PDA

View Full Version : Come hither, and see the worst AA play ever.

09-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($67.65)
SB ($31.00)
BB ($22.80)
Hero ($19.30)
MP1 ($32.10)
MP2 ($3.20)
CO ($39.35)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.9</font>, MP1 calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.15) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: ($2.15) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: ($2.15) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

--caz-- : Bet ($9)
Wuidan28: Raise ($18)
--caz-- : Raise All-in ($9.40)
Wuidan28: Call ($0.40)
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $37.05 | Rake: $1.90

Board: [ Kc 5s 8d 7c 6c ]

--caz-- lost $19.30 (showed hand) [ Ah As ] (a pair of aces)
Wuidan28 bet $19.30, collected $37.05, net +$17.75 (showed hand) [ Qc Ac ] (a flush, ace high)

-----------------------
The converter didnt convert the last bit, I had to add it manually.

Now the worst play of AA would probably be to fold it preflop. So maybe this qualitfies as the second worst.
Im not the best player in the world. But I didn't even know I had the kind a "bad" in me to belt out a play like this. I was going for the check reraise on both the flop and the turn, and was too busy being pissed off at his lack of betting to notice the 3 clubs on the table.

So enjoy. It cost me 20$ to bring you this degree of entertainment.

Jokes aside, what do you do if your check raise plan doesnt work? Do you bet turn or, like I, do you continue to try to look weak? Should check raise be in my mind with AA while im UTG?

midget23
09-25-2005, 04:41 PM
i understand you missed your check raises but why not check/fold the river? noway you are ahead of any hands that are going to pay you 5X the pot with a flush and 4 card straight on board.

nWirb
09-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Atleast you have the balls to post it, but yeah, this is probably the worst AA play I have ever seen.

rikz
09-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Hero raised preflop, and he should bet the flop with a continuation bet of $2. He'll probably win, or get called/raised by a hand with a K in it (like AK or KQ or Kxs), a draw (like 67), or a set (which would probably call, and raise the turn). Some people will call with any piece of the flop, but fold on the turn or river.

The thing about continuation bets is that you have to have the goods sometimes. Here's a good example. If villain doesn't have one of the hands, above, then he'll fold, hero wins a small pot, and everybody's happy. Giving free cards to small pocket pairs or straight draws (or back door flush draws) expecting villain to do the betting for the preflop raiser just seems like a bad idea.

So, in general, I like bet the flop for $2, check a non-draw turn, but bet 3/4 pot with a draw turn, and blocking bet the river. If you get too much in the way of action in the way of raises on the flop, turn or river, seriously consider letting it go.

Now, if an aggro villain had raised, and you had just called as a trap - a bad idea IMO, but plausible - then you could check raise. But I perfer the plain old raise and reraise with AA preflop, lead the flop, and see where it goes from there.

amoeba
09-25-2005, 09:55 PM
so you check raise with AA/KK on that flop but bet with AK, KQ, QQ?

its pretty damn obvious to read you that way. we have no idea whether villain will bet the flop. AA is not that much better than say AK and unless if we specifically put villain on a K, theres almost no situation in which a flop check raise is better than a bet.

if your flop check raise doesn't work, at least bet the turn. but don't checkraise in the first place unless if you have a very specific read that villain will bet.

gol4pro
09-25-2005, 09:57 PM
For sure can't try to CR turn.

Flop CR might work against aggressive idiots, but most of the time it's better to pot it.

River makes me want to hurl.

09-25-2005, 10:44 PM
I chech raise when I get a flop where I feel as though I am in no danger of loosing the hand and Im not sure the villian caught a peice of it. The flop came rainbow with no straight possibilities. I wasnt afraid of KK becuase of my read on him preflop. I was hoping he had Kx, and was trying to get him to bet it. The second check came to show even more weakness, to induce a bet from him to steal the pot. The river bet came from not seeing the flush on the table and I was sure He didnt call my preflop raise with a card that made that straight.

I realize that I should have seen the 2nd club on the turn. I will never ever ever check twice in a row with a hand and in a position like this. Lesson learned.

amoeba
09-25-2005, 10:49 PM
if you had KK, i could maybe see checking the flop.

but if he has any pair on the flop, he has a 5 outer against you and you will have no idea he hits when he hits.

no danger of losing the hand is very loosely used here.

09-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Put in a stronger raise PF (esp. at small limits), and pot that [censored] flop!

mayesie
09-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Why are you so anxious to use one of the most overutilized moves in no-limit? There's nothing wrong w/ value betting a pair of aces on the flop (especially after showing strength pre-flop). Checking again on the turn is inexcusable. If you're going to check-raise, you should have a specific reason in mind:

- You're likely to get a bet from an aggressive opponent that you wouldn't get if you bet out

- You can afford to give a free card if it doesn't work (i.e. The board doesn't appear dangerous)

Remember, the purpose of no-limit is to win all of the money, not to make cute moves that show how sneaky you can be.

trumpman84
09-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Some people just aren't going to bluff or bet marginal hands no matter how many times you check it to them and will only go to war with you if they can beat one pair. Here, you ran into that kind of person, you should put a note on him and remember.

09-26-2005, 01:14 AM
Ive had many experiances where Im holding great cards, and I raise to say, 1.50 (6x BB), and everyone folds on me. Are you saying that it is better to simply win the blinds (0.35$ in my situation) sometimes then to let donks with bad hands see the flop and beat me out sometimes?

I beleive that this table didnt see a single preflop raise of over 1$ during the time I spent there prior to the hand. And anytime I tried, I got folds all around (this happened once or twice, I forget).

So is this table dependant, or I just gonna hold my breath and raise 6-10BB consistently with AA, KK, AK?

jacknine
09-26-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing wrong w/ value betting a pair of aces on the flop (especially after showing strength pre-flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep it simple. Get money in the pot preflop. Bet the flop and take the pot down right there. I'm perfectly happy to take 5 BB with my aces instead of creating a monster pot and facing tough decisions on the turn/river which only too often will have me pull my hair out.

Some might argue that you're denying yourself money by making this play - but the great thing is you can do it with a lot weaker hands too.

10-01-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that it is better to simply win the blinds (0.35$ in my situation) sometimes then to let donks with bad hands see the flop and beat me out sometimes?

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding

whittiphil
10-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Think about it this way.

When you get dealt AA, you know that your most likely way to end the hand is with a pair. A high pair is a huge hand preflop, a good hand on the flop, an ok hand on the turn, and a worse hand on the river.

You want to get your money in earlier, when your hand is the best. If you let it get to the river, the chances are much higher that your opponent has 2 pair, set, straight or flush because you let him have more cards with which to make his hand, while those hands are very unlikely to help you.

Don't slowplay AA, you have to be able to let it go when it fails, and most people aren't good enough.