PDA

View Full Version : Apparently my blind play is absolutely horrible

tpir90036
09-26-2005, 12:58 AM
40K hand checkup at 15/30 on party and my blind stats are abysmal. -0.18 for the SB and -0.22 for the BB. I know that 40,000 is not an enormous sample size... but those numbers are totally horrendous, right?

I have been out of the loop for a little while and searching through this forum is not an easy chore so if someone could point me to any recent blind defense threads that would be great. I honestly have no idea what hands I should be defending steal-raises with that I am not doing already.

My folded to steal-raise percenteages are way too high though, they just have to be. I am going to try to work on this and post some hands later this week.

Grossed out and depressed,
tpir

TimM
09-26-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
40K hand checkup at 15/30 on party and my blind stats are abysmal. -0.18/100 for the SB and -0.22/100 for the BB. I know that 40,000 is not an enormous sample size... but those numbers are totally horrendous, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those stats are per hand I think, not per 100. Are they so bad? You are forced to post 0.83 BB each orbit and you are recovering more than half of it on these two hands alone.

tpir90036
09-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Yes, they are per hand and not per 100... thanks, I edited the original post. And I am pretty sure those are really bad numbers.... the sample size might not be that big, but my VP$IP from the blinds should converge fairly quickly.

TStoneMBD
09-26-2005, 01:41 AM
yes your stats are bad but posting this [censored] is pointless you should know better.

Lestat
09-26-2005, 01:43 AM
Those are not bad numbers. Your bb costs you .5bb/hand and you are recouping over half of that back. How much better do you want to do?

TimM
09-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Still there is sample size issues. My 10/20 stats for 25,000 hands show me winning more UTG than any other position including the button. Your BB win rate is probably based on about 5000 hands. That's not very much.

tpir90036
09-26-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes your stats are bad but posting this [censored] is pointless you should know better.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right. Looking for help in finding any recent blind defense threads is really dumb. I will stop posting from now on as you clearly have a monopoly on awesome posts.

Take care 2+2,
tpir

B Dids
09-26-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ignore the numbers part, this is just "point me to recent good threads", which doesn't seem like a bad question to ask at all. Not sure why it got met with vitrol on your part.

amulet
09-26-2005, 11:22 AM
as you know, no player can have positive numbers in the blinds. your numbers could be a little better, but they are not that bad. read inside the poker mind, it will help.

TStoneMBD
09-26-2005, 02:27 PM
my post's intent is for improvement of the forum. obviously any improvements i think the forum could make are an opinion and not a fact. however, i think its quite clear that these stats posts dont get anywhere. you basically took the time to tell the forum that you are running bad in the blinds over an insignificant sample size and want someone to present to you the holy grail of blind defense in 1 thread. there are plenty of threads that discuss blind defense and are very helpful, why dont you take the time to search the archives? this thread is no better than any of the threads you read about asking "how do i become a better player?", "when should i value bet?", and "should i be bluffing more often?"

tpir90036
09-26-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my post's intent is for improvement of the forum. obviously any improvements i think the forum could make are an opinion and not a fact. however, i think its quite clear that these stats posts dont get anywhere. you basically took the time to tell the forum that you are running bad in the blinds over an insignificant sample size and want someone to present to you the holy grail of blind defense in 1 thread. there are plenty of threads that discuss blind defense and are very helpful, why dont you take the time to search the archives? this thread is no better than any of the threads you read about asking "how do i become a better player?", "when should i value bet?", and "should i be bluffing more often?"

[/ QUOTE ]
I was hoping I would be given the benefit of the doubt but I can see that is not the case. A very small percentage of the hands posted are about defending a blind with a mediocre hand from a steal. I know that there have been some theoretical threads in the past but could not locate them. Maybe I should go over to HUSH and look around there as well.

In any event, your sentiments are duly noted and I will go back to my futile searching.

-tpir

CardSharpCook
09-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Those numbers really aren't that bad. I wish I could remember the link, but Dcfrths posted a range of good, avg, bad numbers for defense once. The overall range was like .1-.17 for the SB and .2-.27 for the BB. FWIW, my numbers sorted for 8-10 players are .15 and .25 over the last 26K hands.

As far as play in the blinds is concerned - do you think it is blind defense or calling in the blinds that is hurting you? I've helped some players who call about the right amount, but get too agro when the cards are out. They remember their TAA playstyle and try to play the same with blind hands. You can't really do this. You have to be more passive in the blinds, in my opinion, and be willing to fold TP on the flop sometimes.

Another possibility is that you are not calling enough in the blinds. I'm sure you've realized that you win the most money in the blinds, compared to other positions. This comes from playing and winning more pots there.

Yet another possibility is that you are too agro in blind defense. Some players here advocate agro blind defense, but maybe try passive defense. Start calling with your aces and PPs in the BB to a SB/btn steal. Personally, I will call with any two cards to a SB steal attempt and play call or fold on the flop.

aflaba
09-26-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was hoping I would be given the benefit of the doubt but I can see that is not the case. A very small percentage of the hands posted are about defending a blind with a mediocre hand from a steal. I know that there have been some theoretical threads in the past but could not locate them. Maybe I should go over to HUSH and look around there as well.

In any event, your sentiments are duly noted and I will go back to my futile searching.

-tpir

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in advice/links as well. And I'm sure more people would too.

I think apeshit like "yes your stats are bad but posting this [censored] is pointless you should know better." shouldn't be posted.

It's rude and uneccisary.

It's better to either keep quiet or write more friendly stuff like "Your sample size really isn't big enough, so don't worry about your results. But if you have more specific questions about where your blind defense might be lacking, then post about those topics instead. I'm sure you'll get more constructive answers if you do." Optional: "There was a great link with general blind defense strategy and/or common leaks a while ago. Check it you here"

Good luck with your blind defence tpir! I wish I could help you but I'm currently in the same boat as you.

tpir90036
09-26-2005, 04:41 PM
My folded to steal attempt percentages are super high. I think that I am probably shying away from confrontations with sub-standard hands that a lot of good players would probably defend with (K8, J7s type of hands).

It's hard enough being stuck in marginal spots against aggro opponents, being out of position just compounds the problem. I check-raise, they get away. I check-call they have the option to value bet me or not. It all sucks.