PDA

View Full Version : KK on Ace-high board

ElSapo
05-12-2003, 04:53 PM
I post in the CO and get KK. EP raises, folded to me and I re-raise, only the BB calls, EP caps it, BB and I both call. Three to the flop.

Flop comes A-rag-rag. EP bets, I raise, BB calls two and EP calls. Turn is another rag of little consequence.

Here's where it gets interetsing. EP checks, I think a moment and check as well, now the BB jumps in and bets. EP calls, and I fold.

I couldn't figure the EP or BB play. Only so many hands will cap a flop, I think, and most I can think of include an ace. BB has been calling along and now he bets out. A weak ace? I thought EP might be looking for a check-raise also.

Anyone else fold here, or do you try and call it down against 2 opponents?

Thanks.. ElSapo

ElSapo
05-12-2003, 04:57 PM
EP had QQ and took it down against the SB's small pocket pair. I hate the result of this hand, and can't stop thinking about it. But I also think I may have played it right. Heads up, I think it's easier to call down EP, especially after he checks to me. But with the BB in there, and a capped pre-flop, I figure I'm beat. Only I wasn't. No clue what the BB was thinking. I think he had 55.

Tyler Durden
05-12-2003, 05:25 PM
It's hard to figure this one out b/c it seems there's a mistake in the way you wrote the turn action. You wrote that the BB bet after EP and you checked. Could you clarify? And I'd be happy to post some thoughts.

ElSapo
05-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Went back and looked at this hand - - originally did this from memory. Disregard first post. Correction is on 4th street, checked around.

I post in the CO and get KK. EP raises, folded to me and I re-raise, only the BB calls, EP caps it, BB and I both call. Three to the flop.

Flop comes A-rag-rag. EP bets, I raise, BB calls two and EP calls. Turn is another rag of little consequence.

Here's where it gets interetsing. EP checks, I think a moment and check as well, BB checks.

River rag, BB bets, EP calls and I fold.

I couldn't figure the EP or BB play. Only so many hands will cap a flop, I think, and most I can think of include an ace. A weak ace? I thought EP might be looking for a check-raise also.

Anyone else fold here, or do you try and call it down against 2 opponents?

Thanks.. ElSapo

ElSapo
05-12-2003, 05:36 PM
You are right, sorry. Did from memory first. Corrected hand should be right.

DaNoob
05-12-2003, 06:21 PM
By my calculations there should have been 9+BB in the pot. For this amount, and knowing that I close the betting, I call here with KK. U only have to be right 1/9 times to be correct in doing so, not to mention the frustration and mental torment u go thru when something like this happens.

If it makes u feel any better, I did something similar yesterday and didn't sleep well last night as a result...

ResidentParanoid
05-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Are you still playing Party 0.5/1?

When it's capped, I'm figuring AA, KK, QQ, maybe JJ. A few will cap with AK or worse. I don't like BB being in there, calling 2 preflop maybe with A5 or something like that. I like your raise on the flop here: Get some information and go from there. I probably bet on the turn if I'm not re-raised on the flop. I probably let it check through on the river if BB is still there.

If you have a more aggressive player at your table (more aggressive than a typical 0.5/1 player) who will cap with stuff like AQ or AJ, then take note and you have to play tough against that opponent. Make sure you have position, a hand and/or some outs to the nuts against such players. Your not making much money from these guys at 0.5/1. Your making most of your money from the guy in the BB.

When you have a hand like KK that flops an A, think about how many people saw the flop with you. You're not in a good situation, but typically, if you had several players calling at least 2 behind your raise, then I would let it go on the flop. Usually I let a hand like this go on the flop, or take it to a showdown. Waiting for the river to lay it down is usually bad.

Bob T.
05-14-2003, 11:08 AM
It is so hard to figure out how to play this hand, when your description of the betting isn't quite clear.

On the turn, EP checks, then you check, and then the BB bets. The Big blind should have acted before you and the EP player. How can he bet on the turn? or did you check throught the turn, and he bet on the river?

It seems likely that EP is on a pocket pair, smaller than yours, so if this betting occured on the river, then I would probably call, closing the action, although I expect to lose most of the time. If the BB bet out on the turn, I think that I will fold, rather than call two more bets, to see the showdown.

Bob T.
05-14-2003, 11:25 AM
I just read your correction.

In that, on the turn, you have EP, acting first, you act second, and the BB checks behind. Then on the river the BB acts first.

Clearly, you aren't paying enough attention to how position works in your game, or you would be able to describe the action of the various positions accurately. So, your assignment for the next couple of sessions, is pay very close to position, because I think right now, one of your leaks, is that you are disregarding position, and playing cards regardless of your own position.

Now on the hand in question, I would definately have called on the river, closing the action. I don't know what the BB has. Based on your description of the hand, I thought that EP might have had JJ, or QQ, and you were ahead of him. If he had, AK, and was aggressive enough to 4 bet preflop with it, he would probably either three bet the flop, or lead out again on the turn.

I don't know or have an idea what the BB has, he could have had a hand with an Ace in it, or maybe he has a pocket pair, I am just going to call and figure it out when I see his hand.