PDA

View Full Version : smoking weed

joeblow500
09-25-2005, 03:44 AM
So here is my situation. I'm in my early 40's and haven't smoked weed on a regular basis in about 20 years. I enjoyed it back then, but my wife wasn't into it so I gave it up. I still drink more then I should and worry about the long term effects so I'm thinking of quitting drinking and taking up smoking weed again.

Of course I know I should quit both but I am not, so save your speech. My questions are these. How has weed changed in the last 20 years? How much can I expect to pay for an ounce? It was around $50 in my day. I live in a city where I don't know anyone who smokes. How do I go about buying it?

Dynasty
09-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Are you sure you're not already using? I wouldn't expect a 40 year old to ask a bunch of low-to-mid twenty somethings advice on life.

Jack of Arcades
09-25-2005, 03:46 AM
You mean the P.O.T.

MyTurn2Raise
09-25-2005, 03:47 AM
It's much more potent...or at least that's what Dr. Drew tells me

An oz for $50...no way ( I think even ragweed is double)
try an eigth for that much

don't know about locations (cuz I don't smoke...sorry)

jakethebake
09-25-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You mean teh P.O.T.

[/ QUOTE ]

dibbs
09-25-2005, 03:53 AM
On average it's incredibly more potent than it was 20 years ago, which I always heard and was seconded by some 40ish year olds who recently tried it after a hiatus.

It really depends where you're at, but 200-500$ an ounce is a valid range, depending on grade bla bla.

I would have no idea how to go about getting it, as asking strangers isn't the best of ideas.

I'm not going to comment on whether or not I feel it's a good idea for 40 year olds with families to choose this over drinking however, as it aint my business.

Blarg
09-25-2005, 04:13 AM
You sound like someone who usually needs something strong, like a new habit, to replace an old one. I can be that way sometimes. I can find it easy to drop an old bad habit if I take up a new bad habit. Or a new good one, too -- my obsessive nature generally lets me get so into something that I can forget things like bad habits almost accidentally, just never get round to them again. The bad habits drop if you're too busy to think about them and don't reinforce them constantly.

You're at the age where if you aren't starting to feel the beginnings of declines in things like strength, wind, and general health, you will soon enough. And you're also still very capable of getting much stronger and laying in a solid foundation of health so any things like bone loss, etc., don't start to just naturally happen and whittle away at you before you realize how much is gone.

I would get into something physically demanding, hopefully that you really enjoy. That will increase your health in a way you can feel daily, and give you goals and take up some leisure time. For some people, just exercising alone can do that, but most get bored and quit, so I'd suggest some kind of sport. Biking, tennis, rowing, martial arts, even hiking, whatever you like.

Both will give you stimulation during your leisure hours, and help you address health issues before they even become issues.

If you already exercise or play a sport somewhat seriously, then that advice wouldn't apply to you directly. But it carries over in that if you are looking to replace one habit with another because that seems to be the easiest way you know to get rid of a habit you have, you can still try to find a good new habit instead of a bad or neutral one.

I don't count pot as a truly bad habit, but think you could probably find something better.

None of this was meant as a criticism, by the way. And I hope it doesn't sound too jerky. What you do is none of my business and I don't disapprove of pot. It just seems there are more interesting experiments out there, especially for a 40-year-old guy who has already smoked pot before and isn't discovering anything new in it. I only mention it because your phrasing reminded me of the bad habits I had and how glad I was to get rid of them by finding another, which then became a problem of its own. I'll always have habits of one sort or another, and I'm a lot better off with good ones.

gmrankin
09-25-2005, 04:22 AM
I have been thinking about smoking pot again... Just got out of the military, and its been a while. Not really because i want to, but because i "can"... at least easier now than when i was in. Its still illegal, but the military will F-with you about doing stuff like that. Dont really know where to get it though. Wish they would legalize it.

send_the_msg
09-25-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You sound like someone who usually needs something strong, like a new habit, to replace an old one. I can be that way sometimes. I can find it easy to drop an old bad habit if I take up a new bad habit. Or a new good one, too -- my obsessive nature generally lets me get so into something that I can forget things like bad habits almost accidentally, just never get round to them again. The bad habits drop if you're too busy to think about them and don't reinforce them constantly.

You're at the age where if you aren't starting to feel the beginnings of declines in things like strength, wind, and general health, you will soon enough. And you're also still very capable of getting much stronger and laying in a solid foundation of health so any things like bone loss, etc., don't start to just naturally happen and whittle away at you before you realize how much is gone.

I would get into something physically demanding, hopefully that you really enjoy. That will increase your health in a way you can feel daily, and give you goals and take up some leisure time. For some people, just exercising alone can do that, but most get bored and quit, so I'd suggest some kind of sport. Biking, tennis, rowing, martial arts, even hiking, whatever you like.

Both will give you stimulation during your leisure hours, and help you address health issues before they even become issues.

If you already exercise or play a sport somewhat seriously, then that advice wouldn't apply to you directly. But it carries over in that if you are looking to replace one habit with another because that seems to be the easiest way you know to get rid of a habit you have, you can still try to find a good new habit instead of a bad or neutral one.

I don't count pot as a truly bad habit, but think you could probably find something better.

None of this was meant as a criticism, by the way. And I hope it doesn't sound too jerky. What you do is none of my business and I don't disapprove of pot. It just seems there are more interesting experiments out there, especially for a 40-year-old guy who has already smoked pot before and isn't discovering anything new in it. I only mention it because your phrasing reminded me of the bad habits I had and how glad I was to get rid of them by finding another, which then became a problem of its own. I'll always have habits of one sort or another, and I'm a lot better off with good ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

or just get [censored] ripped. you'll probably pay 300/o. just wait at the grocery store and watch for someone buying lots of plastic bags /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nubs
09-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Don't ever pay more than $350 for an ounce. Even if it is good stuff because you are being ripped off. Expect around $50 for an eighth. And from what I have heard it has gotten more potent. Procurement is a sticky situation for you though. Ask friends if they know of anyone. You will probably find out about a friend of a friend.... Or if you live in california you could get a prescription for your nagging back pain/insomnia /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

jokerthief
09-25-2005, 04:28 AM
First off, you are in your forties; good luck convincing people you're not a cop. Secondly, alcohol is a much easier high.

If you do want to smoke then smoke it out of a vaporizor. You can look for places to buy on the internet (it's very possible but very expensive). Take a vacation to holland and make a friend who will ship it to you. These are extreme measures but a forty year old will have problems getting a hook up. The best bet for continental hook ups is to find a good bar to become a regular of. Make some friends and you should have a hook up in no time. Go to bars that suit your age.

touchfaith
09-25-2005, 04:29 AM
just [censored] smoke it and stfu already

PokerBob
09-25-2005, 04:30 AM
heroine is a lot smoother and will kill you more quickly. go down that road.

send_the_msg
09-25-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First off, you are in your forties; good luck convincing people you're not a cop. Secondly, alcohol is a much easier high.

If you do want to smoke then smoke it out of a vaporizor. You can look for places to buy on the internet (it's very possible but very expensive). Take a vacation to holland and make a friend who will ship it to you. These are extreme measures but a forty year old will have problems getting a hook up. The best bet for continental hook ups is to find a good bar to become a regular of. Make some friends and you should have a hook up in no time. Go to bars that suit your age.

[/ QUOTE ]

you keep bringing up the age problem, but most of my friends parents smoke it and they are 45+. it's a "friend of a friend" business so just find a link to a dealer and you'll be fine. i agree on that vaporizer thing. my old roommate had one that i loved. very different high though.

Blarg
09-25-2005, 04:41 AM
Pot won't kill you and has never killed anyone in history.

jokerthief
09-25-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

you keep bringing up the age problem, but most of my friends parents smoke it and they are 45+. it's a "friend of a friend" business so just find a link to a dealer and you'll be fine. i agree on that vaporizer thing. my old roommate had one that i loved. very different high though.

[/ QUOTE ]

For most people age isn't an issue when they have maintained hookups. I can't imagine what it's like to try to make new connections when over forty. This conversation has given me the urge to reconnect just for the challenge of it. I won't though.

BradleyT
09-25-2005, 05:09 AM
I wouldn't try buying an ozer your first purchase from unknowns - that would throw up a big red flag if I were a dealer.

jokerthief
09-25-2005, 05:16 AM
Just so you know. 300-400 an ounce for kind bud. 50-100 for shwag. The variance depends where you live.

captZEEbo1
09-25-2005, 02:16 PM
How long does an oz last?

InchoateHand
09-25-2005, 02:21 PM
I love how kids think they somehow have a corner on the market. No, it get easier to find hookups as you are older.

I also love the people saying its "20 times" more effective than 20 years ago.

If that were true, than nobody got high 20 years ago.

I love it, potheads who believe "Just Say No" campaigns. Thats about the best advertisement against the stuff imaginable.

PokerBob
09-25-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you know? and smoke inhalation has led to many many deaths.

PITTM
09-25-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im a pretty huge stoner and an ounce would last me a month or more. thats smoking everyday/every other day.

rj

PITTM
09-25-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no one has ever died from having too much thc in their bloodstream. the first time i smoked i felt like i was gonna die because i managed to burn my throat so much. to die of smoke inhalation you would have to smoke continuously for a long time without taking breaths of oxygen. which is pretty much impossible and you would have to go really far out of your way to do such a thing.

rj

joeblow500
09-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Do they still make "one hitters"?

PokerBob
09-25-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no one has ever died from having too much thc in their bloodstream. the first time i smoked i felt like i was gonna die because i managed to burn my throat so much. to die of smoke inhalation you would have to smoke continuously for a long time without taking breaths of oxygen. which is pretty much impossible and you would have to go really far out of your way to do such a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right. imo weed is a benign drug, it is the delivery of said drug that causes the problem.

benza13
09-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Yep, one-hitters are still very common, any smoke shop should have a good selection.

