-10 right now as well. Fat Nicky's list seams right on. I would add, a leak of mine that I'm trying to fix, which is this. Getting into the super agressive mode to compete with these players, was leading me down a path of not being able to slow down. There are still a lot of calling stations here. I found myself trying to push through my AK missed flop, to the CS bb that caught bottom pair, defending rags. I'm trying to start to immediately identify the players that just will not fold. Just a little problem I noticed with my own play. Hope it helps. Good luck.

gh9801
09-26-2005, 02:12 PM
7k hands isn't anything. Get more hands in, a rush will come sometime.

As for the play, it's tougher yes. But there are still plenty of bad players.

I also wouldn't mind getting some 2p2er's party/euro/empire screenames from this game... you can have mine...

Valuebettingtheriver
09-26-2005, 02:30 PM
I dont have a lot of experience in party 3/6, I have, however, logged over 15K hands in 2/4. I am currently playing 5/10 and over 5,000 hands I am 2.4 BB/100 that I've logged. I've played over 3,000 hands on a friend's computer and didnt transfer it over. Differences I've noticed is it is rare to find a room over 22% VPIP. When you do I suggest you stay. Most of the rooms I have played are 18-20%. Blind stealing I feel is more profitable at this level, since players seem to be tighter. Players are a little more aggressive than 2/4 but not by a considerable amount. People are definitely tighter though, which I find better. Players are very predictable, which has been a major advantage. I can almost always guess when a player is going to check/raise just given his stats. ALl in all, I suggest that if you have the bankroll you should stick with 5/10. It is very profitable and you still get your idiots.

Bob T.
09-26-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(tighten up, increase aggression, play showdown poker only, etc.),

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you have a winning game at 3/6, you probably shouldn't be making big changes when you play 5/10. Adjustments might be necessary to optimize your game, but you should still be able to come out ahead playing your 3/6 game.

7n7
09-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks much for the replies as this is exactly what I'm seeing.

An example session from yesterday: Right out the gate, I get stuck about $100 when my AK and AQ type hands don't hit and I get chased out of the pot.

I then go a little more aggro. and start reraising my AK-type hands when I miss the flop, take the lead, and get raised (only the times when I think my opponent is sniffing me out for 2 high cards by the way). I also start raising and reraising my top pair hands (pair of 8s with A kicker for example) and get myself back up.

I then hit a wall and nothing holds up and I'm back down $100.

I can't imagine playing like this every time. However, if I play show-down poker only, I'd give up a lot of $$ and would immediately get labeled a rock...i.e. it would be open season on me with regards to making moves.

What type adjustments do you suggest?

Arnfinn Madsen
09-26-2005, 02:45 PM
On a general note from 3/6 to 5/10 (haven't played 5/10 at Party) I think some changes have to be made to counter aggression:
-Checking good hands much more often (to checkraise on that street or a later street). By checking only bad hands you give the aggros too much information. Checkraising with crap is more risky but also more profitable than betbluffs since you increase the pot.
-Raising more unsystematic (10-15% of the raises should be with rather crappy hands).
-Pay attention to when a calling station is still in the hand. Remember that the hand then will likely go to showdown and don't push hard with crap. Notice also which of the aggros that pay attention to this and give those more credit when a calling station is in the hand (I am aware they may isolate the calling station with marginal hands but that still puts them on a "better" than average hand range).

adsman
09-26-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

An example session from yesterday: Right out the gate, I get stuck about $100 when my AK and AQ type hands don't hit and I get chased out of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's only 10BB. I don't see the problem. If you were playing 1/2 would you be 'stuck' $20? I never think of it as money, only as big bets. Ten big bets? That's a sniffle. Absolutely no reason to go 'aggro'.

09-26-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I then hit a wall and nothing holds up and I'm back down $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's 10 big bets...

[ QUOTE ]

What type adjustments do you suggest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think in terms of bets, not cash. If you started out playing 1/2 or 2/4 would you panic if you were down $40? Probably not.

If you have GT+ running then drag your statbox over your name and cash amount at the table. Don't look at how much you are up or down. Just play poker.

winky51
09-26-2005, 04:28 PM
I havent tried Full table 5/10 because I can never find open tables. I have done 5/10 SH.

The aggression is higher than 3/6 so there will be times you just call them down with hands. There are players out there that just keep betting and raising never knowing when to stop. Then they show you middle pair. Those are very profitable. Don't get in a raising war with an idiot LAG. He wants to take the lead let him. He bets, you call, he checks you bet. This is assuming you have a decent hand.

Know your opponents. two different opponent with the same hand and flop... one I would fold to a raise (fish), the other call down (lag).

The blind steals is where it gets tougher because if they are constantly stealing your blinds you are out of position.

I just take my time look at the board. Think about what kind of hands these guys are betting with and raising with. They might be draws, or maybe middle pair. Your calling down middle pair many many times heads up. The board has to come super scary for you to fold.

7n7
09-26-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Differences I've noticed is it is rare to find a room over 22% VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say "over 22%" VPIP, how are you determining this? Does Party give this stat. or are you averaging the players you have info. on thru PokerTracker?

[ QUOTE ]

I can almost always guess when a player is going to check/raise just given his stats. ALl in all, I suggest that if you have the bankroll you should stick with 5/10. It is very profitable and you still get your idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

What stats. do you find most useful in PTH to determine this, or are you using some filters?

somapopper
09-27-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Differences I've noticed is it is rare to find a room over 22% VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say "over 22%" VPIP, how are you determining this? Does Party give this stat. or are you averaging the players you have info. on thru PokerTracker?

[ QUOTE ]

I can almost always guess when a player is going to check/raise just given his stats. ALl in all, I suggest that if you have the bankroll you should stick with 5/10. It is very profitable and you still get your idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

What stats. do you find most useful in PTH to determine this, or are you using some filters?

[/ QUOTE ]

PA Hud will give you table VPIP if you set it to do so.

About half an hour ago we had 9 to the flop in a capped pot and there are 7 players at this table over 28 VPIP, 3 over 40.

There are good 5/10 tables.