PDA

View Full Version : Right to call?

09-24-2005, 06:34 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

MP2 (t10670)
MP3 (t122206)
CO (t26745)
Button (t41925)
SB (t35930)
BB (t39065)
UTG (t25164)
Hero (t15181)
MP1 (t66540)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t1600, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB checks.

You may argue with me why I limped in with 6K of diamonds but the table was really tight and we are really close to the bubble (50 spots left until money) and there is almost no pre-flop raises so I take every chance I get to see a a flop and steal the pot. I haven't been in that many pot so they are prolly putting me on something better.

Flop: (t3800) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

This is probably where I should have started with a bet when he checks. Fault number one but lets put that one aside.

Turn: (t3800) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t3200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t6400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t37390</font>, Hero ....

Interesting card giving me a pair of sixes and a nice kicker. When he bets out I am immediately putting him on a 6 here since he haven't tried bluffs or so while I have watched him at my table. So I re-raise and he goes immediately all in.

Would you call this

Exitonly
09-24-2005, 07:05 AM
no i wouldnt call this, and you gotta fold this preflop, or if you are absolutely determined to play it, raise. Limping w/ K6s is real bad.

betgo
09-24-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no i wouldnt call this, and you gotta fold this preflop, or if you are absolutely determined to play it, raise. Limping w/ K6s is real bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the tight bubble play, I think limping with K6s might be playable. I was at the table with Gigabet where he was the tournament leader and he limped hand after hand around the bubble.

The problem here is hero is the 2nd shortest stack with less than 10xBB, so this limping strategy is probably not a good idea.

You are representing a strong hand by limping here, but people are likely to assume you are scared of busted out and play with you.

The way to take advantage of the bubble as a short stack is to push. Push at big stack bullys and push or bet at scared short stacks.

In the hand, you should probably bet the flop. However, the blind could connect with the low flop, or represent that he did.

I don't see the point of the miniraise on the turn. Pushing, folding, and calling all seem like reasonable options.

You are pot committed to call the push, and villain may be making a move to scare you with being busted out. Even if you are behind, you probably have outs that make this close given the pot odds.

I also don't agree with the poster that K6s is not in general a good hand to limp with. I would come in after other limpers from late position with deep money with K6s all the time. It is a decent hand to open limp with from late position to maybe hit a big hand or outplay the blinds.

Exitonly
09-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Unless you can show me something convincing, i'm going to stick w/ what i said, K6s from EP (or ANY position for that matter) is a losing hand for most people, and i think it's bad to advocate playing it. And as far as reguarly playing K6s from LP.. that sounds like a leak to me, and i just don't agree with you here.

And as far as being pot commited in this hand... hero is only getting 1.24:1 odds to call the all in, uunless i'm missing something... that is NOT pot comitted here.. it doesn't look like hero is going to be good here moe than 40% of the time.

Dave D
09-24-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially this position.

I fold to that raise.

With 10 bbs your only move really should be push or fold, especially from that position, and I really don't like K6 enough to push it here with so many people left to act.

Exitonly
09-24-2005, 01:27 PM
bah i take back what i said about being pot commited, didn't notice hero's stack. I think i could still find a fold, but it's hard to say cause i wouldnt have been in the situation at all .

I guess a call is fineonce you get yourself into the situation.

betgo
09-24-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you can show me something convincing, i'm going to stick w/ what i said, K6s from EP (or ANY position for that matter) is a losing hand for most people, and i think it's bad to advocate playing it. And as far as reguarly playing K6s from LP.. that sounds like a leak to me, and i just don't agree with you here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero limped with K6s because the table was tight with the bubble. You said that was bad because you should never limp with K6s. I siad that it was bad because hero was short stacked, but it would be a reasonable bubble play otherwise.

I agree that K6s is not a good hand and you shouldn't limp with it regularly, but I don't agree you should never limp with it.

K6s is also a decent raising hand for steal raises, opening from CO or later, or short stack pushes. It is not a bad restealing hand to play back at a loose raiser with.

captainzodiac
09-24-2005, 03:24 PM
i don't like limping here at all,but if your table dynamics fit,it might be ok.once you got lucky here and only the big blind is calling,i would definitely take a stab at the pot behind his check of the flop,if he check/raises,i let it go!
as far as the line you took,looks like one that breaks you pretty often,2nd pair all in call is pretty tough to win with,especially when it's as low as a 6.

Exitonly
09-24-2005, 05:00 PM
i have no problem w/ raising to steal w/ K6s, or even a resteal w/ it, as it stands to be live more often than not vs a steal.. but i think limping in EP.. or even limping in LP after callers is begging for trouble that most posters on the baord wouldnlt be able to handle correctly.

billyjex
09-24-2005, 05:02 PM
not to be a dick, but you're a fish.

fnurt
09-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Let's assume for the sake of argument that it's fine to limp with the intention of stealing after the flop. Why the heck would you check behind on the flop?!

curtains
09-24-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's assume for the sake of argument that it's fine to limp with the intention of stealing after the flop. Why the heck would you check behind on the flop?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok as you are probably looking for honest opinions since you posted this on a forum to improve your play, I think that you played this hand very badly, starting with the preflop limp, which is pretty terrible.

09-24-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not to be a dick, but you're a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea in this very hand I am. 100% agreed. But here in Sweden it was at 4 in the morning and I was getting tired and restless. I never go with K6 otherwise.

Anyway, the flop check was bad, indeed. Instantly after I pressed check I was like "why did I do that?". I felt really stupid and it was a horrible play. Then the 6 comes and it ends up with me actually calling him and he shows 10, 6 off suit. He gets the ten on the river though so at least I knew he didnt have top pair. But I deserved to go busted on this hand. So many errors.

But I would still like to hear your thoughts on if you would call this if you ever came to this situation? It's a nice chance to dubble up or if you don't, you got a nice bed waiting for you /images/graemlins/smile.gif