PDA

View Full Version : What Do the Experts Agree On?

09-25-2005, 01:42 AM
In his post, Sklansky basically states that 'true' geniuses who have a studied a topic thoroughly and are certain about the answer, should be given respect. But what questions do the brilliant experts actually agree on?

On the question of God, there is the survey that only 10% of National Academy of Science members believe in God. But have they studied the subject thoroughly? In addition, they're not the only experts. I would rate some Catholic apologists as experts in their field, and some are highly intelligent, certainly fitting Sklansky's criteria for being able to do a math/physics, logic or law PHD with ease. Yet they believe in a God of some sort.

Why should those who are grounded and indoctrinated in skepticism and naturalism be considered greater experts than others who have studied the same phenomena and are also certain? Since when is knowledge of the natural world a good criteria for determining truth about God, a soul, an afterlife?

I'm wondering if anyone else has quotes or passages written by geniuses who have studied these topics and are certain about them. You would expect most of them to agree, because if they don't, what good is the fact that they're geniuses in determining the correctness of their opinion?

Zeno
09-25-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What Do the Experts Agree On?

[/ QUOTE ]

That P.G. Wodehouse is a better writer than Lugwig Wittgenstein and Lugwig, bless his soul, is a better writer than David Sklansky.

-Zeno

purnell
09-25-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since when is knowledge of the natural world a good criteria for determining truth about God, a soul, an afterlife?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is. Studying the natural world develops reasoning ability, which usually helps in determining truth.

[ QUOTE ]
You would expect most of them to agree, because if they don't, what good is the fact that they're geniuses in determining the correctness of their opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure two people who are "smart enough to easily get an advanced degree in Physics" are necessarily apt to agree on anything that can't be proven.

But I'm more like your avatar than a Sklansky-defined genius, so I don't know jack.

RJT
09-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Genius A says he is more intelligent than Genius B.
Genius B says he is more intelligent than Genius A.

I am not a genius, but I am certain than one of the geniuses is correct . Therefore one should always rely on (the kindness of) geniuses.