PDA

View Full Version : Nepal Trip Report

theBruiser500
09-26-2005, 12:08 AM
A few weeks ago I went to nepal and think it was absolutely brutal in some respects, and in other ways it was very worthwhile (I'd have a hard time classifying the trip as "fun"). The travel was killer, was in Santa Barbara and then my friend Jay who I stayed with for the summer had to go to his home in San Francisco for some bullshit reason we drive 6 hours up there. Then we stay there for a couple days boring. Then we get onto an airplane and fly to Hong Kong, then Tapei, then Bangkok with a significant number of layover hours in there.

My friend did the plane ticket so we spend a night in Bankgog I don't know why. The heat there was tough, everyone said pollution there was bad I didn't feel it much. we went to a caberet show which was very bad, it was all men dressed as women, no one did their own signing it was all a recording. It was gross, they were wearing dresses but you could see their arm hair. Bankgog was a bad place, most people seem to agree on that, why are you there Kane Kung fu? One cool thing about it though was a boat ride we took through a canal through the city, the buildings were old and it was amazing how many plats there were. There is some sort of government program for people to have plants for the pollution problem.

Next day we fly into Katmandu, this place is crazy. Right out of the airport we're assaulted by half a dozen cab drivers offering us prices of 300 rupees, 250 rupees, then down to 150 rupees which is $2. My friend haggled over the prices (he's Indian) which strikes me as petty, this was something we disagreed on the whole trip. Katmandu is really something else, it is so hectic there, the cars are funny, they are all mini cars that apparently don't go fast they get 70 miles to the gallon my friend said, they can't afford our cars. To say that they use the horn libreally would be quite an understatement, the way driving is done there is like it was in China and can't be explained you just have to experience it for yourself. It's a real hoot.

Tired from all the traveling we just get some dinner and walk around at night, then get lost because they don't name streets in the tourist district there. Next day we get our [censored] together and visit the "monkey temple", there are monkeys and cows and dogs all over the place. Next day we take the aptly described "bus ride from hell" from Katmandu to Jiri because my friend is too cheap to spring for a cab which would have been $70 maybe, we pay $10 instead for the busride which he describes as "good value".

The bus started out half full, then there was a mudslide on the so called "road" we spent about 3 hours hanging around there with rumors of staying the night there. A half dozen men are using sledghammers to hit a couple large rocks blocking the road while another 3 dozen people watch. This is the only road between Jiri and Katmandu, there are about 3/2 dozen full buses stranded there. Our bus driver cuts a deal with another bus driver on the other side to exchange passangers and we countine. The bus becomes packed, like really really full. The road is terrifingly narrow on steep mountains. The bus is so full, road so bad, with rain (monsoon season) that we're going about 10-15 mph an hour. The complete bus ride is about 13 hours, about 5 of it was with vomit on the ground next to me.

Next day the hike starts! The start was kind of interesting. The US govt. recommends against travelling to Nepal, there are Maoists there (I believe 6,000 people have died in the last 3 or 6 years), and also the monarch is too powerful and the student congress is constantly having rallies against him. Most trekkers fly from katmandu to lukla, the trail between jiri and lukla is maoist area. In the town of Jiri a couple of teenagers in bad english ask me and my friend what we're doing, where we're going and stuff. Then as we start to hike these same guys keep following us, they keep trying to lead us off paths up hills off the main trail where no one is. Me and Jay pause a few times to let them go ahead of us but everytime we do they walk off ahead of us where we can't see them and then wait for us to get there. I was scared, I was sure they were Maoists trying to rob us or something. It took a few hours of this before we parted ways. We then ended up following a couple of cute kids who acted as guides and took us on a 2 hour detour. In retrospect the older kids were probably trying to be guides for money too.

We spent 6 days hiking from Jiri to Namche Bazaar, I was the only white person the whole way, no other tourists. The area was just farmers and porters. No electricity anywhere, very simple accomodations just a small room and bad bed. It was monsoon season so the hiking was kind of miserable, it rained starting from 11 AM, to 3 PM, and then for the rest of the day everyday, sometimes quite hard. The hiking was hard too, they are the Himalayans. About as steep as the White Mountains, about 7 or 8 hours of hiking a day, tough long days. It was particularly hard for Jay who was in questionable shape, his boots didn't fit, and he hurt his ankle for the last couple of days.

The porters there are amazing, they carry 220 pounds often times, barefoot or in sandals, up these steep mountains. That is their job, they do it everyday, even in the monsoon, a tough life. That is how they have to transport things around there, there are no roads. After 7 days we get to Namche Bazaar, where most treekrs start located at 10,500 feet.

Here is where I was no longer able to get good sleep, it's unnerving waking up in the middle of the night having a hard time breathing. From there the route was to Tengboche, where I felt a little sick and then to Pheriche at 12,500 ft. I got altitude sickness there. Try and imagine being at 12,500 feet, a couple days hike and an airplane ride away from medical treatment at night in the pitch dark with it being very cold - you have trouble breathing and vomit, that was scary. The next day I felt a little better but didn't aclimitize spent the whole day fretting over whether to go down and give up or stay another night and try and go on. I got scared and went down, while my friend abandoned me to go on with some good looking Belgium girls we met (pictures below).

The next night back in Tengobche I got sick again, terrible headache and fever, I was 100% ready to give up and get the hell out of there. Next morning though I felt fine, and found the courage to fight the tedium and possible sickness that lay ahead and went back up to Pheriche. Stayed at Pheriche a night, and then the next day just to be extra safe I spent another day at Pherice and did a day hike to acclimitize, a good prudent decision. I saw my friend again on his way down and we parted ways, he was off to Indian to visit family.

Now I was hiking by myself but I was kind of used to it from travelling before and hiking on the appalachian trail. Met a few tourists along the way and got along well with them which was good. It was lonely going from Jiri to Namche and not meeting anyone. Next day went to Lobuche and stayed the night. Next day got a guide and went to Everest Base Camp and back to Gorak Shep to spend the night. Then next day we went to Kala Patar and I went back to Tengobche for the night, and next day to Lukla, and next day flew back to Katmandu.

Everest Base Camp and Kala Pattar were amazing (I had no more altitude sickness btw). The highest point was Kala Pattar at 18,300 feet, that is really high. With about 45% of the oxygen you normally get, breathing is hard. People told me the hike to Base Camp wasn't worth it, there are no views but I found it absoultely fascinitating. It is completely barren there, just rocks it looks like a construction site. And then after that we hiked on morraines and glaciers for an hour. It is unnerving to hike on glaciers, you can hear it cracking and melting beneath you. Every 20 minutes or so we could hear an avalanche in the distance. At Base Camp it started snowing, my guide didn't seem to mind the cold he didn't have a jacket on or gloves, I was getting really cold. At Base Camp at 16k feet the river starts that me and Jay had hiked along for 2 weeks, the Dodi Khosi I think. Fast big vicious river below, here it was small and beautiful, it had a aqua blue color which up against white glaciers was amazing.

Kala Pattar was something special. The pictures don't do it justice, this is the top of the world, surronded 210 degrees by massive white mountains. Hiking up Kala Pattar was a real challenge. Everyone passed me, near the top of Pattar I would take about 5 steps and be sucking air out of breathe for a minute, and repeat the process. I couldn't feel my toes or hands. It's hard to see Everest from there but there was another mountain above us Chotse I think, and since we left at 4:30 AM because the clouds move in fast to ruin the views it had an amazing etherel quality as it appeared out of the mist and darkness, and then was highlighted by the sun, again the pictures don't do it justice.

Hiked down real fast, got to Katmandu, stayed there a couple of days and left. I hadn't slept in about 10 days, all the food there made me sick, I WAS sick again in Katmandu with maybe giardia. The plane ride home was about 40 hours of travelling, from Katmandu to San Franciscio and then to Boston. I was sick the whole trip too, brutal. By the time I got him I lost 15 pounds, had no appetite and was ready to die.

