PDA

View Full Version : Too agressive with trips?

incognito
05-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Online $1/$2. I'm in the cutoff with 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif. 4 limpers to me, I limp, button folds, small blind completes, big blind checks. 7 to the flop.

The flop comes 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. Checked to me and I bet. Two callers, UTG (a fairly loose player) and UTG+2 (a relative unknown).

The turn comes Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif. UTG bets out, UTG+2 calls, I raise, UTG reraises, UTG+2 folds, I cap, UTG calls. Now, was this too agressive? I don't think so. I've got trips and just picked up a flush draw, too. Although if I'm beat now he's got a full house so the flush draw doesn't matter a whole lot.

The river comes 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. He bets, I raise, he reraises, I cap. Too agressive here? Obviously he thinks he has me beat...

incognito
05-12-2003, 06:13 PM
My opponent has T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 : diamond: for the flopped full house.

In retrospect, I should probably have slowed down at some point. On the turn, I'm behind to A7, which is a reasonable thing to expect a loose limper to have (if it's suited). I'm also behind Q7 and T7, which didn't even cross my mind. On the river, I'm also behind an A high flush, so I probably could have avoided at least the last raise.

Louie Landale
05-12-2003, 06:20 PM
You seem to forget that there is little difference between your set of 7s with a K and a flush. Since UTG obvious has no flush draw, the only hand your flush can beat that your K7 cannot is A7. If he can beat K7 and doesn't have A7, then he has a full house. So, your flush draw isn't worth much once he asserts himself on the turn.

With a pair on board most people, with good justification, will be conserned about a set when someone raises. Therefore you should be VERY suspicous UTG can beat a set when he 3-bets the turn. Now there ARE some boarderline maniacs who warrent 4-betting with your set, especially since you have a K, but there really aren't that many.

I'd have called the turn 3-bet and paid it off unless I snagged a K or 7 on the river.

- Louie

AceHigh
05-12-2003, 06:34 PM
When it gets capped on the turn and my opponent bets out on the river again, I usually slow down. Unless I know the other player fairly well. I told him he was beat a couple times and he didn't believe me, maybe he's not beat. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif