PDA

View Full Version : OOT - be the jury.

CardSharpCook
09-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Inspired by "is my friend a douche" thread, I'd love to get an opinion on this and it makes a pretty good story so I'll try to tell it well.

Background: Back in college I was a bit of a pothead. My friend, Pat and I were roommates on campus. The Residence Hall Director was convinced that above and beyond being potheads, we were the source of all evil and misdoings in her building. So, one day she was investigating an act of vandalism (which, coincidently we were actually guilty of) and illegally enters our room just as we were putting the bong away. A quick search reveals a giant university floor fan (stolen when they were drying the carpets), a bottle of vodka, and paraphrenalia (ironically, we had just finished the last of our weed). So she gets us kicked off campus.

Now, in my youth I did not take this well. 2 months later, during winter break, I drive over to campus and put a rock through her back window. Obviously not smart. I regret it deeply today, but I did it.

The problem is that I tell my roommate and a girl who is staying with us what I did. This girl, Nicole, later tells her boyfriend, but that's ok, because he is "one of us". Or so we thought. He gets caught for vandalism 5 months later and coughs up my name to help reduce his punishment.

This time I get expeled, but not before we mount a brilliant defense which included some pretty good lies told by my roommate. He really stepped up to the plate, though it didn't work out. Nicole's testimony sunk me.

So, about 12 months after the intial incident and 3 months after my expulsion we find a message on our answering machine from Nicole asking to pick up her Playstation. This is news to me, but apparently she had left her playstation at our house during the summer. Now I hold no ill will toward this girl. I was guilty and got caught. But Pat absolutely hates her now. Since she left the PS with Pat, not me, it is his decision, but I tell him repeatedly to give it back. I go home for Xmas, and I get a call from Pat telling me that Nicole has filed in small claims court suing Pat for $150. My response is, "this is silly, Pat. Just give her the PS back!" He rejects this idea and decides to destroy the PS to prevent her from getting a search warrant (he's a paranoid Fcuk). Ok, so he's going to trial.

During this time, I am still telling him to just pay her back, but he says he won't. He then asks me to lie at his trial. I reply quickly and easily, "fcuk no, man! You STOLE her PS!! Just pay her back!" Well, he accepts this, but this has become a wrench in our friendship.

A week before the trial, his GF, who is living in our house and is a dear friend of mine as well, comes up to me and tells me, "Pat's really disappointed in you! He got up in front of the college discipline board and lied for you putting his own education on the line. He needs your help now!" etc, etc.

OOT what is your play, what are your thoughts?

Also, let me add this. The original incident that got us kicked off campus - when she caught us, I quickly and easily told the lie "Pat doesn't smoke anymore. He quit last year. this is all my stuff." This was successful in getting most of the punishment placed on me, but he was still guilty of having stolen university property in his room and allowing smoking/drinking to take place in his room, and we both got kicked off. So I have stood up for him before, have lied for him before, but I don't want to here because it hurts an innocent girl. That, to me, seems very wrong.

Also, this is all five years in the past, but I am curious of your verdict.

trying2learn
09-25-2005, 03:12 PM
personally...i'd like to see the cliff's notes gimmick account show up for this one.

Clarkmeister
09-25-2005, 03:13 PM
It's immature but no way in hell am I giving that chick her playstation back.

jakethebake
09-25-2005, 03:14 PM
tl;dr

Eurotrash
09-25-2005, 03:17 PM
it was probably stupid to tell a girl, because you know they can't keep their mouths shut. that said, it was still shitty of her to tell her boyfriend and even shittier of him to rat you out.

I can't fault the guy for withholding the playstation. I'd probably find a way to get back at the boyfriend as well though.

NLSoldier
09-25-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

beta1607
09-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Get new friends.

captZEEbo1
09-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Not giving back the PS is a total dick move, but so is breaking the window of an RD who was just doing her job...it didn't really sound like she had it OUT to get you, but rather you guys were just assholes.

I can see it from your friend's perspective like "I help you out with something much bigger" (which it was) "and you can't help me for a measly playstation?" However, there's no reason to not give the PS back that I can tell. Is he mad that you and PS chick are still on good terms?

Toro
09-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Dump your friend and start hanging out with some better people. Sounds like your life could use some upgrading.

2+2 wannabe
09-25-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

her bf sold you out - and she did as well

there's no way she's getting that PS back - I don't even know why you'd want to talk to her still

you help your friend, and it's not close

how is she suing for 150? isn't a PS like 20 bucks? and after depreciation even less - and why the hell would she sue anyways? she sounds like a super bitch

CardSharpCook
09-25-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is he mad that you and PS chick are still on good terms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember this is all in the past. We weren't on "good terms", but we weren't on bad terms either. From the time that we found out that Nicole and her BF Dan had ratted me out, the only time I had seen eithr of them was at the trial in which I got expelled. I merely held no ill-will toward this girl. She was a good girl. Her boyfriend coughs up my name, but says, "well, I don't *know* CSC did it, but that is what my GF told me." So she gets called in and confirms that yes, I did it.

