PDA

View Full Version : How many states have you been to?

Danenania
09-24-2005, 11:22 AM
In the spirit of the other states thread. Anyone been to all 50? 44 for me. Haven't been to Alaska, Arkansas, Rhode Island, Kansas, North Dakota, or Oklahoma. Pretty scattered... it won't be easy but now that I'm so close I figure I have to close in on the rest of them someday.

09-24-2005, 11:27 AM
i have never been to Boston or LA

MrTrik
47 for me. All but Hawaii, Maine, and Rhode Isle. I'll probably knock off Hawaii within a year or two since it's high on the wife's vacation destinations. As for the other two, who knows if or when.

istewart
I lose horribly in this game.

Although there are some states that you clearly should never go to, and you should lose points for having gone to these select few.

MrTrik
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, Boston isn't a state btw. Heh, neither is LA.

I must've missed the joke.

09-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I've been to more countries than states. And I'm sure most people here can claim the same.

09-24-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, Boston isn't a state btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

theben
09-24-2005, 11:33 AM
about 35

GuyOnTilt
09-24-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been to more countries than states. And I'm sure most people here can claim the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are?

GoT

09-24-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that sounds like a ridiculous thing to say.

tdarko
09-24-2005, 12:20 PM
yeah i am going to have to count the states i haven't been to...washington, oregon, n & s dakota, wyoming, idaho, montana, w. virginia, virginia, maryland.
i have been to 40.

jdl22
09-24-2005, 12:20 PM
we counting airports?

Without airports I've been to 10 (in order of appearance):
Oregon, California, Washington, Hawai'i, Arizona, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York

I've also been to Washington DC. New Jersey should barely count. I took a train from Pittsburgh to New York that passed through New Jersey and also was briefly on Ellis Island which I'm told is technically in New Jersey.

Counting airports I've also been in Illinois, Ohio, Georgia, Texas, and Colorado.

Thythe
09-24-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I would hardly think most people have been to several dozen countries.

PITTM
09-24-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not me...17 states, 5 countries...

california, nevada, arizona, washington, oregon, kansas, missouri, illinois, wisconsin, iowa, indiana, new york, mass., new jersey, utah, colorado, minnesota.

united states of america, canada, mexico, germany, italy. states win.

rj

jacki
09-24-2005, 04:14 PM
In order of appearance:
Wisconsin
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Louisiana
Minnesota
Michigan
Florida
Georgia
Colorado
Nevada

That's it I think.

KDawgCometh
09-24-2005, 04:18 PM
does driving through count? and what would DC count as, virginia, maryland, or weird place that knows no state

09-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm more countries than states. (England, Ireland, Holland, France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Italy, Sri Lanka, India, Belize, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq, Oman, Malaysia, Indonesia, China (sorta, Hong Kong but pre-97), Egypt, Canada and the USA vs Washington State, California, Illinois and New York).

Skip Brutale
09-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Not counting states merely flown over, I've been to California, Nevada, Oregon, Alaska, Texas, Kansas, Oaklahoma, Arizona, Arkansas, Montana, Idaho. Probably some other [censored] in the Idaho Montana region I'm forgetting.

StevieG
09-24-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does driving through count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you stopped to do something. Tourist traps (South of the Border in SC, Corn Palace in Iowa) count, chain restaurants not unique to that state do not.

Airport transfers definitely do not count.

In any case, 37/50. Big Sky country kicks my ass.

kerssens
09-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Illinois, Missouri, Florida. I think that equals 10.

jakethebake
09-24-2005, 07:42 PM
TX, FL, MS, LA, VA, NM, AZ, AR, NV, CA, AL, NY, MA, NE, ND, IA, IN, AK, GA, CT, MD, UT, KS, CO...probably a couple or three more.

send_the_msg
09-24-2005, 07:46 PM
i fit under the more countries than states... just asked my pops and he's been to all but oklahoma... wtf is in oklahoma anyway

tonypaladino
09-24-2005, 07:52 PM
New York, New Jersey, Pensylvania, Deleware, Maryland, Virgina, South Carolina, Florida

8. 9 if DC counts as a state

TT_fold
09-24-2005, 08:01 PM
I've been to so few states... CT, RI, NY, MA, VT, NH, ME, PA, NJ, VA, MD, DE... never left the Northeast or the U.S.

