PDA

View Full Version : Worth the investment?

09-25-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm forcing myself to build up from a $25 deposit on UB to see what I can make out of it. Sort of a personal challenge. After a few hours of .05/.1 6-max, I'm at 31.
These games seem very beatable. But my real passion is MTTs.
With such a small bankroll is it worth throwing away the $1 to play a UB MTT? Partly it's fun, but cashing is nice too. What are these tiny buy-in, huge-field MTTs even like? Crapshoots?

LethalRose
09-25-2005, 02:04 AM
With my first $50 starting to play MTT's I played the party poker 1$ tournaments which guaranteed $500. Won it a few times then moved up to the 5$ tournaments.

Stars has now like 7 micro limit MTT's which pay off well (>100x buyin) if you win. The buyins range from 1-3$. Even experienced players with bankrolls <10K play these, they are good practice. If i could start over i would definately play these over party. Stars has a great structure. I dont think they are crapshoots, if you play correctly you will eventually win one.

If you've never played a MTT or have little experience. Pick up 3 books.

1) Tournament Poker for advanced player

2) harrington on holdem vol 1

3) harrington on holdem vol 2

Also, if you havent read theory of poker and holdem for the advanced player pick up those as well.

Once you've read all these (several times), move your br over to stars and play the 45 player 1$ Mtt's at stars. These will give you lots of practice in bubble play and final table play. If you dont have these skills playing in a big MTT with huge first prizes wont do you much good.

It sucks playing at such small limits, but you have to. in 6 months if you work hard enough you could be playing with the big boys.

UB has without a doubt the best structure on the net for MTT's, but I dont think they offer tournaments in your range. Stars is by far the best place to start out at. You can also play .05/.10 or whatever to practice your deep stacked game.

Blindcurve
09-25-2005, 02:56 AM
First of all, at $.50/$1, you can experience a large enough BB swing to lose your bankroll. I'm sure they talk about BR requirements in the SSHE section, but if you can, you want to be playing something like $.5/.10.

However, if bankroll reqs aren't too important, why not take on a $1 MTT? Every tournament is a bit of a lottery. The individuals in the field are not necessarily strong, but it's hard to beat the field. Certainly a tournament offers your best potential ROI%. It's like 3% of your BR. You could potentially make 6x your initial $25 buy-in.

It's a long shot, but why not? Especially if you like to play them. It's not a good investment, but neither is $.50/1.00 6 max on a $31 roll.

-D.

CardSharpCook
09-25-2005, 03:05 AM
dude, he IS playing the five and dime. Very cool and I wish you luck. MTTs can always be a part of BR management.

Blindcurve
09-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Decimal points are so tricky.

My apologies to the OP. And let me echo Cook's encouragement.

-D.