PDA

View Full Version : too aggressive here???

Schmed
05-12-2003, 03:47 PM
6-12

I have k /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif in a MP

2 ep's call, I call, 2 more callers, both blinds play. 7 players for 6 bucks each

Flop

2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif k /forums/images/icons/club.gif

bb bets, one EP calls the other folds, I call, button calls.

flop

9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

BB bets, EP calls, I call.

river

10 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

BB bets, EP raises, I reraise, BB folds, EP reraises me, I call

BB shows down A7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Thoughts.

I had thought about a semi bluff raise on the flop but figured I wanted to keep callers.

Really this hand all comes down to my river raise and call. I don't look back and think the raise was all that horrible but the call probably was. I know that player and I knew when he reraised me he had the A hi flush but for some reason I called him down. Stupidity I guess.

Homer
05-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Preflop - Fine in a loose-passive game.

Flop - Raise. You have what is likely the best hand AND the best draw. Get some money into the pot with the best of it. Raising here would not be a semi-bluff. It would be with what is likely the best hand, and even if it isn't the raise is still for value.

Turn - Please raise. You definitely have the best hand now and you have a redraw to the second nut flush. You're costing yourself a lot of big bets by just calling along.

River - Re-raising the river is fine. You likely have the best flush. If EP has the nut flush, so be it. I agree with just calling the four-bet (I don't even know if you had the option to keep raising since it became heads-up).

-- Homer

Bob T.
05-12-2003, 03:59 PM
The heading is 'Too aggressive here?'.

The player flops top pair, second nut flush draw, and calls the flop after one other player has already called. I thought that I was missing something.

OK, Raise the flop, if it gets reraised make it four bets.

Turn, you have top two, and the second nut flush draw. Raise the turn. If you get reraised, then you can consider slowing down.

River. I think that three bet was OK, when your RHO raised he probably has a flush, you could have called, and tried to get an overcall, or if you don't think that you would get the overcall, you could try raising. When your opponent four bets you, you are probably behind, but you have to call the last bet anyway, just in case.

Schmed
05-12-2003, 04:17 PM
as I know I didn't have two pair on the turn. Whatever the turn card it didn't matter to me ....recalling as correctly as I can.... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I figured I didn't want to raise on the flop because I wanted to keep callers. The bb said after the hand that he had KQ.....take that for what it's worth....

I really was curious about the call on to him reraising me. I know the player and I thought I really could have saved myself 24 bucks by not raising and at least 12 by not calling. I was thinking at the time..." I know this player only raises with a top hand let's see if he has the q hi flush"........he reraised and I knew in my mind that he had that A.......I guess I'm just kicking myself looking for a justification to make that call.... against anyone else it would have been a no brainer but really I guess this is where I should have used my knowledge about a player to just call him down.

Another topic that has been running around my head is playing against passive players. That what seems to be the norm for me lately. They are easy to win from but it's so hard to know where they are at.......

Mangatang
05-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Hey Schmed.

Where are you playing Hold'em in New Orleans? Harrah's? All I ever see around here is Omaha, sometimes 1/2 Omaha 1/2 Hold'em. I still haven't figured out why no one plays Hold'em around here.

Later.

Schmed
05-12-2003, 05:14 PM
they have a 6-12 game they spread on the weekends. Lately they have been playing all kinds of holdm because the jackpot was up to 46k. Heck they were even playing 15-30 half and half and usually had 2 or 3 3-6 games. It's an Omaha room really. People like Omaha hi because they have more cards to look at so they can justify action. That really is the only reason I can come up with. Heck I wish they would just spread the hi lo omaha. I'm always on that interest list and I'm always starting up a 6-12 interest list.

Schmed
05-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Would it have been okay to call with that hand in that position if it were there was a legit raise preflop?? For the record I would have still made the call. My philosophy would have been that I have a strong flush draw with outside straight cards and one of them is the K. What about if the raiser is in a LP? When calling an LP raise I would have odds on my call wouldn't I?

Knowing that I didn't have two pair on the turn was the turn call bad? (You can bet if I had two pair I would have raised).

Thanks for the responses all.....

Louie Landale
05-12-2003, 06:48 PM
Except for your very first call and your very last call (which were both marginal), I don't think you could have played this hand any worse than you did.

Gamble with your top-pair-great draw: you don't have to, but be willing to cap the flop.

Gamble with your top-two-pair-great-draw on the turn. You don't have to, but be willing to cap the turn. What on earth are you waiting for?

Looks like you should go for the over-call on the river. No, it was the river raise that was horrible, not the final call. Find the "Going for the overcall" chapter or essay by the authors.

- Louie

PS. Gambling with your two-way hand on the flop is only a "disaster" when someone has your pair beat and the other has the A-flush draw. Compare that possibility with the possibility that you have both the best hand AND the best draw. On the turn you have to be up against a set AND the A-draw before you lose money with your raise.