Thanks to a word that cannot be spoken in OOT, though, I hope to travel all over the place in the upcoming year.

Jimbo
09-24-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i fit under the more countries than states... just asked my pops and he's been to all but oklahoma... wtf is in oklahoma anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Your real father.

jakethebake
09-24-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TX, FL, MS, LA, VA, NM, AZ, AR, NV, CA, AL, NY, MA, NE, ND, IA, IN, AK, GA, CT, MD, UT, KS, CO...probably a couple or three more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot DE, NJ, PA, ID, MN, MO, IL...

Jimbo
09-24-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I would hardly think most people have been to several dozen countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highlighted the key word in the initial quote. By "here" I believe he meant Denmark.

Cubswin
09-24-2005, 08:29 PM
about 20-25 states.... ive actually visited more countries than that /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cubswin
09-24-2005, 08:31 PM

haha....didnt read you responce til after the fact... im in that club as well /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BCPVP
09-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Only 9, but I'm only 20 so there's plenty of time.

Danenania
09-24-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you stopped to do something. Tourist traps (South of the Border in SC, Corn Palace in Iowa) count, chain restaurants not unique to that state do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your rules are pretty strict. I count airports and drive throughs but not flyovers. Just have to set foot there.

kerssens
09-24-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your rules are pretty strict. I count airports and drive throughs but not flyovers. Just have to set foot there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I count drive throughs but not airports.

Jimbo
09-24-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. Generally when in the airport you actually set foot on the ground of the State in which you have landed. On a true drivethrough your feet never touch the ground. So if anything your defining criteria should be the opposite.

fluxrad
09-24-2005, 08:57 PM
31. The only state I've been to in the South is Louisiana (On purpose). It might be 32 but I honestly can't remember if I've been to Mass.

kerssens
09-24-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. Generally when in the airport you actually set foot on the ground of the State in which you have landed. On a true drivethrough your feet never touch the ground. So if anything your defining criteria should be the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

driving through you actually see the state, you either drive though the cities or see all the names on exits. if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.

Jimbo
09-24-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

driving through you actually see the state, you either drive though the cities or see all the names on exits. if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If you were a passenger and slept all the way across the State then it wouldn't count. Is this correct?

touchfaith
09-24-2005, 09:01 PM

kerssens
09-24-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If you were a passenger and slept all the way across the State then it wouldn't count. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't count it. I've also never driven through a state and not stopped for gas or something, but I've only driven through states in the west and they're all much bigger than eastern states so you pretty much have to stop.

StevieG
09-24-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you have a layover in an airport you don't see any of the state...all aiports feel the same anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interstate highways all feel the same, too, hence the rule.

You might as well say you've been to Alaska because you saw pictures on the Discovery channel.

To say you've been to a state, you need to experience it first hand. That could be as quick as stopping for pit BBQ in Oklahoma on a state road or taking a quick snapshot of you and your road trip buddies touching the St Louis Arch. But it has to be something.

mblax10
09-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Driving through the state should definitley count. I've driven through Tennesse many times on different routes, but have never actually stopped their other than food/gas. Earlier this year I went to New Jersey for the first time for work. Got off the plane went straight to the office. Worked 2 long days only leaving the office to go across the street to the hotel. I would consider my Tennesse visits much more meaningful.

Still haven't decided if I get to count Colorado when I have a layover in Denver next month. I'm leanng towards no.

Been to 27 states (Including a weekend in North Dakota, everybody should visit Fargo sometime). Nevada will make 28 next month. Also, DC, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas & 8 countries.

StevieG
09-24-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Driving through the state should definitley count. I've driven through Tennesse many times on different routes, but have never actually stopped their other than food/gas. Earlier this year I went to New Jersey for the first time for work. Got off the plane went straight to the office. Worked 2 long days only leaving the office to go across the street to the hotel. I would consider my Tennesse visits much more meaningful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, driving through some place can tell you a lot. And if you stay off the interstate and get some local color, you can see a lot. But the people that do that kind of real "touring" are almost certainly stopping at a tourist site and eating some local flavor. Just driving through is kind of lame. I-95 will take you through Delaware in under 60 minutes. That is not the same as driving across Montana. Hence the need for some real interaction.

If you have two days on the road for work and it feels less substantial than driving through a state on your way from A to B, you might need to reconsider how you use your time while on the road for work.

