PDA

View Full Version : I suck at playing JJ preflop, comments.

jman220
09-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Edit: $100 no limit holdem, six max.
Villain is 37/20/4.17.
Party Poker (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

MP Limps, folded around to SB who makes it $4 to go. In BB, I reraise to $10. MP calls, SB three-bets to $35. I fold, MP Folds.

Final Pot:

My thought process was that most people with stats similar to that are only three betting with QQ or higher, and it looks like AA. I figure I need to be getting 8:1 on my money to call, and I don't see myself making $200 by calling the additional $25. I also can't see reraising because I strongly feel like villain has QQ or higher here, and isn't making this move with something like AK, for which I probably still have very little fold equity and I'm racing anyway. Did I play this ok?

meleader2
09-24-2005, 03:45 PM
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8167/iseewhat3ag2ao.jpg

rikz
09-24-2005, 03:46 PM
You reraised for information at which point you found out SB was serious about his hand. Since he is out of position you should probably put him on a higher-quality range of hands than if he was in LP , so once he comes over the top of your reraise you can fold out safely. It sounds like you played your hand just the way you had planned to play it, and it worked out fine.

It's true that you lost some money, but you may have saved money versus how I probably would have played it. I probably would have called the EP raise of $4, then played my set pretty fast if I hit it. If A, K or Q flopped, I'd fold to villain's 3/4 pot or larger continuation bet. If all undercards had hit the flop, then I'd proably make a healthy raise over villain's continuation bet (or pot it if checked to me) to see if my J's are still good vs. this LAGGY villain. I won't go to the felt my JJ, however. It's when the flop is all undercards that your method of play probably saves money versus mine if you don't have a good read on villain as someone that takes AK way too far on a missed flop, etc.

Anyway, I would have played QQ like you did and folded those there too. So, I think calling the $4 and playing primarily for a set is ok (like I'd have done it), but reraising and folding to a major re-raise if fine too (like you did it). Why would I play QQ differently than JJ? Because I have to draw the line somewhere on what hands I reraise with for information and I basically reraise with the intent to fold to a major 3-bet with QQ only. Doing with JJ and TT are probably fine too, I just haven't been playing like that out of personal preference.

MINETZ
09-24-2005, 03:49 PM
when u post stats, u should post amt of hands to show how relevent the data is, I think you shoudlve made it 12+ on the re raise, other than that NH.

jman220
09-24-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You reraised for information at which point you found out SB was serious about his hand. Since he is out of position you should probably put him on a higher-quality range of hands than if he was in LP , so once he comes over the top of your reraise you can fold out safely. It sounds like you played your hand just the way you had planned to play it, and it worked out fine.

It's true that you lost some money, but you may have saved money versus how I probably would have played it. I probably would have called the EP raise of $4, then played my set pretty fast if I hit it. If A, K or Q flopped, I'd fold to villain's 3/4 pot or larger continuation bet. If all undercards had hit the flop, then I'd proably make a healthy raise over villain's continuation bet (or pot it if checked to me) to see if my J's are still good vs. this LAGGY villain. I won't go to the felt my JJ, however. It's when the flop is all undercards that your method of play probably saves money versus mine if you don't have a good read on villain as someone that takes AK way too far on a missed flop, etc.

Anyway, I would have played QQ like you did and folded those there too. So, I think calling the $4 and playing primarily for a set is ok (like I'd have done it), but reraising and folding to a major re-raise if fine too (like you did it). Why would I play QQ differently than JJ? Because I have to draw the line somewhere on what hands I reraise with for information and I basically reraise with the intent to fold to a major 3-bet with QQ only. Doing with JJ and TT are probably fine too, I just haven't been playing like that out of personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info, yeah my line of set value versus reraise for info is generally 10/10 or less for sets, JJ or greater for info. Big pocket pairs though were a major leak in my game that I've been trying to clean up. (Real problems getting away from a hand like JJ on the flop if the flop is like 2/3/8).

amoeba
09-24-2005, 06:41 PM
as you start playing against better opponents who will smoothcall a raise with AA/KK/QQ, the information part of the preflop raise has much less value.

FlyingStart
09-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Why is it a good play to smoothcall with AA, KK, QQ? And against what type of opponent would you do this?