PDA

View Full Version : 88 against a tight-ass.

Baseballer02
09-25-2005, 12:53 AM
I've taken a break from hold 'em for the past couple weeks when I finally realized I was no longer running bad, but just playing god awful poker. I've re-read SSHE a couple times and tonight decided I was ready to head back to the Party 2/4 tables. I feel I'm playing decent-great poker, but my return is far from going as well as I hoped, as I'm already enduring a nice downswing due to mutiple runner runner suckouts. This isn't a suckout hand, but one as to where I wasn't quite sure where I stood against the preflop raiser and callers here on a semi-coordinated board. The preflop raiser is 4/4/INF after 30 hands or so.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB folds.

Flop: (9 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero???

Harv72b
09-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Hero raises.

He comes off as being incredibly tight/passive/aggressive, but a 30 hand sample really doesn't mean anything--I've had 30 hand spans before where I didn't get a single hand worth VPIP'ing with. So this becomes a pretty automatic flop raise for me when I'm holding an overpair.

If he 3-bets and it gets down to HU, I'm probably still calling down UI if no ace shows up.

09-25-2005, 01:32 AM
I would raise preflop. I think 88 is a great hand to try to isolate here with, especially if you think you can get the blinds to fold.

I would raise the flop. I think I might fold to a 3-bet, though without specific postflop reads I'm sure it's pretty close.

Dagger78
09-25-2005, 05:15 AM
Raise the flop. Otherwise you're resigned to calling down, and that just sucks.

If he 3-bets the flop and leads the turn I might be convinced to fold here, but I wouldn't like it. Most people won't be this aggressive with overcards OOP.

Dopey
09-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Harv,

I agree the stats don't mean much after 30 hands but do the stats not mean that he has played one hand of 30 and raised that one hand pf and bet/raised the whole way. So really his stats say he is squeaky tight/agressive/aggressive.

I agree with the flop raise and would probably bet turn if called and checked to but I don't think a call-down is in order. I give him a little credit given his stats and fold the turn UI to any further aggression until I see a reason not to (Im calling a flop 3-bet because I'd be getting 16-18ish-:1 and don't like to fold for one bet on the same street I have raised.)

Dopey /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

09-25-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would raise preflop. I think 88 is a great hand to try to isolate here with, especially if you think you can get the blinds to fold.

I would raise the flop. I think I might fold to a 3-bet, though without specific postflop reads I'm sure it's pretty close.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the EV in reraising pf? There's a chance that you're up against AK or some such here, but a pretty good chance you're up against a bigger pair which he isn't going to fold even if you reraise.

If he is on overs, you isolate into a horserace.

Call pf. With the board being what it is, raise on the flop, but be ready to get rid of it if you're reraised or called and an overcard turns.