PDA

View Full Version : AK - move in preflop or not???

mmmarkus
09-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Live tourney, 150 players. Top 30 advance to final that consists of 60 people on next day. Starting stack is 5000 chips. Blinds increase quickly, every 20 minutes. I figure you want at least the average of around 25,000 chips to have a reasonable chance if you qualify for next day. Currently there are 90/150 players remaining.

HAND A
I have 8600 in chips, Blinds are 300-600, and I am in SB and find AKo.
One limper in MP, button goes All In with 2700 chips(shortest stack at table). I move in with the intention of isolating. BB and MP fold and we are heads up. Button has 44, I find no help and he doubles through.

HAND B
The very next hand, I am on button and look down to find AKs. EP (big stack approx. 14,000 chips) raises to 1500(2.5 X BB). He has made this kind of raise from around same position before with AA, AJ, TT.
Without hesitating I move in for my remaining 5900 chips. He calls with 88, which holds up.

I was criticised by 2 players for being too aggressive with AK.
imo, all in Preflop with AK is never really in terrible shape unless you are up against AA, KK. I thought that both spots were good to push, in particular Hand A, and happened to lose both coinflips.

Please comment on Hand A, and Hand B. Is this too aggressive, or can anyone get away from these?

ansky451
09-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Both look standard. In general people at tournaments who tell you what you did wrong are stupid.