Felix_Nietsche
09-25-2005, 03:16 PM
The Price Varies
Swagg (aka cheap weed) = $20 per .25oz
Premo = $100 per .125oz

In the black areas in my city you can find it pretty easily but if you're white they often won't sell it to you because they are afraid you may be a cop. If you don't know anyone I'd go to a few bars and establish a rapport with one of the waitresses who is 25ish. After about 3 visits and she knows your name you can try to broach the subject. Be prepared to be rejected. Another technique is to find a homeless guy panhandling for money and tell him you give him $50 if he can hook you up with some weed. This is a win-win situation. He gets booze money and you get weed. Just DON'T fall for the scam where you give him money and he'll go buy it for you. You will never see your money again!

InchoateHand
09-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Where can I get this Swagg? Will he swab my decks?

You offer the homeless guys 50 bucks? Sure, I haven't pulled that routine since I was 12, but fifty bucks? i think you are getting taken advantage of either way.

Silly conservatives---this is fiscal responsiblity?

Felix_Nietsche
09-25-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't have to pay a finder fee to get weed. So I don't have this problem. The OP does...

When you ask a stranger to hook you up, they're taking a risk that you might be a cop. I wouldn't risk jail for $50 but there are some people who do. If he can get them to risk jail for less than $50 then more power to him.

Bradyams
09-25-2005, 03:44 PM
If you have teenagers...ask them. You may even get a discount since you're family. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

STLantny
09-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Tell us where you live, then maybe one of us could hook you up...hehe

Malachii
09-25-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
An average bowl is between .1 and .2 grams. There are 28 grams in an ounce. Depends on how many friends you're smoking with and if they have stuff of their own, of course, but I don't know anybody that isn't a serious addict that would smoke more than a bowl or two by themselves.

Also, to answer the OP's question, it really depends on where you're living. I haven't smoked in several monthes, but I wouldn't pay more than 50 for an eighth in California unless it's medical quality stuff. I would advise buying yourself a digital scale (they're quite cheap, like 20$) so that you can weigh it out when you buy and don't have to rely on your dealer eyeing it out. However, do not carry the scale with you if you're planning on buying more than half an ounce, as this is sufficient evidence to be charged with "intent to distribute."

Have fun, and be safe.

joeblow500
09-25-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Price Varies
Premo = $100 per .125oz

[/ QUOTE ]

So with the cheap weed do you just have to smoke that much more to get the same high? Or is the high different?

STLantny
09-25-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Price Varies
Premo = $100 per .125oz

[/ QUOTE ]

So with the cheap weed do you just have to smoke that much more to get the same high? Or is the high different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

send_the_msg
09-25-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another technique is to find a homeless guy panhandling for money and tell him you give him $50 if he can hook you up with some weed. This is a win-win situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is win win until you get either shitty weed or laced stuff, then it becomes horse [censored].

STLantny
09-25-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another technique is to find a homeless guy panhandling for money and tell him you give him $50 if he can hook you up with some weed. This is a win-win situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is win win until you get either shitty weed or laced stuff, then it becomes horse [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Also dont give hime the money until you check it. I have a buddy that is a door guy, and he has all kinds of bums comming by the front of the place, and he bought a dime bag from one, it was wrapped up tight in some saran wrap or something. the bum took the money, and hurried away. It was grass. Like, literally, kentucky blue or zozia.

Felix_Nietsche
09-25-2005, 04:47 PM
I like the cheap stuff just fine. Sometimes it is a harsher smoke than the good stuff. If your looking for the biggest bang for your buck.....go with the cheap stuff. If money is not an issue.....then get something a little nicer. The law of diminishing returns definately applies to weed. Just because it is twice as expensive doesn't make it twice as good. More like 150% better.

jba
09-25-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the cheap stuff just fine. Sometimes it is a harsher smoke than the good stuff. If your looking for the biggest bang for your buck.....go with the cheap stuff. If money is not an issue.....then get something a little nicer. The law of diminishing returns definately applies to weed. Just because it is twice as expensive doesn't make it twice as good. More like 150% better.

[/ QUOTE ]

life is too short to smoke shitty weed

you should be like me and learn about life from Hollywood. You should watch American Beauty and Curb Your Enthusiasm for tips for old guys scoring weed.

Felix_Nietsche
09-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Money is not an issue for me so I prefer the nicer weed. If they are out of the good stuff, I have no problem smoking the cheap stuff until the premo comes in.

Blarg
09-25-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoking pot is not being in a burning building full of toxic vapors with no escape. There's plenty of oxygen all around your bong or whatever.

There are no recorded cases of THC poisoning.

Blarg
09-25-2005, 06:20 PM
The rag weed tends to be harsher, and you have to smoke more to get the same buzz, so that's more smoke in your lungs, which I don't like much. A double whammy of blecch. The better stuff is really worth it.

Jimbo
09-25-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't ever pay more than $350 for an ounce. Even if it is good stuff because you are being ripped off. Expect around $50 for an eighth. And from what I have heard it has gotten more potent. Procurement is a sticky situation for you though. Ask friends if they know of anyone. You will probably find out about a friend of a friend.... Or if you live in california you could get a prescription for your nagging back pain/insomnia /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1970 I could buy a kilo of the best pot available for that price. Talk about inflation!!!