PDA

View Full Version : site security certificate

BigBiceps
09-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Whenever I click on My account from party on my new computer, it says "The security certificate was issued by a company you have not chosed to trust. View the certificate to determine whether you want to trust the certifying authority"

I then view and accept the certificate. However, the next time I do this it comes up again.

How do I stop it from doing this?

StevieG
09-24-2005, 07:50 PM
You can't do anything(*). The certificates are the proof to your browser that the Web site is really who they claim to be. They register this certificate with someone to establish this proof. What has happened is that their certificate is expired or not registered, so your browser checks with the authority, and they say "hey, this certifcate is not right." Until Party fixes it with the authority, this message will continue to show.

(*) In IE, when this message shows, you can reject the certificate or accept it. If you use Firefox, the first time this message shows, you will have the choice to reect it, accept it this time only, or accept it all the time. If you take this last option in Firefox, you would not see the message the next time.

BigBiceps
09-24-2005, 10:35 PM
But it works on my other computer. I am using IE and am running win XP. It works on my old computer and not my new computer.

Any other thoughts?

send_the_msg
09-25-2005, 05:30 AM
in my experience IE doesn't have this problem, but all other browsers do.

MyMindIsGoing
09-25-2005, 10:06 AM
What company was it (my guess is that it was some big one like VeriSign)? If you trust them (else why do you use a site they signed?) add their cert to the trusted ones and the question will never come up again. MS has a package of root certs (from all big serious signers) on their site to install to prevent questions like these to come up and like set some "default trusted" certs.

BigBiceps
09-25-2005, 10:35 AM
I accept the certificate and it appears. I also added them to trusted sites under the IE -tools-internet options-security-trusted sites.

I am getting the message when I accept the certificate: "The certificate cannot be verified, up to a trusted certification authority"

The certificate issuer is: Thawte SGC CA

Any other pointers? It is really annoying.

Another issue that might be related, I cannot open an account at Absolute. When I click on new account the webpage does not appear.

This is a brand new computer, only had it one day, what other settings might be off?

PLOlover
09-25-2005, 04:19 PM
pretty sure you can go to internet options, advanced (all the way to right tab), in ie, and scroll down for security options and you can enable/disable.

BigBiceps
09-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I even disabled "warn about invalid certificates" on the IE menu, and it still comes up.

I am not sure what else to try, this is a new computer. It doesn't do this on my old computer. Also, whenever Absolute tries to open a webpage it just brings up an error screen instead.

Are these related, or does anyone know any other solutions?