PDA

View Full Version : I capped it with a hand I thought was behind - 10/20

brick
09-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Villian was 44/20/2.5

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

River: (12.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

paco
09-25-2005, 12:46 AM
After the 3-bet its call down time. Obviously you call your draw, and then I'll usually just check/call the river with TP hoping he was getting out of line( but expecting to lose).
Isn't a river value bet a little optimisic?

tongni
09-25-2005, 12:55 AM
I'd probably play it the same, although it's a tough bet if you can't fold to a raise on the river.

adamstewart
09-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Call the turn 3-bet - don't cap.

Seeing as this guy's stats are so LAGgy, including Aggro 2.5, I'd check/call the river. (But it's a close call between that and check/folding the river... you're going to lose this showdown very often. Any lower on the Aggro Factor, and it'd be a clear check/fold on this river).

Adam

09-25-2005, 01:18 AM
The turn cap is a little too aggro, just call the 3 bet.

Against a player like this who is likely to bet the river no matter his holding if you check it to him, and will always raise the river if he's got a monster, I definately check call. A river raise from him is just sickening. He will not ever, ever fold a hand that beats you. The river bet is definately spewing.

I don't really consider check/folding this river in a bloated HU pot. I think you are going to lose this showdown the vast majority of the time, but after going this far I'm going to pay him off.

brick
09-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I've never capped it in quite this situation before.
Didn't like it once I hit "raise".

I lost to KK.

StellarWind
09-26-2005, 01:51 AM
I can't imagine why you capped the turn. It's directly -EV and spoils your checkraise when you make the flush.

The actual deal underlines another disadvantage. Not only did you lose the fourth turn bet, you may have lost another bet on the river as a direct result. Call the 3-bet and check the river and the kings will often check behind. Look at it from his perspective:

1. Obvious hand for Hero: AJ
2. Other common hands: AQ, A8, other aces

Meanwhile when the kings are still good Villain has to worry that the ace has killed his action. Hands like TT are likely not to pay. He could have reached the point where only KJ and QJ will pay and that's not worth a bet.

If you don't believe that I simply add that whatever their thought process, people often do let you off when the ace rivers. But having capped the turn it's pretty much a no-win situation when the ace hits. No matter what he has he'll make the right decision if you check and of course betting hardly appeals either.

09-26-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine why you capped the turn. It's directly -EV and spoils your checkraise when you make the flush.

The actual deal underlines another disadvantage. Not only did you lose the fourth turn bet, you may have lost another bet on the river as a direct result. Call the 3-bet and check the river and the kings will often check behind. Look at it from his perspective:

1. Obvious hand for Hero: AJ
2. Other common hands: AQ, A8, other aces

[/ QUOTE ]

Stellar, after you call the 3-bet, if you hit the flush, do you really go for that check-raise? I'm finding that at 5/10, check-raising good rivers doesn't really work very often for me - so I lean towards donk-betting whenever I hit OOP on river (which has the added benefit of inducing raises from people who are tired of donk-bets).

Will your decision to go for C/R or donk-bet depend on his river aggression factor? I only got PT/Office yesterday, so still have MUCH to learn about how to use it properly.

Question 2: If you had the KK here, and it was capped on turn, would you check the A river if checked to you? I certainly would - but is that too weak? Again, should I be relying on PT stats to decide what to do there, or is checking that A river a fairly standard line?

brick
09-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Great analysis. Thanks for breaking it down.

I probably capped the turn because I was getting pushed around too much recently. But after all the preflop action this is not the time to make a stand.

StellarWind
09-26-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stellar, after you call the 3-bet, if you hit the flush, do you really go for that check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes if the rank of the flush card looks like a brick. No if the card looks scary for reasons other than being the third flush card.

An aggressive player has 3-bet the turn checkraise. He likes his hand and is going to give me a free showdown about never because there has been no warning that I might be flushing.

Alternatively he may be nuts with overcards or something. Even then checking to induce may be better than betting.