PDA

View Full Version : ? for SnG pros

NWCougar
09-25-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm just curious here and have a few questions for those who play SnG's full-time.

1) What buy-in do you play the most?
2) How many Tourney's do you play in a day?
3) What buy-in could a good player make $1000 a week at?

I'm not looking to go pro, ever, I'm just curious here. Also, if these answers are already in another post I'd appreciate a link. Thanks

MegaBet
09-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Can I suggest the FAQ and a little math.

citanul
09-25-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just curious here and have a few questions for those who play SnG's full-time.

I'm not looking to go pro, ever, I'm just curious here. Also, if these answers are already in another post I'd appreciate a link. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

my daily goal is 500 games at the 10+1 level, and to make $1000 a day. but i'm amazing, so it would probably take a lesser player all week to do that.

citanul

<font color="white">search much? faq maybe? </font>

09-26-2005, 01:00 AM
1. I try to concentrate on 5+.50 on stars until I build my BANKROLL up on the week. I try to catch some FISH early on and play a solid tight game. I've given the stars 6+.50 turbos a shot but honestly that's a little above my bankroll. I don't like VARIANCE and some DONKEY is always drawing out on me.

2. I can sometimes play up to ten tourney's a day if i'm rested, but one time I multitabled two games at once and did fifteen!!! Lets just say things got kind of crazy. It was hard to keep track of all the action on two tables at once. Sure my hourly rate went up but my ROI per tournement was lower than i desired so i switched back to single tabling the stars 5+.50

3. Haha you are funny forgetting to put a decimal point in your number. Many people say you can make 50 dollars a weak playing 5+.50 on stars but these morons aren't looking at a large enough sample size. A solid 1-2 tabler like myself can pull off $10.00 a week at the 5+.5 over the long run. Most of these "good" posters don't have the sample size to validate their lucky swings. Practice and read a few books and you too could pull in $10.00 a week with a good rakeback program.

OK enough being a jackass. I'm no "Pro" but an above average player could make $1000 a week 8 tabling the 20's with good concentration.

NWCougar
09-26-2005, 01:12 AM
The reason I'm asking is someone in a class of mine says he makes $1000.00 a week 4 tabling $22 SnG's. i say that's BS so i thought i'd ask here.

splashpot
09-26-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason I'm asking is someone in a class of mine says he makes $1000.00 a week 4 tabling $22 SnG's. i say that's BS so i thought i'd ask here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've 4 tabled the $22s for the past 2-3 weeks in my spare time and made about $500 a week. But that's just my spare time.

helpmeout
09-26-2005, 01:27 AM
I'm a pro but not an SNG pro.

A professional needs a higher than average earn because it is tough to play more than 30-40 hours a week longterm.

It is also easy to say that you are making $1000 a week but until you have played for an extended period of time this is an unreliable figure.

If you half what most people say they earn you'd probably be closer to the true figure.

09-26-2005, 01:31 AM
He would have to play a lot to make that. If he's only 4 tabling and is also at college he's probably running good and just telling you the high end of his results.

But with 8-tabling, $1000/week @ $22 is very achievable.

So what he said might be a tad high, but certainly not unbelievable.

09-26-2005, 01:32 AM
This is an easy thing for you to figure out for yourself.

The important question is "How many does he play in a week?"

A person playing 40/day 4-tabling (about 8 hrs. of work) at a 20% ROI, 7 days/wk. would average $1232/wk.

lorinda
09-26-2005, 02:05 AM
I'm a pro but not an SNG pro.

LOL.

Given that you are the worst player ever to have posted in this forum, I think it is very unlikely.

Do we really have to put up with this troll much longer?

Lori

09-26-2005, 02:06 AM
LOL

splashpot
09-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Feeling a bit of hostility Lori?

helpmeout
09-26-2005, 02:10 AM
Dont you have anything better to do?

lorinda
09-26-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Feeling a bit of hostility Lori?

[/ QUOTE ]

I told the guy he was wrong this morning, he asked for proof, I gave him proof, he ignored it and went to another thread, I've wasted an hour or two of my life trying to teach this guy why the fundamental theorem of poker is not valid for SNGs and also that it isn't 100% reliable for ring games either and he continues to post his gibberish in spite of everything.

Yes, a bit of hostility. This forum is a very good forum, I thought we had avoided most of the idiots. Pretending to be a pro just makes it more ridiculous.

Lori

lorinda
09-26-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dont you have anything better to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well helping you improve your game is no longer top of my list. I didn't even get a "thanks" for the effort I put in this morning. I really hate turds like yourself who think that I have nothing better to do than help them out.

Seriously, poker isn't for you. Give up now.

Lori

The Don
09-26-2005, 02:18 AM
1k per week is very achievable 8 tabling the $22s. I averaged $45/hour this summer in close to 2000 tournaments.

helpmeout
09-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Your constant whining is a great help.

Thanks for the motivation.

