PDA

View Full Version : Attraction to "tragic" characters

craig r
09-25-2005, 02:48 AM
This seems like as good of a spot as any. I have been doing a lot of "self examining" lately and noticed that I had an "attraction" to "tragic" characters. By attraction, I don't mean sexually, physically, etc... I just mean that for some reason or another, this is what I like to read about or watch movies about. And I also mean "tragic" in it's proper form. Examples of tragic characters would be Stu Ungar, Malcolm X, John Lennon, Conor Oberst, and many others (even a lot of gangster movies, like Goodfellas, I would consider tragic).

Anyways, I really don't know why I would be more inclined to read about or watch movies about these people. I have had a fairly decent life so far (27) and though I have had many ups and downs, I can't necessarily relate to these people. Of course I have struggled (struggling) with addictions and what not, but I have never known "real" pain. So, why would I gravitate towards these types of movies, books, and/or characters?

craig

p.s. I especially like the "characters" that redeemed themselves.

KaneKungFu123
09-25-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(even a lot of gangster movies, like Goodfellas, I would consider tragic).

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahhahhahahahahahahaahah

craig r
09-25-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I said that I meant "tragic" in it's strictest or true sense. I meant the Greek term. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. Goodfellas has it's "heroes" who meet with a bad "fate" (whether on their own accord or not).

craig

miajag81
09-25-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this funny?

Blarg
09-25-2005, 05:28 AM
Why worry about your attraction to such characters? Most pop culture is a never ending sequence of blandness, and generally relentlessly upbeat.

The drumbeat of it be stifling, and the insistence of a lot of people on being exposed to nothing else can amplify the feeling of a society closed to any but a single emotion or attitude.

A mature person doesn't need coddling and has a broader interest in the world than simply masking whatever doesn't feel happy and upbeat. He'd like to deepen himself and his understanding, not bury and deny his fears. Your being attracted to all of life is a sign of life itself, and an acceptance of life, not a denial, nor anything morbid. You'd just like to think about, and feel, the whole of life, at least a little.

The ancients didn't construct tragedies to make us feel bad, but to make us feel the whole of the world and our place in it.

Go ahead and watch tragedies, and enjoy being fully human, without apology. Life and the human spirit and potential are a lot more full when you open up instead of filter out anything too intense or objectionable. And being open to thinking about more things and being afraid of fewer feelings makes for a much more interesting person, with a much greater capacity for accepting and understanding others.

Vish
09-25-2005, 12:32 PM
To say that "feeling the tragic is living life more fully" is a bit simplistic, I think. Every deep feeling, whether painful or pleasurable, is in some way satisfying. I'm not sure what way this is, and I don't want to describe it in terms of pleasure--it's something completely different and more fundamental.

We're all masochists, some of us more than others. This is why when we're feeling melancholy, we often like to watch sad movies, or listen to sad music. It may sound a bit odd, but I sometimes even find myself wanting physical pain. In such moods, I've put cigarettes out on the back of my hand.

Tuben
09-25-2005, 02:25 PM
I think it is comon that pepole find it interesting .
Like nirvana singer and the kind of things you say.

I did that before but i am older know and dont find it interesting anymore. But not much intersets me but money .

A_C_Slater
09-25-2005, 03:07 PM
"Some people are larger than life, but Adolf Hitler was larger than death." -- Don Dellio

Blarg
09-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, if you are responding to me, that's not quite what I said, and what I did say, you simplistically.

I didn't say feeling ONLY the tragic. And in fact the whole tenor and thrust of my post was allowing oneself to consider the full range of experience rather than narrowing it down to only what's comfortable or acceptable.

I don't think that to be fully human one has to be FULLY human, including noodling into every single corner of the human pysche no matter how crazy, criminal, or pointless. But classical tragedy speaks deeply to the human soul, and though it's just a downer or even repellant to many people, it's on the menu for anyone who doesn't want a narrow soul.

Vish
09-26-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you are responding to me, that's not quite what I said, and what I did say, you simplistically.

I didn't say feeling ONLY the tragic. And in fact the whole tenor and thrust of my post was allowing oneself to consider the full range of experience rather than narrowing it down to only what's comfortable or acceptable.

I don't think that to be fully human one has to be FULLY human, including noodling into every single corner of the human pysche no matter how crazy, criminal, or pointless. But classical tragedy speaks deeply to the human soul, and though it's just a downer or even repellant to many people, it's on the menu for anyone who doesn't want a narrow soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I understand: you're saying that watching tragedies provides a fuller range of experience than art that isn't tragic, no? I was just trying to explain what that fuller experience is--a sort of satisfaction in emotional pain. But I wouldn't be surpised if I completely misunderstood, so feel free to explain again.

Hoopster81
09-26-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But not much intersets me but money and English .

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

Darryl_P
09-26-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, why would I gravitate towards these types of movies, books, and/or characters?

[/ QUOTE ]

My educated guess:

You (like any of us) want to feel a high sense of worth. You like to read about people who have achieved greatness so you can learn and improve yourself, but in the typical case you also feel threatened because it may be that the person you are reading about is superior in EVERY important way and that reduces your self-esteem.

But when you read about a tragic case you don't feel this inferiority since the dude died and you're still alive, so you've got the edge on that key point. That removes the negative self-esteem stuff and leaves you with an enjoyable reading (or viewing) experience.

Just a 2c contribution from one layman observer.