I travel a fair amount for work. I miss my home and family. So I'll be damned if on top of that I am going to eat at chain restaurants and stare at the walls of my hotel room at night. Ask someone you're working with where to get a local's experience for dinner and go do it.

CCass
09-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Approximately 35. I lack almost all of the Northeastern and Northwestern states, with a couple of midwestern states thrown in.

mblax10
09-24-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you have two days on the road for work and it feels less substantial than driving through a state on your way from A to B, you might need to reconsider how you use your time while on the road for work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have traveled other times for work and have done what you reccomended. I was not staring at the walls in my hotel or eating at chains in New Jersey, I did not have time for these things.

I had 2 days to do about 3 weeks worth of work. I'm lucky I was able to actually go to the hotel and sleep for a couple hours and have a couple of meals delivered.

ptmusic
09-24-2005, 10:33 PM
All 50.

-ptmusic

Blarg
09-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Do trust territories count? They should.

I've been to Guam, Saipan, the Virgin Islands, most of the Hawaiian islands(I'll count them all as one), California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Virginia, W. VA, New York, New Jersey, Colorado. And Washington D.C., I guess I'll count that.

So I'd call that 16.

Slacker13
09-24-2005, 11:08 PM
CA, NV, TX, KY, TN, GA, NJ, IA, IL, MN, FL, OH, MI

StevieG
09-25-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I had 2 days to do about 3 weeks worth of work. I'm lucky I was able to actually go to the hotel and sleep for a couple hours and have a couple of meals delivered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood. Which is why you think that visit to New Jersey doesn't really count as having been there. You're probably right.

If and when you get back, with any luck you won't be as buried. Head to the Borgata, eat, play a few orbits, make the visit count.

Tron
09-25-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do trust territories count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they states?

nothumb
09-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Born and raised in North Carolina, still think it's my favorite state in the union. Lots of variety, great land, good folks and good college basketball.

South Carolina - sandy and illiterate
Tennessee - missed the big cities, so not too memorable
Virginia - worst drivers ever
Georgia - kinda fun, unbelievable traffic, big titty bitches is what I remember (mostly in ATL)
Florida - the fact that the fountain of youth was supposedly here is one of the great ironies of life
Maryland - Camden Yards is nice, screw the rest of it
West Virginia - You can drive fast, I like the scenery, noted a lack of teeth in parts
Kentucky - did some beautiful driving in this state, didn't see much else
Ohio - my parents met here, maybe one of the most depressing post-industrial places on Earth. Letting Ohio and Florida decide presidential elections is like letting Helen Keller judge a ballet contest. I hear some of the college towns are better.
Indiana - flat, and has two time zones, which sucks
Illinois - Chicago was fun, the rest of it was a mind-numbing drive through a snowstorm
New York - seems bizarre that so much crap fits in one state. You have the abyss that is Long Island alongside strange, half-gutted landscapes and farmland in the Southern tier, plus some great forests and mountains and one decent city.
Massachusetts - People's Republic of Subaru
Rhode Island - if Rhode Island deserves to be a state, can we divvy up some of the bigger ones?
New Hampshire - sprained the holy hell out my ankle playing college ball and got a big hospital bill
Vermont - This state sure is pretty, especially if you're in one of the parts where nobody lives
Michigan - not too memorable, I was in Kalamazoo and the cops were fascists. Swam in a Great Lake which was cool, can't remember which one though.
Wisconsin - crazy storm clouds out in the Midwest, really like nothing you'll ever see on the East Coast.
Delaware - [censored] Delaware, who gives a [censored]?

Top 5 States I want to visit are

1. Nevada
2. California
3. Montana
4. Oregon
5. New Mexico

(Louisiana just took a precipitous drop... I also want to see Texas just to see if it really exists).

NT

bravos1
09-25-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not me...17 states, 5 countries...

california, nevada, arizona, washington, oregon, kansas, missouri, illinois, wisconsin, iowa, indiana, new york, mass., new jersey, utah, colorado, minnesota.

united states of america, canada, mexico, germany, italy. states win.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. 15 states for me, 17 countries for me..

Wow.. never realised it but States LOSE for me.

gmrankin
09-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Lived in, or visited... there is a big difference. I have lived in 7 states.

GA
LA
TX
CO
CA
WV
VA