PDA

View Full Version : Continuation bets.. a view from John Hennigan

jayheaps
09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
I was talking with John Hennigan a couple of weeks ago and the following question came up and his answer surprised me a bit. Before I tell you what he said, I'd like to get everyone's opinion, especially BK and Tommy.

Limit Holdem 100/200 or Higher. You raise in the cutoff with A-8 off. You are only called by the big blind. The BB checks in the dark.

What flops, if any, do you not follow with a continuation bet?

tonysoldier
09-24-2005, 09:51 PM
It so much depends on the player, and what I think his dark check means.

STLantny
09-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Not too many. Seems kind of weird, to only call in the BB/and check dark, at 100/200. But Ive only watched online games.

lil feller
09-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I've never playd that high, but after watching a decent amount of online 1/2, I would guess that this is actually a c/r in the dark...

lf

James282
09-24-2005, 10:18 PM
A lot of players essentially check dark every time their bb is raised. I continue on almost every flop - if we are saying there are flops I wouldn't continue on, I guess you could throw in flops with ab unch of small cards.
-James

JAA
09-25-2005, 12:16 AM
I follow pretty much every flop with a continuation bet. Actually, come to think of it, I follow every flop with a continuation bet. The whole "check in the dark" thing is done specifically to slow the preflop raiser down. Don't cave in; bet the flop.

- Jags

Josh W
09-25-2005, 02:22 AM
I check a lot of raggedy ace-high flops here. Not AKQ two-tone, and not A67, monotone. But most ace-high flops.

Josh

andyfox
09-25-2005, 02:24 AM
To trap, or because a blind-check often means the blind checker has an ace with a moderately good kicker?

Josh W
09-25-2005, 02:36 AM
A little of both.

A popular phrase two years ago got too popular, and has nearly died out.....way ahead or way behind. The size of the "way" depends on the size of the pot.

In a small pot, having a pair of aces means you are usually 'way ahead' or 'way behind'.

If you are way ahead, you are trapping. If the blind check means an ace with a better kicker, you are way behind.

J