PDA

View Full Version : made my straight

avandelay
05-13-2003, 12:37 AM
1/2 PP

not terribly aggressive but not completely passive either

I am in the SB with 56 os (suits not important)

3 limpers to me (L1, L2, L3) , I call, BB raises, all call including me (was that a mistake?)

flop comes 248 giving me two gut shot straight draws

I check (too weak?), BB bets, all call including me.

turn: 2

I check again, BB bets (by now I've put him on an over pair), one drops (L1), two call and so do I.

river: 7

Excellent, I've made the nuts.

I check (employing the ever powerful check raise), BB bets, L2 raises (where is he coming from?), L3 folds, not be deterred I follow through on my plan and I raise, BB folds (that's good right?), L2 caps it, (Oh sh**t) I call.

He turned over 88 for eights full.

Was I outplayed? Should I have played any differently?

PS: BB indicated he had AA

Nottom
05-13-2003, 12:47 AM
well if you got beat by a boat, that would indicate you did not hold the nuts.

Additionally, I'm not going to comment on the merits of playing 56o from the SB before or after the raise.

Post-flop, I think you played fine.

Given his play to this point, i wouldn't have expected to see a boat. He certainly lost out on some bets from mr AA and maybe you as well, by not showing his hand a bit sooner in this hand, so I'd hardly say he "outplayed" you. Tough break, we've all been there.

travisand
05-13-2003, 02:37 AM
3 limpers to me (L1, L2, L3) , I call, BB raises, all call including me (was that a mistake?)

I am not entirely sure about completing the sb but I believe it is worth calling the BB's raise after you have completed.

I check (too weak?), BB bets, all call including me.

No, this is a common way to play draws.

On the river I like your plan of check-raising but when the limper raises I would just call hoping for an overcall from the BB. Then again, I probably reasonably put the limper on a boat so I might 3 bet it.

I do not think that you were out played, I think you actually saved a few bets due to the limper waiting until the river to show aggression. Although had he shown aggression earlier you might have gotten away from your straight draw.

biggambler
05-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Except for: 2 2 2 2, 2 2 2 8 8, 2 2 2 7 7, 2 2 2 4 4, 2 2 8 8 8, 2 2 7 7 7, 2 2 4 4 4. Anytime a pair hits the board there are a lot of hands that beat a straight.

avandelay
05-13-2003, 08:52 PM
That was my thought process...obviously I was wrong.