Big Limpin'
09-26-2005, 02:24 AM
...22s/55s about even split

...between 0-50.
...1000 a month is a goal i always set, and sometimes reach

...really good player at 22s, 20%roi ($5 per, 250/week)
...quite decent player at 55s, 10%roi ($5 per, 250/week)
...this would all depend on how many hours you can put in, and if you can multitable. and if you are really good, you could make your $1k/week at the 109s or above in very few hours indeed, even single tabling.

Of course, $1k/week really means a string of
+550
+1435
+850
+1100
etcetera.

Hope that helps, and isnt too buried in bitchfest /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BL'

Scuba Chuck
09-26-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Lorinda, this guy could use a good 'table coaching.'

lorinda
09-26-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Lorinda, this guy could use a good 'table coaching.'

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Scuba.

I've given up. He has a good proof that he is wrong to work with. If he chooses to ignore it, he will go bust. What he does with it is up to him.

He says he's motivated and I wish him well, I just hope he stops posting incorrect "facts" on this forum.

Lori

Big Limpin'
09-26-2005, 02:35 AM
OP[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bad_egg[ QUOTE ]
A person playing 40/day 4-tabling (about 8 hrs. of work) at a 20% ROI, 7 days/wk. would average $1232/wk.

[/ QUOTE ]

That about nails it. I personally know several players who have very close to these figures. The only caveat is that we all have 50 hours/week avaliable.

Some one with a 9-5 or a student will necessarily have to play higher (and still have good winrate), failing their being able to 8-table.
Missing sleep is --EV /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

citanul
09-26-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi.

i just read a bunch of this stuff from this morning.

you were wrong.

others were right.

there is a great deal of mathematics that goes on in the analysis of these games.

simple statements such as "go reread top if you don't understand me" just doesn't cut the mustard when someone else has evidence of what they're saying and all you have is "i must be right, i've read a book."

even in TOP, situation are pointed out where the fundamental theorem of poker is violated.

it should be no surprise to you then that in this new form of poker of which you have an incredibly limited knowledge base, there are other situations where the FtoP is violated.

in sngs, there are many times when simply making your opponent make a mistake does not win you money. if you want to understand the point it goes like this: your opponent making a poor play can cost him money while costing your money by distributing that money to the rest of the players at the table. this happens most frequently when an opponent makes a bad call at a point of the tournament near the money. because you both are in danger of busting out in this sort of situation, the other players get a chunk of each of your prize pool equities.

my suggestion is that you maybe read a little and berate less instead of just assuming everyone else is an idiot. it's much less likely to wind up that no one ever responds to another one of your posts, which is fairly likely if you do continue to be douche.

citanul

09-26-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just hope he stops posting incorrect "facts" on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind if he says stuff that's wrong, I just wish he would say it with less confidence. Saying what he's thinking and getting corrected is a great way for him to learn.

Come to think of it, I don't really mind that much when people with a tiny post count have a ton of confidence in their false statements. But when someone with 2000+ posts goes around pretending to know what they're doing when they don't, the forums loses credibility because postcount is certainly used by new readers trying to get a grasp of the forum.

lorinda
09-26-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind if he says stuff that's wrong, I just wish he would say it with less confidence. Saying what he's thinking and getting corrected is a great way for him to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree entirely.

Lori

citanul
09-26-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree entirely.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

adanthar
09-26-2005, 02:55 AM
See, the problem is that while trolling is funny, he's not trolling, just genuinely posting bad advice.

That makes him a liability and, were I a moderator, I'd just edit all of his posts to something like 'I'm a giant moron that needs to read a book before I post here'.

Then again, I'd do that to a bunch of other people too just to watch the fireworks so it's probably a good thing I'm not a mod. What can I say, I post on forums where guys like this would have a six hour lifetime.

helpmeout
09-26-2005, 02:59 AM
You obviously didnt read too much.

My point is dont waste your time saying this is wrong without a proper explanation because it is a waste of time.

I'm not going to blindly follow someones opinion on something. Anyone who does will not do too well.

lorinda
09-26-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My point is dont waste your time saying this is wrong without a proper explanation because it is a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me what is wrong with my explanation.

I am not qualified to explain Morten's theorem and hence I refered you to the search. It's not relevant to SNGs anyway.

The ICM analysis I did for you on why opponents can make mistakes and cost you a lot of money may not have been the best example ever, but I thought it was clear enough. If you have a problem with it, and can actually bring yourself to not be entirely rude, I would be happy to explain.

Lori

johnnybeef
09-26-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What can I say, I post on forums where guys like this would have a six hour lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, it sounds like there are some real hard ass niggas on the forums you post on.

Scuba Chuck
09-26-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You obviously didnt read too much.

I'm not going to blindly follow someones opinion on something. Anyone who does will not do too well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, the pot calling the kettle black!

I've got a better idea. Go study SNG theory, game play. Comeback when YOU know something. In the meantime, I'll be sure not to correct your LHE game theory.

helpmeout
09-26-2005, 03:32 AM
The hand in question was 7 handed not 4handed.

I dont see how opponents mistakes are going to cost you much in that situation yes if it was 4 or 5 handed you have to account for it but 7 handed I dont think your chip value is worth all that much when only top 3 get paid.

I would prefer that my opponents made mistakes that would allow me a better chance of finishing in 1st.

raptor517
09-26-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The hand in question was 7 handed not 4handed.

I dont see how opponents mistakes are going to cost you much in that situation yes if it was 4 or 5 handed you have to account for it but 7 handed I dont think your chip value is worth all that much when only top 3 get paid.

I would prefer that my opponents made mistakes that would allow me a better chance of finishing in 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be playing step 5s with that deep understanding of sng poker. holla

Hendricks433
09-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Wow.... Can we say Hijacking a Thread? Not that I care much, just thought it was funny.

Mr_J
09-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Your friend could definately make 1k a week 4 tabling the 22s. He'd need about a 24% ROI if he was working a 35hr week.

1) 22s
2) I've averaged less than 10 since january, and this is actually my job lol
3) $11s

Someone 8tabling 11s for 35hrs a week with a 21% ROI would hit 1k. But it's not like anyone would do it, they'd just move up to the 22s.

Degen
09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
i play full time

8-tabling i'm hitting around 100 a week, which means i'm a lazy batch-i play the 109's

assuming you are good enough (and thats a big assumption) and depending on how much you play and how many tables you can play...IMO $1,000 a week could start as low as the 22's

Degen
09-26-2005, 10:15 AM
link to this lori?

i'd have to say i think the theorum is applicable to sng's...hence the reason i bet huge to protect my hands when i think people are drawing...

Mr_J
09-26-2005, 10:21 AM
"8-tabling i'm hitting around 100 a week"

Lazy arse. Make an effort like I'm about to, 30 a day (it's only 3hrs work).

"IMO $1,000 a week could start as low as the 22's"

Lower.

Degen
09-26-2005, 10:26 AM
shall we do a challenge?

i'm going overseas 10/4 and this is supposed to be when i'm earning all the money-could certainly use the motivation

fnord_too
09-26-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
link to this lori?

i'd have to say i think the theorum is applicable to sng's...hence the reason i bet huge to protect my hands when i think people are drawing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think a lot of that is interpretation. If you only consider the hand in question, and only consider chip EV, not cashing EV, ftop has next to no applicability in the late S&amp;G game. If you consider those things, then it has applicability again.

At any rate, in any game the FTOP is only really good for theoretical discussions since poker is a game of partial information, so at best you are applying it to a range of hands and your estimation error of that range (and associated probabilities) will be significant. (Yes, there are times you can say someone is making a FTOP error regardless of the cards they hold, but usually trying to apply it to a hand you are playing is silly since you don't know the other players cards.)

Degen
09-26-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
late S&amp;G game

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh, agreed...i meant early going, next time i'll wait to get the link before i chime in w/ my opinion /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fnord_too
09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
late S&amp;G game

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh, agreed...i meant early going, next time i'll wait to get the link before i chime in w/ my opinion /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read it either /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I was just barging into the thread because I'm like that. Although cashing EV needs to be considered from hand 1 in an STT, but it usually is not a big enough consideration to sway a decision until later. If you consider cashing EV in your FTOP analysis, it's all moot.

schwza
09-26-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What can I say, I post on forums where guys like this would have a six hour lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh? are there other good poker forums out there?

Mr_J
09-26-2005, 11:04 AM
"shall we do a challenge?"

30 a day is challenge enough for me lol. Whatever you do I'll match it.

adanthar
09-26-2005, 12:23 PM
I know, I'm a total Internet badass. I lost count of how many times I've e-killed people online and possibly hurt their feelings years ago.

It's a nice way of separating out the people I wanna talk to, though...if someone gets upset over an accurate but sarcastic post I made, I don't really want to spend six months moderating my tone before they take me seriously, y'know? holla.

edit: non-poker forums

RikaKazak
09-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Ummm, I play SNG's (sometime 55's 109's adn 215's) and NL 400 and NL 600 6max. This month I'm up 4K in SNG's and 11K in cash game. I play 20 hours a week and probably 20% of my time is spent on SNG's. ohhh, and I play 4-8 tables at a time, depending on how my newly formed real estate company is doing (2 monitors, either 1 monitor pp 1 real estate, or 2 monitors pp /images/graemlins/smile.gif. pm me if you do real esate and deal in the spokane washington area /images/graemlins/smile.gif

johnnybeef
09-26-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know, I'm a total Internet badass. I lost count of how many times I've e-killed people online and possibly hurt their feelings years ago.

It's a nice way of separating out the people I wanna talk to, though...if someone gets upset over an accurate but sarcastic post I made, I don't really want to spend six months moderating my tone before they take me seriously, y'know? holla.

edit: non-poker forums

[/ QUOTE ]

yo, i aint gonna f witcha /images/graemlins/grin.gif