The people in Nepal were all very nice. The views were amazing, the accomplishment and success of the challenge was nice and being in Nepal for 3 weeks left me with a genuine appreciation for the first time of the United States. People there want to come to the US but can't. Life there is just plain hard. Often I'd be in the US and look at ugly roads and loud noisy cars and think "damn that is ugly I wish it was prettier here, and quieter and more remote." Well I don't anymore, and anything like that in the US is fake, it isn't really remote, and it's existence depends upon all of our technology. I have a true appreciation now for houses, plumbing, heat, electricity, college, the United States.

I didn't proof read this, I hope some of you managed to enjoy, and make it through my length trip report. Pictures below.

ThaSaltCracka
09-26-2005, 12:16 AM
nice report, where are the pics?

theBruiser500
09-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Uploading now

Tron
09-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Awesome.

MyTurn2Raise
09-26-2005, 12:26 AM
freaking fantastic

seriously

college_boy
09-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Really interesting stuff... I spent two weeks in india this summer and it was a good experience. What inspired you to take a trip like this?

theBruiser500
09-26-2005, 12:38 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/Yak.jpg

A yak, I wanted to take a lot of these truly peculiar looking creatures but my had to make my camrae battery last for 3 weeks.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/Tengboche.jpg

View from Tengboche on an abnormally clear day. For 90% of the time it was cloudy, and you wouldn't even imagine these huge mountains were lurking in the background. It was quite amazing to see the clouds lift and for them to suddenly appear.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/porters3.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/porters2.jpg

220 pounds. 40 darnis, which is 2.5 kilograms, which is 200 something pounds.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/porters1.jpg

Porters carrying massive wood for construction of new places for trekkers to stay the night. I passed maybe 100 porters a day.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/belgiumGirls.jpg

The hot Belgium girls. Though perhaps not the brighest bulbs in the house, one of them thought Russia was still the communist Soviet Union. Minimum wage is really high there, I think 10 euros an hour, and they said they have a flat tax of 34% or something like that, which doesn't make much sense to me, a flat tax and univerisal healthcare.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/meKalaPatar.jpg
Me on top of Kala Pattar

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/meBaseCamp.jpg
Me at base camp

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/Lhotse.jpg

Taken from Gorak Shep, on the way up Kala Patar, Lhotse, Everest is right to the left and behind it. Lhotse is massive.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/iceFall.jpg

Glaciers, that is an icefall which a person could fall into and die if they aren't careful.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/helicopter1.jpg

A glacier lifting up one of the 2 crashed helicopters at base camp like it was nothing. Glaciers are incredibly strong.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/cuteKid.jpg

A cute kid who used a lot of my limited camrae battery taking 20 pictures of the floor.

(http://img173.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chotse18wk.jpg)appearing out of the mist.

[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/chotse3.jpg

The sun highlighting Choatse.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/thebruiser500/barrenMorraine.jpg

The barren, fascinating morraines on the trek to Everest Base Camp.

jakethebake
09-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Very cool, Bruiser. I'm envious.

touchfaith
09-26-2005, 12:44 AM
Dude, those are some great shots. The candid of the little girl is very well done as well as peak through the mist. They are all great, very well done...

You should share these over at Fred Miranda too, you'll get some great feedback if you are into photography.

Clarkmeister
09-26-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My friend haggled over the prices (he's Indian) which strikes me as petty,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, nevermind.

Nice report. Sounds like a wonderful experience.

Vish
09-26-2005, 01:05 AM
Nice report, and excellent pictures. I'm going to India myself this winter, and I'd like to see all this stuff you described, but I don't know if I have the stones for it. Your trek sounded f-cking gruesome, especially toward the end. I wouldn't have figured you for such a mountaineer.

wacki
09-26-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

A cute kid who used a lot of my limited camrae battery taking 20 pictures of the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/49/b01b1mc.jpg

Just hang it off your backpack and it will charge while you are walking. It's so light you won't notice.

If you ever need equipment advice. Call me.

Amazing pics bruiser.

rusellmj
09-26-2005, 01:12 AM
Good stuff. Thanks.

InchoateHand
09-26-2005, 01:24 AM
You are sprouting facial hair? Wow, they grow up so fast.

MMMMMM
09-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Great report and photos.

One of my favorite books has been The Snow Leopard, which describes a trek taken by Peter Matthiessen through Nepal, etc. Really fascinating; I think you'd like it and find it especially interesting now that you've been to some of those places.

Your trip all sounds great except for the being sick part--jeez. Good going though;-)

BreakEvenPlayer
09-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Great post Bruiser, incredible images. I can't wait to go there.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 01:41 AM
Very cool that you did this. I mean, it's nowhere as cool as ZeeJustin hanging out w/ a bunch of pro poker players at an apartment in Vegas watching each other play online poker, but it's pretty close.

ggbman
09-26-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very cool that you did this. I mean, it's nowhere as cool as ZeeJustin hanging out w/ a bunch of pro poker players at an apartment in Vegas watching each other play online poker, but it's pretty close.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i found this quite amusing, although zee did win 20k the other day.

wuwei
09-26-2005, 02:06 AM
Thanks for sharing, Bruiser. Some of those pics were very stunning, nice work.

KKbluff
09-26-2005, 02:20 AM
A couple years back I spent 3 weeks in Nepal.

One of the most facinating places I have ever been.

The poverty there astounded me.
We spent most of our time in Kathmandu, but we traveled to many of the other cities as well.
The temples they have are spectacular and the natural beauty is amazing (although the air in the cities was very very polluted).

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit!

(dont even get me started about the day I spent in Bangkok en route to Nepal, lol)

theBruiser500
09-26-2005, 02:33 AM
Yeah it really is a very poor place, and fairly big too at population of 25 million. Dal bhaat (rice and some barley sauce, dinner every day) cost like 80 rupees in the non tourist places, $1. Room for the night was 20 rupees in some places, average annual income was $360 a year not too long ago. It's dirty there too, I pictured an idyllic mountain or farm setting, but that does not mesh with reality. Reality is they need cows and yaks to live, and these cows and yaks [censored] all over the place. The people who live there also throw their trash all over the trail. From Jiri to Namche there was trash all over the place, and then ironically from Namche on the tourist place it then started to get clean.

KaneKungFu123
09-26-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A few weeks ago I went to nepal and think it was absolutely brutal in some respects, and in other ways it was very worthwhile (I'd have a hard time classifying the trip as "fun"). The travel was killer, was in Santa Barbara and then my friend Jay who I stayed with for the summer had to go to his home in San Francisco for some bullshit reason we drive 6 hours up there. Then we stay there for a couple days boring. Then we get onto an airplane and fly to Hong Kong, then Tapei, then Bangkok with a significant number of layover hours in there.

My friend did the plane ticket so we spend a night in Bankgog I don't know why. The heat there was tough, everyone said pollution there was bad I didn't feel it much. we went to a caberet show which was very bad, it was all men dressed as women, no one did their own signing it was all a recording. It was gross, they were wearing dresses but you could see their arm hair. Bankgog was a bad place, most people seem to agree on that, why are you there Kane Kung fu?

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus christ, brusier. one night in bangkok and you go to a gay caberet show? did you lose my instructions or something? if i knew this would be the results, i would have gone to the trouble of walking you through the whole thing...

rofl, bankgog is more fun if you go to bars with naked women....classic brusier...rofl...

theBruiser500
09-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Oh one more thing. Tourism revenues in Nepal have gone down a lot the last few years because the US govt. recommends against going there. Tourism is huge to people there, more than one person asked me to tell people that it's safe to go there. Notwithstanding what I said about the Maoists it's safe to travel there, if you run into Maoists they'll ask for a donation that's all. Which btw, I met someone else who passed through Jiri to Namche like me but they did get stopped by Maoists. People said that the Maoist will ask where you're from, if you're from Australia, or Europe, or South America you get charged 500 rupees. If you are from Great Britian it's 5,000 rupees, and if you're from America 10,000 rupees. This guy payed 5k rupees and this is pretty awesome, the Maoists gave him a signed receit to show that he did "donate" 5k rupees to them.

KaneKungFu123
09-26-2005, 02:54 AM
not haggling is stupid. if you want to be charitable, give money to people not trying to steal it from you.

(everyone should have an indian friend)

STLantny
09-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Those mountain pics are awesome.

KaneKungFu123
09-26-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh one more thing. Tourism revenues in Nepal have gone down a lot the last few years because the US govt. recommends against going there. Tourism is huge to people there, more than one person asked me to tell people that it's safe to go there. Notwithstanding what I said about the Maoists it's safe to travel there, if you run into Maoists they'll ask for a donation that's all. Which btw, I met someone else who passed through Jiri to Namche like me but they did get stopped by Maoists. People said that the Maoist will ask where you're from, if you're from Australia, or Europe, or South America you get charged 500 rupees. If you are from Great Britian it's 5,000 rupees, and if you're from America 10,000 rupees. This guy payed 5k rupees and this is pretty awesome, the Maoists gave him a signed receit to show that he did "donate" 5k rupees to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting stuff brusier! i regret not meeting up with you!

they must get a good laugh at all the white guys coming around in nice clothes taking pictures of them!

come back next year and we'll do india. im dying to do india. bring your indian friend. i think in india there is more of a regular economy to go with tourist economy so things arent so awkward.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dal bhaat (rice and some barley sauce, dinner every day) cost like 80 rupees in the non tourist places, $1.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got ripped off big time. Seriously.

KaneKungFu123
09-26-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dal bhaat (rice and some barley sauce, dinner every day) cost like 80 rupees in the non tourist places, $1.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got ripped off big time. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh, diablo.

J.A.Sucker
09-26-2005, 03:10 AM
Great report and amazing pics, dude.

KaneKungFu123
09-26-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great report and amazing pics, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

this got knocked back to the 5th page, just wanted to bump it up.

Yeti
09-26-2005, 05:25 AM
vnh danny

KaneKungFu123
09-26-2005, 05:36 AM
i missed the part about eruo chicks traveling together. you could have been in there easily if you wanted to. i hope you atleast spit some of your game at them. you could have just gotta them both drunk on the local moonshine and talked about how exciting everything in nepal. easy ass, danny.

Yeti
09-26-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this got knocked back to the 5th page, just wanted to bump it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

5th page? you need to sort your forum settings out pronto.

ps. danny, those chicks aren't hot.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-26-2005, 06:00 AM
bruiser great story.

Jason Strasser
09-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Nice Danny. I grew up in Hong Kong but never been to Nepal although I always wanted to.

-Jason

The Truth
09-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Awesome story, great read. I am going to Nepal.

I'll post a report as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-blake

kipin
09-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Sweet pics and story, reminds me a small bit of Copper Canyon Mexico (poor people, beautiful scenery, thin mountain air), but I'm sure your journey was much more exciting and challenging.

sfer
09-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Terrific pictures.

jason_t
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Fantastic story and wonderful pictures. Thank you.

1800GAMBLER
09-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Amazing trip.

jfresh
09-26-2005, 11:58 AM
not sure if you mentioned it before, but what kind of camera did you use to take the pictures?

SomethingClever
09-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Cool report, Bruiser. Thanks!

theBruiser500
09-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Kodak EasyShare DX7440

Matt Flynn
09-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Nice trip report Bruiser. Life is an accumulation of good stories, and this is that.

Voltron87
09-27-2005, 12:32 AM
awesome picks man, sounds like a great trip. youve got me wanting to go travel as soon as i can, my mouth is watering.

Luv2DriveTT
09-28-2005, 01:03 AM
My new hero... I am so jealous. Its been years since I've traveled like that, its my dream to have the freedom to do that again someday.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

felson
09-28-2005, 01:58 AM
Great report Danny. I'm seriously impressed that you endured the hike and altitude.

Jules22
09-28-2005, 02:04 AM
seriously, this is some fantastic stuff. excellent post

Boris
10-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Awesome report Danny. This should get you some chicks I'm pretty sure.

Lazymeatball
10-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Wow, I'm really impressed by this trek. Now that I have read your story about Nepal, I never want to go there as you just gave us the Cliff Notes.

I do kind of like that movie "The Man Who would be King" with Sean Connery and Michael Caine though. It's based on a Rudyard Kipling novel, you'd probably like it.

astroglide
10-02-2005, 01:14 PM
great report and pics