PDA

View Full Version : ..in defence of multiple emoticon usage..!!

scalf
09-25-2005, 05:24 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif most language experts<most of whom a certified geniuses> agree that 60-80% of the true content of a conversation has to do with factors other than just the words: i.e. eye contact, body position, voice tone, hand gestures' flippin' the bird, etc, all are just as important; or more important than; just a written transcript of spoken word; therefore; everyone who does not use emoticons; irregular placement of text; and other linguistic tools as a regular part of her posts; clearly is not even trying to communicate in an efffextive manner...

jmho

gl

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

TheBlueMonster
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif most language experts<most of whom a certified geniuses> agree that 60-80% of the true content of a conversation has to do with factors other than just the words: i.e. eye contact, body position, voice tone, hand gestures' flippin' the bird, etc, all are just as important; or more important than; just a written transcript of spoken word; therefore; everyone who does not use emoticons; irregular placement of text; and other linguistic tools as a regular part of her posts; clearly is not even trying to communicate in an efffextive manner...

jmho

gl

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
we need a link to this article /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PoBoy321
09-25-2005, 05:34 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

mslif
09-25-2005, 05:38 PM
emoticons are so cute /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheBlueMonster
09-25-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

touchfaith
09-25-2005, 05:45 PM
I have far too many opportunities to use them, plus I'm addicted. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

MrTrik
09-25-2005, 08:08 PM
You sir shouldn't talk about communication with words like effextive.

09-25-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and other linguistic tools as a regular part of her posts

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a guy.

jakethebake
09-26-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. They're cute. But people use them in place of actual communication. They're safe. People can use them w/o fear of someone else taking the actual words too seriously. People can stop using them and stop communicating anything whenever they want.

diebitter
09-26-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...all are just as important; or more important than; just a written transcript of spoken word; therefore; everyone who does not use emoticons; irregular placement of text; and other linguistic tools as a regular part of her posts; clearly is not even trying to communicate in an efffextive manner...

[/ QUOTE ]
Has someone swapped your comma and semicolon keys?

jason_t
09-26-2005, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm obsessed with emoticons in AIM. I find them extremely cute and use them constantly.

lem45216
09-26-2005, 07:00 AM
Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone on msn or similar where they've downloaded one of those 12835695732650246 free emoticon packages? That is where emoticons cross the line, because they've got a different one for every letter or possible letter grouping. E.g. if they type a "?" it appears as a gigantic pink ? with stars around it, clogging up the screen. So pointless and difficult to read. Anyone who has that when talking to me gets an instablocking.

Dave G.
09-26-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone on msn or similar where they've downloaded one of those 12835695732650246 free emoticon packages? That is where emoticons cross the line, because they've got a different one for every letter or possible letter grouping. E.g. if they type a "?" it appears as a gigantic pink ? with stars around it, clogging up the screen. So pointless and difficult to read. Anyone who has that when talking to me gets an instablocking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. Yeah. The offender of this category is almost exclusively female in my experience. I share your disdain for such crap, but I don't want to block all the cute females from talking to me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

lem45216
09-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Yeah, well if they're cute i might let it go. But if its heavy emoticon use coupled with "yer so wt u ^ den huni? lol 2day i wnt shppn lol wid ma m8s lol nd it wz gud lyk wel wkd. lol u lyk mi motikons den lol?! dey r wel wkd!!1 lol"
then i'm heading for that block button.