PDA

View Full Version : Should I allways potsize bet TPTK ?

MobbDeep
09-25-2005, 07:06 AM
If I raise 4xBB with AK and get 1 caller.
Flop is K49 rainbow.
Should I allways bet here?
Same if I have AA with the same flop.
When should I try to trap the other guy?

I've tried to slowplay sometimes with a set and sometimes it works but sometimes the other guy catches some miracle backdoor flushdraw and u get so angry for not getting him to fold earlier.
Is this just bad luck or should I allways make a potsize bet when I have a good hand?
Should I allways show that im strong?
It feels like im not getting much on my good hands, I usually just pick it up on the flop.
And when they do call a potsize/raise bet im usually beat and might loose big.
I understand that I should bet when there is possible draws but when there isnt? what to do?

Here is an example:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

SB ($72.15)
BB ($50)
UTG ($49.25)
UTG+1 ($64.75)
Hero ($48.25)
MP1 ($42.13)
MP2 ($155.72)
MP3 ($34.11)
CO ($35.60)
Button ($112.71)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP1 calls $2, MP2 calls $2, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8.75) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $6, UTG+1 folds.

Here I was thinking that I dont want everyone to fold, but i dont know what hands that actually stays in here. Does it matter if I bet 6 or 8?

Turn: ($20.75) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Great, he calls and I complete my boat!
I check to show that im weak.

River: ($20.75) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $35.25 (All-In), MP2 calls $20.25.

I dont know what he has, was he drawing on flop with AK?
I bet small to get him to call with some crap and maybe he really has AK so he will raise my weak bet and I can go allin.

Final Pot: $101.25

Hero has Qh Qs (full house, queens full of fours).
MP2 has Kh Ah (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins $101.25.

So this one worked out perfect, BUT what if he catches the ten on turn, and I dont complete my boat, then I will probobly loose my stack.
So again, should I slowplay like this?
Is it just bad luck if he catches and I loose? or did I just play it bad?

I feel that if I play it agressive and loose I dont get mad at myself, I did what I could to take down the pot, but if I slowplay something good and loose to some stupid backdoor I get so mad...
Should I just suck it in and say BAD LUCK! to myself?

FlyingStart
09-25-2005, 12:22 PM
After reading this forum I always bet out or in position with AK when the flop came something like K95r. But as you say, you either pick up the pot or lose a big one. Lately I've had some success with checing these types of flop, sometimes even turn. and then make an extra bet on turn or river.

Isn't this a typical WA/WB situation? The downside as I see it is that your continuation bets will look weird if the other players often see you trap with TPTK

yvesaint
09-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Bet more on the river. At least $10. You'd feel like a complete idiot if he flat called with something like AQ. Anyone that calls $5 is going to call at least half pot.