PDA

View Full Version : Outplayed?

offTopic
05-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Interesting session of 3-6. Nemesis on my immediate left.

i) I raise with Js Jh, N 3-bets, BB calls
Flop: Ac Td Kc
BB leads out - now what?

ii) I open-raise on the button with Ah 8d, N calls
Flop: Ad 5d Ts - check-bet-call
Turn: 6h - I get checkraised - now what?

iii) I open-raise with Ah Qd, N 3-bets, MP cold-calls 3, SB cold-calls, I call.
Flop: Ad Js 6c - I bet and get raised, it's heads up.
Turn: Ac - Now what?

iv) I open-raise with Ad Jd, N 3-bets, all fold and I call
Flop: Ah Kd Js - what do you think here?

Seat change?!?!

MtSmalls
05-12-2003, 06:00 PM
I take it from the post you lost all of these hands, but here's how I would have played in your position (with the benefit of time to think at my leisure...)

1> Call the flop unless you are POSITIVE Nemesis is going to raise again. You're getting 10-1 right now (at least) enough to look for another J or Q

2> If my math is right there are 4.5 BB in the pot to you. Call it 4-1 with the rake etc. Where is he at? A-x?, 5-6? T-Xs? You're probably behind, and I'd dump it.

3> I'd probably re-raise on the flop, but since you didn't and the second A comes on the turn, completely uncoordinated board, I would go for the check-raise. Time to drop the hammer....

4>Much like three, I'd set him up for a check-raise on the turn by check-calling on the flop. Are you afraid of A-K or AA? Don't look for too many monsters under the bed...

Vehn
05-12-2003, 06:11 PM
i) Easy easy fold on the flop.
ii) This is why I like to check the turn a lot here against a good opponent.
iii) bet/raise/etc.

Louie Landale
05-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Get across the table from your Nemesis where you will play the fewest hands against each other.

i. You are barely getting the right odds (10:1) to try to snag a Q or J even if you [1] knew it would always win [2] knew it would never tie, and [3] knew Nemesis was NOT going to raise. I don't think your implied odds make up for those disadvantages. Call if it would close the action, fold against the LIKELY raise behind you.

ii. Judging by the way he played his other hands, I'd say he flopped big, is slow playing, and you are drawing slim to dead. Fold unless he's REAL assertive with weak draws.

iii. Do not fold. Either bet or check-and-call depending on whether he'll call with more hands or bet (bluff) with more hands. If he's as assertive as he looks, I'd check-and-call "reluctantly".

iv. He seems to be very assertive. Bet into him figuring to call the raise and check-raise the turn.

- Louie

offTopic
05-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the replies so far:

i) I raise with Js Jh, N 3-bets, BB calls
Flop: Ac Td Kc
BB leads out

I felt that N's raise was inevitable, and didn't want to get stuck potentially drawing for a chop. As Louie suggested, I'd peel here if I closed the action, but in this case, I folded. N folded as well (99? 88?)

ii) I open-raise on the button with Ah 8d, N calls
Flop: Ad 5d Ts - check-bet-call
Turn: 6h - I get checkraised

This, I felt was the toughest hand. He doesn't have AT+, because he would have almost certainly 3-bet to get it heads-up preflop. He might have a set, but I thought he'd likely bet out to get me to raise and then checkraise the turn. Two pair is also a possibility, or he just might have an A and think I'm full of it. I grit my teeth and call. River is an offsuit 8...I raise his bet and he calls. N had A9o - it's a game of inches.

iii) I open-raise with Ah Qd, N 3-bets, MP cold-calls 3, SB cold-calls, I call.
Flop: Ad Js 6c - I bet and get raised, it's heads up.
Turn: Ac

I might have been overly pessimistic, but I really felt I was at best chopping here - I check called turn and the rag on the river. N had AKo and took it down.

iv) I open-raise with Ad Jd, N 3-bets, all fold and I call
Flop: Ah Kd Js

I was very much thinking (after the prior hand) "He can't always have it, can he?" and check-called flop. Turn was the 3d, giving me two pair and the nut flush draw. I checkraised N, and he folded.

I don't actually change seats much when I play live, the games are usually good enough where it's not a big consideration - since this was online, the option never presented itself, but I wouldn't have minded having half a table of people between us to get some extra money in these pots (assuming those people in the middle don't suck out /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )