PDA

View Full Version : Does Starspy still work after latest Stars update?

teddyFBI
09-24-2005, 07:03 PM
OK - I know that support / upgrades have officially been discontinued b/c Stars deemed mining observed tables to be against their TOC. But I'm asking for the following reason:

i Use a modified Stars table background, and so i Run the program from the PokerStars.exe and NOT the Pokerstarsupdate.exe file -- the latter overwrites the image files every time you run it.

but I back up my custom background and run the starsupdate.exe file every month or so to make sure I'm using the most up to date version of the sTArs software.

THIS time, though, i want to make sure that stars hasn't somehow disabled the use of STARspy before upgrading...can anyone who still uses Starspy confirm for me that it still works (as it always did before) even after the latest Stars software upgrade from last week?

oreogod
09-25-2005, 01:49 AM
yes it works. I tested it the otherday.

theRealMacoy
09-26-2005, 03:43 AM
it definately still works.

although after the last update it seems to require more resources to run and thus i can't mine the same number of tables as in the past (e.g., now approx 25-30 vs 43 tables).

cheers,
the Real Macoy

09-26-2005, 11:21 AM
I also dodged the upgrade for the same reason.

How long could I go without upgrading?

asteroid
09-26-2005, 12:26 PM
hi,

has anybody of you,who still uses starspy,gotten a warning by pokerstars-support regarding the use of this software which according to their new policy is forbidden?do you assume or know,that not logging into your account on stars will escape detection of starspy usage?

asteroid

Sniper
09-26-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you assume or know,that not logging into your account on stars will escape detection of starspy usage?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not entirely true!

theRealMacoy
09-26-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you assume or know,that not logging into your account on stars will escape detection of starspy usage?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not entirely true!

[/ QUOTE ]

please elaborate!

Sniper
09-27-2005, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
please elaborate!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to be logged in for Stars to know who you are, or at least what computer you are using (which is easily linked to who you are). It is likely logging both your computer's unique identifier and your IP address at the time that the app is loaded and connects to their servers.

Once you load the Stars application on your computer, it can be running any of its "banned app" detection routines.

Luv2DriveTT
09-27-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is likely logging both your computer's unique identifier and your IP address at the time that the app is loaded and connects to their servers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The identifier is most likely your Nic card's MAC address, which is the equivalent to a unique serial number. A MAC address can be routable past a firewall.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

09-29-2005, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A MAC address can be routable past a firewall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, any communications data over a tcp/ip network is sent via packets. Each packet contains a header, which contains source address, destination address, mac address and others. So the mac address is hardcoded into each packet you send.

However, the mac address can be easily changed if you're worried, providing your network card driver supports the operation (google is your friend).

Regards,

G.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif