PDA

View Full Version : NL Learning Experience

MtSmalls
05-12-2003, 02:51 PM
I have been playing several smaller NLHE tournaments on Stars, including this weekend's 100,000th Freeroll. I think there is still a ton for me to learn, but I am having problem with one concept in general, playing with less than an average stack. My final hand this weekend was a prime example:

About level 6 in the tournement, average stack is roughly 4000, I have just over 1000. Enough for a couple more orbits, but not much more than that. UTG, i see K-9 suited. I don't want to push all in being in early position, but frankly this is the best hand I've seen in the last four orbits. I call the BB (200 I think) and see the flop heads up. K-2-x, checked to me and I felt that with the antes and the blinds in the pot, I wanted to pick it up right there, and pushed all in. I'm quickly shown pocket 2's and IGHN. I know I should have passed on the hand before the flop, but felt that the blinds would eat 1/3 of my stack in the next two hands, and even doubling or tripling up after that wouldn't save me.

It might be somewhat results oriented, but looking back I think if I was going to commit to the hand pre-flop, with a significant potential for a raise behind me, I should have really committed and pushed in pre-flop. Most likely I pick up the blinds, keeping me afloat for another round. I'm too short stacked to just see if I catch a piece of the flop and then bet. I think my standard conservative play in limit cash games is too timid for NLHE of this type. I need to make a few more bets in the right places, raise more pre-flop with good hands, or at least when I have nothing (much) more to lose.

I think I finished 996th out of more than 2000 so I cant be too upset.

Comments much appreciated

ohkanada
05-12-2003, 02:59 PM
If the blinds are 100-200, then with a stack of 1000 and UTG with K9s, raising all-in is a fine option. Calling for 20% of your stack would be bad because you are likely to miss the flop and now you have a tough decision.

Once you chose to just call and you hit the flop, certainly bet all-in.

Ken Poklitar

Al_Capone_Junior
05-12-2003, 04:51 PM
When you're getting low on chips, and the blinds are pretty big, you need to be assertive. If you have a playable hand, you should consider making a big raise with it if you want to steal the blinds. Sometimes, this means going all-in. Limping with K9s UTG at a full table when you're the small stack is not being assertive, but then I guess you knew that. I would have probably folded, but if I had played that hand from there, I would have made an all-in raise. It's a situation where you don't want to be called, so make them not want to call.

You'll have to ditch the timid play to win at no limit.

al