PDA

View Full Version : new tie

smokingrobot
09-24-2005, 10:42 PM
I just bought a new tie today and it is awesome.

it kinda looks like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SILK-TIE-by-Ted-Baker-HAND-SEWN-retro-style-floral_W0QQitemZ5428262379QQcategoryZ2995QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

but much better, and its black.

best purchase of my month hands down.

more of his ties are here:

http://www.tiedeals.com/tedbaker/ted508360_orflow.htm#

they are so friggin sweet.

theben
09-24-2005, 10:50 PM
better be 100% silk

09-24-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...they are so friggin sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds awfully gay to me.

IronDragon1
09-24-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

but much better, and its black.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's nothing at all like the tie in the link you provide

tonypaladino
09-24-2005, 10:52 PM
You don't fool me. You're 1,000+ posts were just a setup so you could spam your tie store on 2+2.

<~~Skipping off to tell the mods

mslif
09-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Pink, you have to get a pink tie. Pink ties are the money!

smokingrobot
09-24-2005, 11:11 PM
ok, so the simliarity between my tie and the one in the picture is they both have floral motifs.

mine is definately much cooler looking though... the design is way more intricate.

i dont care how gay this sounds, this tie is awesome.

and its 100% silk.

since i work in an office where i have to wear a tie everyday, i think it was a damn good purchase. and everyone who hates can go look like a fool in their ugly ties.

smokingrobot
09-24-2005, 11:12 PM
they had a really cool pink tie there too.

i have a tie that is striped with one of the colors being pink and it's cool too.

mslif
09-24-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they had a really cool pink tie there too.

i have a tie that is striped with one of the colors being pink and it's cool too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am telling you pink and now that I think of it, orange, are great colors for ties. Anyone who tells you otherwise has just poor taste.

jakethebake
09-24-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure his boyfriend will think so too.

mslif
09-24-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
09-24-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i obviously have really lousy taste. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

smokingrobot
09-24-2005, 11:42 PM
you have terrible taste jake.

jakethebake
09-24-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you have terrible taste jake.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. thanks for agreeing. that's what i said.

GuyOnTilt
09-25-2005, 12:05 AM
I like wearing ties. Maybe it's 'cause I don't have to wear one yet, but I used to wear them like once a week. Haven't much lately for some reason, but I probably would wear them much more often than that if a decent one didn't cost 150 freaking dollars. Seriously wtf.

GoT

jakethebake
09-25-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if a decent one didn't cost 150 freaking dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right?

GuyOnTilt
09-25-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if a decent one didn't cost 150 freaking dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmmm, I don't think so. It's been a while since I went tie shopping and I don't check price tags very often, but I wanna say I spend between $100 and $150 on a tie. Maybe I don't. Do I not?

GoT

jakethebake
09-25-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mmmm, I don't think so. It's been a while since I went tie shopping and I don't check price tags very often, but I wanna say I spend between $100 and $150 on a tie. Maybe I don't. Do I not?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno where you live. I used to get pretty nice ones at Nordstroms and they were nowhere near that.

GuyOnTilt
09-25-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno where you live. I used to get pretty nice ones at Nordstroms and they were nowhere near that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, maybe I'm just way off. I've bought several ties from Nordstrom and I would've guessed I payed somewhere around $120 for them. I guess they weren't? They can't have been <$80 though, right?

GoT

IronDragon1
09-25-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, maybe I'm just way off. I've bought several ties from Nordstrom and I would've guessed I payed somewhere around $120 for them. I guess they weren't? They can't have been <$80 though, right?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously the product selection differs greatly among Nordstrom locations but at the one I used to shop at (Oakbrook, IL) the most expensive ties they had were $75(Armani Collezioni).

But I guess if yours carries Zegna or some comprable label then those ties would be >$80.

GuyOnTilt
09-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Wow. I can't beleive how far off I was. Geez. I feel like going and buying a bunch of ties now. They'll be like half off! I was thinking about this just now and remembered something. Evan and I went to Nordstrom a couple days before he flew back to NYC to do some shopping and I was gonna buy him a pair of jeans. So while he was trying on jeans I was looking around and found a track jacket I liked. So we go to get rung up by our salesperson and for some reason I was paying in cash that day (I pretty much never do at stores) and I pulled out five bills, four on the counter for her and I kept one 'cause I thought it might be close. The total was under $200.

I think I should start checking prices on things I buy from now on, at least for a while. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

"I mean it's one banana, Michael. How much could it cost, ten dollars?"

GoT

09-25-2005, 01:14 AM
OK, on a serious note.

Do you buy ties based purely on price or appearance?

Do you know how to judge the quality/workmanship of a tie?

I ask purely out of curiosity. I'm retired now, but in my corporate life I was a clothes horse. My dad worked in a fine men's store and I learned about men's clothes from him.

Dave Mac
09-25-2005, 01:34 AM
no you were right, a decent tie is 120-300, a piece of [censored] is like 60. sales are the key tho, you can get great [censored] for like 50% off and that makes it afforadable.
but yeah nice things cost money ties are no exception.
dave

Tron
09-25-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you buy ties based purely on price or appearance?

Do you know how to judge the quality/workmanship of a tie?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely no idea what makes a good tie a good tie. But I'm only 19.

smokingrobot
09-25-2005, 10:14 PM
this wasnt 150, but there are some very cool looking ties that are.

but i've found some really good ties for like 8 bucks at places before too. discount department stores often have a an awesome deal or two, not to mention thrift stores every so often have a gem in there.

smokingrobot
09-25-2005, 10:18 PM
i guess i couldnt tell you about quality, but i buy ties solely by how they look only because comfort doesnt really come into play. unless its made of razor wire or something.