PDA

View Full Version : What's the best play here?

Hotchile
05-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi everyone.

Here's the scenario. Rebuy tournament starts with 37 players. (could be one off). Final table, 5 players left, blinds are 200/400. I have T2500 and am on the BB. Small blind has about 1300, UTG has 1100, 2UTG has 2300, Button has approximatey 4800.

Fold to the button who is ultra aggressive in this situation. He raises to 1500, SB folds. I look down and find QTc. The buttons raising standards in this situation are pretty much "any two cards". I have a tight image.

Question, what is the play here?

I'll post my action and the results later.

HC

Al_Capone_Junior
05-12-2003, 11:14 AM
You didn't say if you were in the money or not. Either way, it makes little difference.

Fold.

QT is not worth it here. You're going to have to commit more than half your stack just to call, and if he's so wild, you might as well go all-in if you're going to make a stand. But even if you go all-in, he has many more chips than you, and will probably call. I'd wait for a better opportunity.

al

Sarge85
05-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Final table - I'm guessing rebuys are done at this point.

I'd fold. If's its a Baby Pair, or a higher suited connector then maybe I'd call. But at this point I don't think you have anything you'd want to risk calling him down on. That'd be the way to play your cards. So the question is, can you play your image. To do that I'd would surmise you had to move all in and hope your tight image backs him down. I'd still be leary in that position. If I'd see him back down to re-raises then maybe I make this move. I'd still wait for better cards to call him down on though. Your in the BB now, so you'll have the button soon and some "free" looks and a better chance to call him down.

ohkanada
05-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Fold.

Although your QTs may be better than your opponents hand, there are many King and Ace high hands that he has you dominated. Plus there is zero chance he would fold for another 1k raise. Find another hand.

Ken Poklitar

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-12-2003, 11:20 AM
If 3rd place is significantly more $$ than 5th, this is an easy fold. The two short stacks are in trouble right now. If the only way to make money is to win the thing, I'd pop him back all-in.

Hotchile
05-12-2003, 06:18 PM
I went all-in with him and busted to a board of J8452. He showed K7. 3rd place was 368 and first was 968. I chose to go for first.

HC

Guy McSucker
05-13-2003, 03:13 AM
Your QTc is a 3:2 favourite over a random hand. That's not a whole lot, and if we give the button a tiny bit of credit for a hand (any Q or better, say) then this is pretty much a coin flip.

Given that he won't fold if you raise, and that you can't get away from the hand if you take the flop and miss, my thought is "Why gamble?"

If you win the hand you're still not guaranteed first place, with the blinds as large as they are. Let the short stacks take the gambles while they have to, and wait until you can be the one making the raise.

Guy.

ohkanada
05-13-2003, 10:07 AM
"I chose to go for first."

I think you chose to gamble with a hand that was at best a slight favorite and likely an underdog. Why go against the 1 player who could bust you with this hand.

Ken Poklitar

Hotchile
05-13-2003, 10:41 AM
If I could have it back, I think I would A) fold or B) Call and bet out on any flop not containing an A or K. I think that folding would still be my first choice.

Thanks for your responses.

HC