(Ironically, Nicole was a stripper/college student, but also the most *normal* of all of us. She just had "daddy" issues that lead to her stripping.)

jakethebake
09-25-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Ironically, Nicole was a stripper/college student, but also the most *normal* of all of us. She just had "daddy" issues that lead to her stripping.)

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

STLantny
09-25-2005, 03:40 PM
I think yuo should help him out, this is all basically your fault because you let it slip. Never tell anyone when you commit a crime, and NEVER EVER tell anything of importance to a girl, ecspecially one that strips for a living.

Eurotrash
09-25-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Her boyfriend coughs up my name, but says, "well, I don't *know* CSC did it, but that is what my GF told me." So she gets called in and confirms that yes, I did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that's really gay. how is it that you held no ill will for this kind of thing?

2+2 wannabe
09-25-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think yuo should help him out, this is all basically your fault because you let it slip. Never tell anyone when you commit a crime, and NEVER EVER tell anything of importance to a girl, ecspecially one that strips for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is awesome advice, especially the bolded part

telling girls anything is a bad idea

2+2 wannabe
09-25-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wow, that's really gay. how is it that you held no ill will for this kind of thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

cause she's a stripper with "daddy" issues - whatever the hell those are

CardSharpCook
09-25-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Her father was a white Georgia judge and her mother was, I believe, Japanese. Now a white man from Georgia who becomes judge and marries a woman from a culture where women are generally submissive probably has some issues with women. In this case it was certainly true. Though neither Pat nor I ever directly asked, she mention issues with her father which lead us to believe either child abuse or sexual abuse. When she got to college, to help pay tuition, she works as a cocktail waitress at the Gold Club. She didn't have to strip in this job, but she would come home with several hundred and tell us that the strippers were making 3-4 times that. It didn't take too long for her to do the same. OTOH, she was a normal girl in that, she was the only one of us who rarely did drugs (the rest of us were daily users of whatever) and she was studying bio-chemistry and she was just much more *normal* aside for her job.

CardSharpCook
09-25-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how is it that you held no ill will for this kind of thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I saw it was that my horrible actions put her in a bad situation. I thought Dan was a POS, but I spoke to him about it a year later and he basically felt trapped. They told him that they "knew" that I did it, and if he didn't tell them something about one of the 6 unsolved cases they had, he would be expelled. So he gives up the piece of info which is merely heresay and that they "know" anyway. It's really shitty of him, and speaks to his character, but he was young and scared. He came to regret it later.

Hermlord
09-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Cut the Playstation down the center, and each of you gets half.

I'll bill you later.

oddjob
09-25-2005, 04:32 PM
you all sound like douchebags.

miajag81
09-25-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CardSharpCook
09-25-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We were young and in college. The friends I had in college were some of the finest people I ever knew. This incident is so stupid and silly, but it wound up costing me two treasured friendships (my roommate Pat and his GF). I agreed to testify, but did so in a very lame way - trying not to lie, but to stretch the truth in a way favorable to Pat. It didn't work well. He blamed me for losing the case, we had a fight in the parking garage of the courthouse and it was effectively the end of our friendship.

The university had violated their operating procedures in expelling me, I appealed, got it looked at by a new official who looked at the evidence which included a signed confession by another friend of mine (a friend who was no longer in school, but willing to say that he did it). I got off and graduated. Senior year was very lonely, but I sobered up, have been sober since (4+ years).

Anyway, this was all 5 years ago, but certainly high amoung my life's regrets. Thanks for the replies.

The Armchair
09-25-2005, 05:19 PM
You should have advised your friend Pat to counterclaim for 15 months of stewarding the PS.

TheBlueMonster
09-25-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

her bf sold you out - and she did as well

there's no way she's getting that PS back - I don't even know why you'd want to talk to her still

you help your friend, and it's not close

how is she suing for 150? isn't a PS like 20 bucks? and after depreciation even less - and why the hell would she sue anyways? she sounds like a super bitch

[/ QUOTE ]
throw it in a river. Does she have evidence that she asked you to take care to it? or that it was even in your place?

pokerdirty
09-25-2005, 05:49 PM
take a dump inside the playstation and give it back.

send_the_msg
09-25-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
take a dump inside the playstation and give it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

god damn you bastards crack me up

oddjob
09-25-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The friends I had in college were some of the finest people I ever knew.

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to meet more people. they sound like the people i avoid.