PDA

View Full Version : USC's Odds of winning the BCS Championship

09-25-2005, 10:31 AM
I have a friend that wants to buy USC at 47 on tradesports to win the BCS championship. For those of you who don't know tradesports, what he's saying in that bet is that he believes the odds of them winning it all are higher than 47%. I disagree with him, and I wanted to see what you guys thought. At first glance, you may look at that number like he did and think that's a lock, but when you look at all the component factors and really assess the odds, it seems overvalued to me. Here is my thinking:

if usc loses one of their 3 remaining reg season "tough games"... (at ASU, at ND, and at Cal Bears), they can still win the championship obviously. if they lose 2 of those, they're all but done. And this is assuming they win all the other regular season games, which admittedly is a fair assumption but not a lock.

In any event, you have 3 tough road games against good ranked teams there plus a tough bowl game at the end of the year.

That's four tough games. They need to win 3 of them to have a chance at winning the championship, right? In fact, they probably have to win that last bowl game to win the championship, regardless of whether they lose a game or not in the regular season. So let's just look at those 3 tough remaining road games in the regular season for now.

Based on right now, what would the line be on, say, USC at Notre Dame right now? Maybe USC by 7.5 or 8? Would it be fair to assume that the average line in each of those 4 games might be USC by 10? They're all road games against legit top 25 teams. Road games in college give a bigger discount on favorites than they do in the pros. Look at how FSU was only spotting BC 2 points last week. I can't see the trojans averaging much more than a 10 point advantage in the betting lines. A touchdown is usually a 2-1 money line roughly. Let's say the average line is 10, and so we'll assume USC is an average of 80% to win each of those 3 regular season tough road games. That is fair, right? Those aren't gimme games.

So based on that estimate, the odds of them winning all 3 of those games are 0.8 x 0.8 x 0.8 =0.512. So basically they're even money to run the table in those 3 games. Fine.

Now you have to factor in the possibility of them blowing one of their other remaining reg season games:

arizona
at wash
wash st.
stanford
fresno state
UCLA (a top 25 team)

Can we assume they have about a 93% chance of winning in each of those games? UCLA almost beat them last year and should have. Anything can happen. 93% is pretty fair. If we agree to that, that means their odds of winning all 6 are about 65%. so over a 1 in 3 shot at blowing one of those games.

Then we have whoever they get in the championship bowl game (assuming they get there). Good chance it will be the second best team in the country, right? So their odds in that game might be 80% (like those other tough games). Remember, a touchdown favorite is usually about 66% to win. So you have maybe a 1 in 5 chance of them losing that final game.

Now you have to look at the possibility of either Leinart, Bush, or any other key player of combination of players getting hurt. In a contact sport like football, injuries are not only a possibility but a reality. You have to factor that into the cost of buying USC to win the championship, and it's an important and real factor. Every football team has to deal with injuries. Often it's to replaceable linemen and special teams types, but it can just as easily be one of your studs. Just because it didn't happen last year doesn't mean it cant happen this year.

Am I saying they dont have a much better chance than any one team of winning? Of course not. Am I saying they're not a great football team? Of course not.

I just don't see how, given all these possibilities for problems, you can conclude after the 3rd game that they're basically even money to win the championship. You have a lot of obstacles to overcome to reach that (namely the possibility of injuries and getting upset more than once).

If i had to take a side on this trade, I'd be inclined to sell them at even money, not buy them. If you're long, you need virtually everything to go perfectly. All I need is one or two of a long list of potential problems to occur. The owners of those contracts are the ones sweating, not the shorts. If you sell those contracts, you're betting that any one or two out of a long list of potential low-odds problems comes to fruition. When you have 15-25 potential things that can go wrong, each of which has maybe anywhere from a 2-20% chance of actually happening, and you can only survive one at most happening, you should be getting more than even money on your wager. Right or wrong?

If you want to bet on them winning the championship, that is fine, but i can almost be certain that there are better value ways to get to that than basically only getting even money on that now. You'd be better off taking a nominal amount of money and betting it every week on USC on the money line and compounding it, wouldn't you? You'd only need to bet it on the tough games. Why even bother risking a huge amount to win tiny on those easy games? That's like bending over the train tracks to pick up a penny.

If you sold those contracts, you could hedge (and probably lock in a free option) by making a series of bets ON USC after the fact.

What are your thoughts?

flatline
09-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Not much to add, really. Your analysis is good, and I would definately take an even money bet against USC winning the BCS this year, even though they are obviously the single team with the best shot at it.

MyTurn2Raise
09-25-2005, 08:27 PM
1 problem....even with a regular season loss, there is still quite a chance that USC will make the title game. I don't think many teams have a real shot at going undefeated. I'd be real surprised if more than one team, other than USC, does. Of teams with one loss, USC would be a favorite based on recent history, preseason rankings, talent opinions, etc.

09-25-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now you have to factor in the possibility of them blowing one of their other remaining reg season games:

arizona
at wash
wash st.
stanford
fresno state
UCLA (a top 25 team)

Can we assume they have about a 93% chance of winning in each of those games? UCLA almost beat them last year and should have. Anything can happen. 93% is pretty fair. If we agree to that, that means their odds of winning all 6 are about 65%. so over a 1 in 3 shot at blowing one of those games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put the average at around 98%, so just over 10% chance they'll lose one of those games.

I'd say that 50-50 would be a fair bet on USC.

scalf
09-25-2005, 08:34 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif betting against usc in this situation is kinda like betting against tiger woods in major; when he is playing well ; and/or leading the last day...

mathematically, it's hard to justify a wager on one team, or tiger, when either the field might get hot and/or tiger / trojans might falter...

but hey noone is gonna beat the usc trojans this year, but if they do falter in one road g; i think they have an excellent chance of being in the championship g anyhoo: really usc has the highest cfb rating i have ever seen; and many power ratings have usc at/near their all time highest

gl

i'm betting usc

gl

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MCS
09-25-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd put the average at around 98%, so just over 10% chance they'll lose one of those games.

I'd say that 50-50 would be a fair bet on USC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you also think the other part of his analysis is wrong? It seems you have to challenge the "80%" assumption too in order for you to conclude USC has a 50/50 shot.

I personally think 47 is too expensive, but not by a ton.