PDA

View Full Version : Set & FD vs. Straight

PokerFink
09-24-2005, 12:44 PM
PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($33.05)
Hero ($113.30)
SB ($88.35)
BB ($51.60)
UTG ($95.50)
MP ($115.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, Hero calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Checks around.

Turn: ($4) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $12.8</font>, Hero?

I felt very lost here, please help.

Also, fold preflop? Stab at the flop?

09-24-2005, 02:09 PM
It is a marginal starting hand, but not a terrible limp in position. Basically, with that hand, you are hoping to flop a J.

At those limits, taking a stab at the pot on the flop seems overly risky. You are likely to get called by the straight/flush draw and there are a lot of cards that you don't want to see on the turn.

A call may be in order on the turn if you think your second nut flush will be good, as you should have plenty of outs.

BluffTHIS!
09-24-2005, 02:38 PM
That is a decent hand that I would play in late position versus a reasonable raise as well. On the turn you have more than enough outs to call but the problem will come in when they both have straights and you get caught in a raising war. If both of them had similar stacks I would not mind as your hand should win more than its share if one of them does not have the nut spade draw. However since the CO has such a small stack you could be left with lesser odds for the side pot versus the SB. So I would call the raise on the turn hoping the SB had a lower set and/or draw and wouldn't repop it. If the SB reraised I would fold since I would only be left against him in the sidepot and have to draw out. However, if I decided to gamble in order to try to build a stack I would then set myself in when the SB reraises so that he couldn't get away if I got there.

PokerFink
09-24-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but the problem will come in when they both have straights and you get caught in a raising war. If both of them had similar stacks I would not mind as your hand should win more than its share if one of them does not have the nut spade draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I felt very lost.

I folded. Was that bad?

BluffTHIS!
09-24-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I would call the raise on the turn hoping the SB had a lower set and/or draw and wouldn't repop it. If the SB reraised I would fold since I would only be left against him in the sidepot and have to draw out. However, if I decided to gamble in order to try to build a stack I would then set myself in when the SB reraises so that he couldn't get away if I got there.

[/ QUOTE ]