PDA

View Full Version : How do I know when to fold the second best hand ?

mark76g
05-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi,

This is something I have been having a lot of trouble with.
I can't throw away the second best hand.
Its annoying me because I can't tell if I'm actually playing a winning game overall.

My logic is that if I play a fairly tight by the book game in low-limit games I should win out in the end just by having more self disipline than other lose players who like to gamble.

The games im playing in are loose low limit. I'm usually winning before the flop. Several players will always come to the flop. At least two others but often 5 or 6.

Here are some typical situations that tend to get me.
I get say A,K in late position and raise. Several people call. The flop comes A98 offsuite .
Somebody bets out because they've made two pair 8s and 9s. I can't be sure of that though because the guy would do the same thing if he only had a pair of 99s or a pair of 88s .
I decide I must be winning and raise as much as I can which is great for him.

I have similar problems when I make something good on the flop like trips or top two pair, try to drive people out by raising and they all call along then somebody makes a better hand than mine on the turn or the river (They probably did have the correct pot odds because of all the other people).

I just can't throw my hand away and I really pay for it.
There are a few tight people who I can fold against but most of these people are lose players.
I can't make them fold and because somebody always comes along I always seem to get cleaned out.

Sometimes I get the better of them of course but I seem to lose more than I win from not throwing away the second best hand.

Is there a way I can measure if I'm really playing a winning game. How often do I have to be getting the best of it to be a winning player. Say I chase sombody to the river like an idiot once per hour is that enough to make me an overall loser. ?

More importantly how should I be playing in these tough situations ? . If in doubt should I just fold ? (rasing sometimes thins the field but never eliminates everybody).

Somes I fold a dangerous flop against these lose guys because I only have Ace high and then Queen high goes on to win it which is really annoying.

Any suggestions ?

Nottom
05-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Is there a way I can measure if I'm really playing a winning game.

Do you win money when you play? If so then I guess you are winner.**

As for the knowing when to fold, basically just pay attention to your opponents. Will they only raise with two pair or better? Will they call with any peice of the flop regardless of odds?

If they are constantly sucking out on you ... good. Everytime they chase when they don't have the odds you are making money. Standard loose game changes can be applied as well, big cards go down in value, suited connectors go up.

Post some hands, study your play. Read stuff here and I'm sure you can get a better feel for when you should be betting, chasing, or folding.

Good Luck.

** Short term results may be misleading.

bernie
05-13-2003, 02:35 AM
here's an easy one...

how about watching what theyd bet with in a given situation. your example of the 89 hand. you raised his bet. he 3 bets you. what will he 3 bet with here? street by street, knowing your opponents bet standards is key. and it really isnt that difficult. stuff like if theyll bet/raise draws. or how theyd play on boards where a draw is possibly there. would they only bet it if they have it? how aggressive they play just a pair, or other 'made' hands.

however, it sounds like your problem is rooted in hand reading. id suggest read everything about handreading you can. even if youve read it before. restudy basic betting patterns also.

this should help a little to get you in the right direction

b